Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old April 3, 2011   #61
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
Thank you for sharing seeds from your crosses, Mark. Much appreciated.

I am growing the three quoted above in my garden this year.

Seeds were sowed 1/11 to 1/12, germination was good for all three (90+%), 100% of seedlings that germed were RL (which I pretty much expected anyway considering the parents for the ones you sent me), and I planted out in the garden 3/10 through 3/12.

Seeing several blooms already on all of these F2 plants of course (it is Texas!) and even the beginnings of fruit set on a few.
Well, you are way ahead of me Suze. I'm just now sorting PL vs RL in seedlings and fruit set is a couple months away.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2011   #62
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Thought I'd add some info to the thread. Here's a pix of the current seedlings. As you can tell, some seeds have only just broken thru. This is day 6 for these 6 cells. I put them off in their own little corner without close neighbors.

The JD's X Belmonte are from Ami. I did two cells of those to get a wide selection. Germination has been "awesome".

Anyhow, here's the pix. I be back with more pixs when the first true leaves show up.

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CrossedToms.jpg (169.1 KB, 53 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2011   #63
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

Excellent germination!! And these plants are thriving on neglect!

Sort of kidding, but mostly not! I put a great deal of thought into my soil recipe, speak sweetly to the sprouts and let nature take over.

Today I planted out:

NARX F3 x Zebra Heart (full sun, full wind, peppers and flowers for company)

NARX F3 x Violet Jasper (until noonish sun, very little wind with garlic and various herbs for company).

I use Wall O Waters until mid-May.

They are as isolated as my space allows; 50' from other tomatoes, and 50' from each other; separated by my house and well protected from rabbits.

Bring on the blossoms!!

I'll snap photos when the wows are removed.
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011   #64
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Some quick observations for now - will try to take photos in the next week or so.

NARX F3 x PBTD (3 plants) - Picked the first one today, but it's not quite ripe and needs to finish up on the counter - 2.5 oz or so I guess, pink, round slightly pointy at blossom end, which could be environmental.

Another plant shows some extreme striping (like PBTD does) - white and green striped fruits when unripe - and hard to say when I will see the fruits ripen or how big they may get.

Plant #3 - I need to look for it to see what the fruit is doing. Will look at my map and find it tomorrow. ;-) Edit, it's like the first one, small, a bit pointy and no striping.

SunSugar F1 x Green Copia (2 plants)
- 1.5 - 2 oz round pink fruits with great flavor and massive production, no striping.

Violet Jasper x Momotaro F1 (2 plants) - 2-3 oz round pink fruits with great flavor and massive production, no striping. Fruits on one of the plants do evidence some very vague "stripes" sort of in the fashion Indian Stripe does (darker green areas), but when the fruit is ripe, it completely disappears.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011   #65
brog
Tomatovillian™

MAN I`m always late getting in on Grow outs. Anyway I`d like to try==NARXBelsenoF2X BTD---NARXF3XBTD===Spud GiantX BTD===Spud GiantX Goose Creek Any or all, I`d like to try them with my Fall crop. THANKS Bill Rogers 247 Allen ct Lilburn Ga 30047
PS I`d like to have some Big Chef if you have any left.
Old June 2, 2011   #66
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Out of the seven plants - all said and done, only one gave me striped fruit.

That was one of the three NARX F3 x PBTD plants. I've never grown Pink Boar, but from pics I've seen, it sort of looks like that variety. I think the striping is a little more intense, though. Those fruits pictured are dead ripe, btw. Flavor is great and the fruits are 3 to 3.5 oz, pointy at blossom end.

Click for Larger Size

The fruits on the other two NARX F3 x PBTD F2s have some really terrific flavor, and are about the same size/shape, but are pink and not striped at all. I may grow this one again, even though not striped - it is that tasty.

Click for Larger Size
Old June 10, 2011   #67
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Nice looking fruit, Suze!

I've always liked variation of colors and shapes, and if the flavor is there to match - winner indeed!

Two from me, similar looking plants, fruit shapes a little different, fruit set about 12 days apart from each other - NARX F3 x ZebraHeart

Plant 1

Plant two (later one)

Now the exciting part, what colors are these going to be at maturity?

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2011   #68
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Duh. And your NARX F3 x ZebraHeart is looking great! Whatever colors it ends up being, I bet it's going to be pretty. Nice to see it's got such intense striping at the unripe stage.

Before I forget, I'd like to note that one of the non-striped NARX F3 x PBTD F2s I mentioned has a LOT of variability in fruit size. There is a term for this, but I can't recall what it is.

I picked some fruits that were over 5 oz today, surprised to see that since my plants are starting to decline in the heat, and if anything I'd expect the fruit to be getting smaller, not double the size of the first few I picked!

Now, I know the main purpose in this thread / Mark's offer was to find stripes, but I mention it because I really love the flavor of this non-striped one too and also because the one striped plant I got has never done that well (just my luck! - it is in a really bad spot).

So hard to say for sure what the size of those striped fruits might have been if the plant had done a little better.
Old June 12, 2011   #69
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Nice looking fruit D. The earliest of my plants are just beginning to flower. so it's fun to see what you and Suze have posted.

Mark
Old June 27, 2011   #70
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

Default Stupice x Green Copia F2

Please refer to this thread and find the tomato being discussed... you will see the F2 hybrid. My camera just took a nose dive off of the desk as I was uploading solo shots!

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=220851

This is the prettiest variety in my garden. This plant overcame an enormous amount of adversity. It's probably the toughest plant I've grown, and it was the only plant in a bed of Yellow pear, husky red cherry, juliet, JBT, Galina's, and Stupice to survive the onslaught of foliar bacterial infection that they encountered..that says a lot! Oh, and i trampled it shortly after transplanting. There was one TINY growing tip fighting for survival in wet and cold conditions with average lows around 40. This thing is TOUGH.

I sowed all received seeds, selected only for PL, found 3, and left them outside starting in january. This plant was the survivor, had stripes, PL, and is a beautiful golden color. Less than a 2% chance of that in one plant! they weigh about 2-4 ounces.

In the F3 I will be selecting for flavor and shape. Do you guys know if a yellow/gold F2 can throw greens in subsequent generations? I'm guessing no, as yellow flesh is a homozygous recessive trait?

Great cross Mark! Thanks for including us. Would you be cool with me naming this? I've got something special in mind.

Matt

Last edited by heirloomdaddy; June 27, 2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: typo
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2011   #71
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

will update after tasting.
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2011   #72
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Matt - I'm fine with you having naming rights .... As long as you send me seed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomdaddy View Post
Please refer to this thread and find the tomato being discussed... you will see the F2 hybrid. My camera just took a nose dive off of the desk as I was uploading solo shots!

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=220851

This is the prettiest variety in my garden. This plant overcame an enormous amount of adversity. It's probably the toughest plant I've grown, and it was the only plant in a bed of Yellow pear, husky red cherry, juliet, JBT, Galina's, and Stupice to survive the onslaught of foliar bacterial infection that they encountered..that says a lot! Oh, and i trampled it shortly after transplanting. There was one TINY growing tip fighting for survival in wet and cold conditions with average lows around 40. This thing is TOUGH.

I sowed all received seeds, selected only for PL, found 3, and left them outside starting in january. This plant was the survivor, had stripes, PL, and is a beautiful golden color. Less than a 2% chance of that in one plant! they weigh about 2-4 ounces.

In the F3 I will be selecting for flavor and shape. Do you guys know if a yellow/gold F2 can throw greens in subsequent generations? I'm guessing no, as yellow flesh is a homozygous recessive trait?

Great cross Mark! Thanks for including us. Would you be cool with me naming this? I've got something special in mind.

Matt
Old June 29, 2011   #73
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Mark,

I've noticed today, that that first fruit is starting to blush, so far, the color is similar dusky rose/green stripes as Suze showing in her first photo... I'm guessing another day or two... Will take photo, will taste, will save seeds from multiple fruits!

Regards,
D
Old June 30, 2011   #74
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Ok, I know it's a first one, but still excited to look at the cross cut and taste it...

Size - extra large egg... Flavor - very pronounced smoky flavor, with a good balance of sweetness and acid.

Seeds fermenting...

Regards,
D
Old June 30, 2011   #75
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

D - strange that both parents were larger fruited, I bet the fruit get bigger. I love the color, reminds me of Brad's brown and black boar - one of my favorites.

Mark