Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 5, 2014   #17
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDC View Post
...Building this one row took all the material I had, so I'm going to have to go grab a few bags of compost and I guess probably beg for other peoples' leaves for the top dressing on the next one. That'll have to wait for another weekend though....
Funny story: I saw a "horse manure available" notice some years ago on another gardening forum, and it just happened to be in the Virginia town where my cousin lived. So I jokingly emailed her the info. Well, it turns out that her husband had been wanting a horse (or maybe already had one) and wanted boarding facilities closer to home! They figured, where there's horse manure, there are horses! So they followed up, and discovered a great place to board the horse.

I visited a month ago and finally got to meet the horse...and shovel some horse manure. But it turned out that they don't actually use horse manure at their house!! (or maybe don't need the steady supply the horse provides).

Anyway, back home, I've been getting free horse-manure compost from a local boarding place. It's been working out pretty well in my gardens.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote