Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 13, 2012   #1
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Curly top virus?

My tomato plants have been struggling with something. I first thought it was nutrient deficiency but I think it is more than that. Can somebody let me know if the problem shown in the pictures curly top virus or not? If so, I will have to toss the plants .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Disease1.jpg (278.9 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg Disease2.jpg (306.9 KB, 212 views)
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I hate to say this; but the second photo looks like TSWV. If that is what it is then that plant is a goner. The good thing about TSWV is it seems to hit random plants and in my experience doesn't spread too bad. The problem is the thrips that land on the plants and transmit it to them seem to come and go. Some years they infect a good portion of my tomato plants and other years only a few. I noticed a lot of them on some of my tomatoes a few days ago. I will not be surprised when some of my plants come down with it in the next few weeks. It seems to happen every spring around here.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012   #3
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

This is so frustrating. The plant in the first picture is Rosso Sicilian and the one in the second picture is Principe Borghese. Until recently, they were extremely happy, lush, and they had lots of flowers on them. Principe Borghese has currently many fruits on it. So fruits are gone too?

The problem is that I have a limited space and I can only grow one of almost each variety. It looks like my First Pick and Moskvich are also infected. And you are right some plants next to the infected ones look perfectly healthy.
Old April 13, 2012   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancethegardener View Post
This is so frustrating. The plant in the first picture is Rosso Sicilian and the one in the second picture is Principe Borghese. Until recently, they were extremely happy, lush, and they had lots of flowers on them. Principe Borghese has currently many fruits on it. So fruits are gone too?

The problem is that I have a limited space and I can only grow one of almost each variety. It looks like my First Pick and Moskvich are also infected. And you are right some plants next to the infected ones look perfectly healthy.
It's not TYLCV, it looks alot more like TSWV. I have it too, along with TYLCV. Spotted wilt comes from thrips passing the infection from one to the next, Yellow leaf curl comes from the silverleaf whitefly( called that because it turns cabbage leafs silver). I am in Florida too, and we all have a problem with both of these, especially if there has not been enough cold weather to kill them. South Texas and California are having the problem too. Neem oil, permethrins, malathion, insecticidal soap, ladybugs all kill both types of bugs mentioned, but it wont save the plant once infected.
PULL UP AND THROW AWAY THE INFECTED PLANTS or other plants will be infected. (That's the heartbreak of it).
If you decide to keep the fruit, which I don't think it will live long enough to produce, the virus will make them ripen only in parts, and some parts wont ever ripen, so the fruit is ruined anyway.
Sorry for this bad news
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012   #5
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

ginger and b54, I pulled the plants. Since this is not soil-born, I don't need to throw away the soil, right? Also some time ago I posted another picture in the photo gallery section. Could you please look at it and let me know what kind of disease, if not nutrient deficiency (maybe Mg?), this is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black Sea Man.jpg (232.5 KB, 126 views)
Old April 13, 2012   #6
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Also, do thrips keep living on the diseased plant or do they migrate to somewhere else? In other words, are they still in my garden?
Old April 13, 2012   #7
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

http://www.tomatospottedwiltinfo.org...-Riley2011.pdf

Good luck sad to see the healthy plants get hit. I had it last year on one of my plants.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012   #8
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I was at my mother's for Easter Sunday. Had to bring a bunch of new plants and check her plants. She had just a few white flies a couple of weeks ago and now she has a virus. We had to pull all her beautiful plants and plant new.
Unfortunately, I didn't have much variety left so she only got a few to choose from. But, at least we had a replacement for every tomato.
The real question is will they have time to set fruit before heat sets, being planted this late?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012   #9
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Check for russet mites, that is what I had earlier, now the plants look much better.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012   #10
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

They didn't look like they had any mites at all. Just deformed, tiny, curled leaves. Old growth was normal, new growth very abnormal. It wasn't like leaf curl from stress, either.
We yanked them, since I was pretty sure it was viral. I had two with something similar last year and they did nothing but sit there until I finally pulled them.
Oh, btw- thanks for the sulphur tip on mites! I got some ( it's so cheap, too!) and my nearly dead new climbing roses have new growth already! They were bald little sticks just three days ago!
Old April 13, 2012   #11
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
My tomato plants have been struggling with something. I first thought it was nutrient deficiency but I think it is more than that. Can somebody let me know if the problem shown in the pictures curly top virus or not? If so, I will have to toss the plants .
Can you show a closeup of those spotted leaves? Are they bronze? Now that, might be mites.
Old April 14, 2012   #12
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Be careful with the sulfur it will burn you plants if it gets too hot out
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2012   #13
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
ginger and b54, I pulled the plants. Since this is not soil-born, I don't need to throw away the soil, right? Also some time ago I posted another picture in the photo gallery section. Could you please look at it and let me know what kind of disease, if not nutrient deficiency (maybe Mg?), this is?
That is TYLCV, caused by the silverleaf whitefly. I called our local USDA and spoke to one of the PHDs there. She said it only takes one whitefly feeding on your helpless tomato plant for 15 minutes to transmit the virus. Has to be pulled up immediately and start right away on the control spray.
I use neem oil with a little soap in the mix, and apply weekly, but extremely thoroughly and especially on the underside of the leaves. Also make sure you spray only early morning or late afternoon, or the oil will give the leaves a severe sunburn.
It can be successfully managed. I do it right from the second wek outside now, and the prevention seems to be the trick. Good luck
Old April 14, 2012   #14
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Also, do thrips keep living on the diseased plant or do they migrate to somewhere else? In other words, are they still in my garden?
They do migrate so I am sorry but yes.
Old April 14, 2012   #15
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Crandrew, thanks for the link. Ginger, thanks for the information. I applied some OMRI listed Safer brand spray on them today (it has Pyrethrin in it). With "migration", I meant if they leave the garden after they feed the first time and don't come back within the same season.

Also, what are the ratios for the mix you use?