Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old June 18, 2011   #31
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

In the picture that's the one up from the bottom picture I see these large beefsteak shaped fruits.

What's with that? IS that truly one of the F2's that's so different from the others? Share with me again. You put out how many F2's and all had those mini hearts I covet but one of the plants gave you those beefsteak ones?

Just reminding you that my birthday is next week, I'm another year older and how long do I have to wait, fingers drumming the tabletop here, before you think you'll have something stabilized so that I can appreciate it while I, myself, am still viable.
Old June 18, 2011   #32
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn- Nice to hear from you! I dont get it either, I dont know where the beefsteak's came from!?

Walking the garden this am I realized I actually have 5 f2's growing out which 2 are showing beefsteak type fruit! And two which are closer to the f1. And one yet to set fruit.

And then there is my 'crazy cross' in which I have found a PL heart and two RL hearts which should intrest you.

Ahh yes the wonderful world of homemade crosses.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2011   #33
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Here is plant 4 which has set fruit, another beefsteak!?

Damon
Old June 24, 2011   #34
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

It may be a little early but I think I've found a small GWR beefsteak out of these 5 f2 growouts. These two guys have been sitting on the vine for 4 days slowly turning yellowish bronze from the bottom just like Green Doctors. I'm assuming by now I would have seen some orange color to them if they were going to turn red or pink. Here is a picture and it really doesn't do the coloring justice but here they are. If they are GWR's I cant wait to try them.

Damon
Old June 25, 2011   #35
clara
Tomatovillian™

Damon, you make me very curious about this cross(es)! I DO wish to have an accidental cross in my garden, too! Perhaps I should "play the bee"... clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2011   #36
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Update on suspected GWR tomato. Its official its a GWR, very similar to Green Doctors in color but much larger. I'd say these mini beefsteaks are in the 2-6 oz range. Flavor is also very similar to GD's with a sweet intense flavor. I ate the two in the pictures below so I will have to wait for some more to ripen so I can save some seed and just maybe grow a few f3's this fall.

Damon
Old November 6, 2011   #37
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Wow! Solid meat on the big one. So.. what new developments, if any?
Old July 7, 2012   #38
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

sirtanon and others interested-2012 Update. I have continued to pursue these cute and tasty little gwr beefsteaks. I'm growing (2) F3's this year. The only difference in the two thus far is the timegline off ripening. Other than that the growth habit, fruit size and shape are identical. So one plant has started producing ripe fruit. I will get a chance to taste them in the next day or two. Here are a couple pictures.

As a side note I have decided to pursue another selection I made from last year's f'2 which was a brownish red cherry that was very good.

Old July 7, 2012   #39
NewDawn223
Tomatovillian™

These are really pretty tomatoes.
NewDawn223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2012   #40
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the update, I am really enjoying your trails and just love seeing the pictures, how exciting it must be for you... the beginning of the thread those tomatoes look so good.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2012   #41
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Really enjoying to see this unfold as well. Please keep us posted. I'm especially interested because I have bred an intentional cross this year and am looking forward to the grow out over then next few years It's interesting to see how your cross, intentional or not progresses so I might know what expect.

Last edited by marc_groleau; July 7, 2012 at 06:26 PM.
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2012   #42
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Fruits are now starting to come in on both plants now. Size and shape have been the same.

Taste however has been much better from the fruit on plant #2

Damon
Old August 5, 2012   #43
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Damon, that is so cool! I just saw this thread, so now I'm going to want to follow and see how things progress year to year for you. Very fun!
Old August 5, 2012   #44
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Antoniette! Its has been a really fun and promising project.

Damon
Old May 4, 2013   #45
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Well on to the F4 grow outs. I've got 6 F4's out in the garden this year in 3 gallon growbags kept to 2 vines each plant. Each plant has set fruit already. Early fruit shape and fruit truss look much alike. Just hoping for that same good flavor. Picture below GDMC plants on the right.

DAMON

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1367712825783.jpg (162.1 KB, 84 views)