Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old September 28, 2019   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default 15 September 2019 Sweet Potatoes

http://durgan.org/2019/September%202...HTML/index.htm 15 September 2019 Sweet Potatoes
The last of the sweet potatoes were dug. One was dug abut a week ago and the total weight from four plants was about 15 pounds. Good quality.
They are dried a bit and stored in the root cellar and used as required.

Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2019   #2
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Nice size sweet potatoes.
Hello Durgan,

I often read northern climates do not have a long enough season, but obviously the variety you are growing is very happy. Do you have a favorite?
On whim I planted a single 4 inch pot of Beaugard, a shorter season variety, and left it to fend for itself. The temps turned chilly this week and we will have a brief midweek warm up before frost sets in. The guessing is almost over. Your photos are encouraging!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2019   #3
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Those are really nice, Durgan! What a great return from just four hills. What variety did you use? Baked sweets, mashed sweets, sweet potato pie.... Mmmmm! And you'll have warm thoughts of summer during cold winter.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2019   #4
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Durgan! Good to see you posting. I've always admired your dedication to preserving and healthy eating. Fine looking sweets.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2019   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Durgan! Good to see you posting. I've always admired your dedication to preserving and healthy eating. Fine looking sweets.
Me too.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2019   #6
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Me three!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Me too.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2019   #7
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

how do you get such uniform sizes and not monster sized tubers? I grew a dozen plants this year and I pulled a couple tubers from one plant and they are large enough to feed a family of 8 or maybe more....
Old October 8, 2019   #8
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Agree, I need tons of advice. I pulled mine today - one giant and two little Beaugards. I knicked them all taking them out with a shovel. At least it was something. I hope they don't rot during curing so I can taste a homegrown sweet potato.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2019   #9
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I've grown them several times. In a relatively short growing season, unlike the deep south, I've found one drawback in my garden. They do not have the time to develop a tough skins. The skins easily peel away, making storage almost impossible. So, I usually cook most of them right after digging, and then freeze them for later use.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2019   #10
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Hi Durgan,
What they don't get juiced?
Just kidding good to see you back.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2020   #11
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I use to post on this forum but got blackballed and cannot post properly so I moved on.

I have a good garden and live by preserving using less than half an acre.

This is what I get.

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
Oops! You do not have sufficient privileges to access this page. You might have accidentally tried to edit/delete someone else's post, access an administrative feature or other restricted process. Don't worry though, we understand that mistakes can happen.
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Old January 13, 2020   #12
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I have juiced sweet potatoes, but they keep well in my root cellar so store them that way.

[IMG]16 September 2016 Sweet Potato Juice
Posted on September 16, 2016 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2016/September%202...%20Juice/HTML/ 16 September 2016 Sweet Potato Juice
Seven pounds of the smaller sweet potatoes were made into seven liter of pressure canned juice. The slurry had very little gross material so it was only strained through the 2 mm mesh on the food mill. Seven liters of water was added to the cooking pot to make a drinkable juice. One pound of sweet potatoes to each liter of juice. The larger sweet potatoes were stored and will be used fresh. Pictures depict the juicing procedure.

Old February 24, 2020   #13
mn apples
Tomatovillian™

We grow in zone 4 Minnesota and would love any input from experienced growers from the north , This is what I know plant when soil has warmed , plant short season harvest before frost any other pointer would be helpful , anyone ever tried clear plastic for soil warming or other warming enhancers ? Thanks for any help
mn apples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2020   #14
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Awesome Sweet Potatoes
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2020   #15
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Durhan, where did you get the seed sweet potatoes originally?
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote