Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 17, 2009   #1
jsvand5
Tomatovillian™

Default Is there any type of spray that works on stinkbugs?

Stinkbugs really got me bad in the later part of last season, so this season I am hoping something can be done about them. Organic or chemical does not really matter to me. I just want these things gone. Thanks for any info.
jsvand5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2009   #2
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

oooooh, I just detest those leaf-footed stinkbugs - scuttling around in my maters. Being old & fat & having 8 foot high mater towers on top of 20 inch raised beds just made it all the more comical. Those so-in-sos see you coming & scuttle around to the far side of the vines. The only time I was reasonably certain I'd get 'em was when they were ... well... hooked up. BTW - mine laughed & (swear to God) shot a Monty Python maneuver in my general direction before scuttling off to stick their pointy proboscises into my mater vines & fruits!
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2009   #3
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Stinkbugs are not only in your garden or garden waste. They're in the walls of your home, barn, attic and other structures. They crawl in through any crack, crevice, or hole they can. Besides eating your plants and veggies, they will eat each other when there is no vegetation. They do eat other bugs, but they'll be very happy to eat your vegetation first instead.

Read these links: Stinkbug Control a really weird way to post info, but a good read.

Other Info
Scroll down the page.

~* Robin
Old March 17, 2009   #4
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I certainly feel your pain when it comes to stink bugs. Trap crops such as millet and maybe even sunflowers seem to be effective for some folks. Last year I used Ortho Max as a perimeter spray early on with my first application being before I actually planted out. I didnt spray the garden area, just the complete perimeter including the alley which has brush and high weeds where they might overwinter. I sprayed under shrubs along the fence line, the wooden fence, both sides of the house and the yard in general other than the garden area. I cant say that what I did made a difference but stinkbug population was way down from the year before. I also remove as many from the plants that I can.
Having said that, I sure hope they dont return in numbers like they did in 2007
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2009   #5
red

I detest pesticides, but I hate stinkbugs more! I recently was given an insecticide (Acephate 75SP AG) that is apparently used by farmers in our area primarily for thrips on cotton crops. I think they are similar "sucking" insects like stinkbugs. Here are some of the things I was told. (The person telling me this should know what he is talking about...but ????)
  1. It gives the bugs major constipation and they fly a few feet and drop dead. (I sure liked the sound of that)
  2. It is organic ??
  3. You can eat it and it won't hurt you. MMMM???
  4. You can use it as a furrow application at planting and/or as a foliar application.
A few things I have found in research:
  1. Residue disappears in tomatoes in 6 or 7 days..generally
  2. First introduced in 1970
  3. Widely used ....other countries as well as US
This kind of stuff is way outside my area of understanding. I have been trying to understand / research before using. Any comments appreciated.
Steve
Old March 17, 2009   #6
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I googled and here is something I found on Acephate 75SP AG
http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld0HR001.pdf
Sounds scary to me
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2009   #7
red

Thanks Kat. I have been finding the same kind of technical info. It is sort of like the insurance world....hard to find plain language! There is always the "fend off the liability stuff" in the way of getting to the nitty gritty. This stinkbug thing is really bothering me. I have watched it get worse year after year. I am convinced the "stinkers" are causing a lot of my disease problems. (Bringing disease from neighboring areas). I have noticed the stinkbugs are attracted to tomatoes. If you go after them with anything they fly away but come back quickly. I use very little pesticides. Some years none. I don't like it. The decline in "decent" local tomatoes over the years is what brought me to T'ville. I am hoping for some "miracle" stinkbug eradicator....looks like some other folks are too.
Steve
Old March 18, 2009   #8
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

I had problems with them last year. They were very open about attacking my maters. I even saw one today eyeing my little seedlings.
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2009   #9
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

It looks like an organophosphate. It does sound scary from the link you posted, but I have seen other links that are less scary. Just don't breathe it and wash your hands well after using. Main thing is to not spray it when bees are present.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2009   #10
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Red,
I like duajones idea of treating the perimeter of your garden better. We don't use many pesticides in our farming practice but agricultural sprays, especially if they're restricted ones are MUCH higher concentrates than you'd be able to buy in the store. Plus they are calculated for application by the acre, so you'd have to be careful to figure things out correctly for it to be safe to use/eat.
From what I read on your Acephate, it's not used to kill stinkbugs..but aphids and loopers. And it's got a moderate/high kill ratio on beneficials.
I'd go purchase something over the counter specifically for stinkbugs and for gardens. Just my opinion
Old March 18, 2009   #11
red

Thanks to all who responded!

I think the most reasonable approach is to treat the perimeter. The pests will certainly be there to some extent and in my situation they will likely be present in my bushy perimeter before I have much foliage in the garden. I am still interested in the Acephate. My interest is sparked by the experience of the person who suggested it; however, when it comes to polluting the environment you just can't be too careful. Barbee you are absolutely right about the agricultural formula being potent. The few ounces I was given can treat more than an acre. I have done a lot of reading trying to "nail down" a solution that I can trust to be "safe", but I haven't found it! I think my next step in understanding Acephate and its compatability with tomato gardening will be to go directly to the manufacturer. If I get something useful I will post!

Steve

Last edited by red; March 18, 2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: correct punctuation
Old March 19, 2009   #12
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

I had no luck last year in spraying the perimeter prior to planting. Stink bugs were everywhere. The only thing I found that killed them was soapy water. I used Dawn. It seemed to kill most of them when it got directly on them but still some others seemed unaffected. The good news is that they were all over everyone's house (including mine) but they pretty much left my tomatoes alone. I actually saw a couple walking around a couple of weeks ago when the temps hit the low 50's. Do they ever die???
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2009   #13
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomatovator View Post
Do they ever die???
They do die; but before they do, they multiply! Their ravenous appetites prove it.

Like outdoor cockroaches.

~* Robin
Old March 19, 2009   #14
dice
Tomatovillian™

We don't have that problem up here, but one would think that
some kind of small bird would find them nutritious and tasty.

That is one thing that may help in the absence of a known
predator bug that will eat them, attract birds to your yard
(bird houses, bird feeders, plants that birds like, etc).
Old March 19, 2009   #15
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Would it be the Woodpecker? I do hope so 'cause I just spent time yesterday cutting down all the small trees around the outside of the house. 10 trees leaning up against the house, is 10 trees too many! Shrubbery, yes. Trees NO. Whatever they were, they were invasive by Root. The squirrely ones were making holes in every part of the roof. Besides, I need the room for better things; like more tomatoes and veggies.

The small birds and Woodpeckers were annoyed, but they have bigger trees to tend to out front and in the back.

~* Robin