Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old November 18, 2015   #16
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

This is a really cool old thread and worthy of a bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner View Post
The hybrid vigor of F-1 Striped Students x Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blue was obvious....lots of suckering growth with many blooms. The hybrid had none of the physiological leaf rolling of HJB. So leaf rolling is recessive.
I didn't know there was a leaf rolling gene. I thought it was only caused by environmental stress - me doing something wrong as a grower. My HJB also had leaf roll; I thought it was just unhealthy. I also culled a plant of another variety earlier in the summer due to leaf roll. I was worried it had some sort of disease. It probably just had the leaf roll gene.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2015   #17
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blues has the leaf roll gene indeed. Every one of the plants i have grown has leaf curl. They do great but loom absolutely pathetic.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2015   #18
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
This is a really cool old thread and worthy of a bump.
Thanks - maybe Tom Wagner will drop in with an update on this interesting project!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2015   #19
travis
Tomatovillian™

Marginal leaf curl can be genetically tied to the nipple gene.

You may see marginal leaf curl in tomato varieties where the breeder used the nipple gene to tighten up the blossom scar in hybrid tomato cultivars.

The leaf curl associated with the nipple gene can result in higher susceptibility to Early Blight in those cultivars with the nipple gene driven marginal leaf curl phenomenon.

EDIT: http://tgc.ifas.ufl.edu/vol37/vol37h...l37gardner.htm

Last edited by travis; November 20, 2015 at 05:11 PM. Reason: to add link to research summary
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2015   #20
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

interesting
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2015   #21
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Throw me in the boat of people who will grow a tomato just cause its pretty to look at. Pretty food just taste better

Edit: Most of time...
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2016   #22
kchd..
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner View Post
The hybrid had none of the physiological leaf rolling of HJB. So leaf rolling is recessive. The rolling of the leaves allows more sun to mediate the blue coloring on the fruits.
I just stumbled onto this older thread. I'm hoping Tom can comment on physiological leaf rolling more. I'm growing Wagner Blue Green this year for the first time. I have a lot of leaf roll on my WBG plant. Not observing this in any of the other varieties including those planted in the same bed. So, my question is: Is this just something WBG does because of genetics? If so, I'm assuming I should just accept it and not be concerned.
kchd.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2016   #23
Captain Neon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Throw me in the boat of people who will grow a tomato just cause its pretty to look at. Pretty food just taste better

Edit: Most of time...
To a certain extent, I grow orange varieties for the same reason. Orange is my favourite colour. Just a few plants; not the whole garden. Orange Wellington last year; Anna Banana this year. Still trying to decide between Golden Ponderosa or Yellow Brandywine for next year.

We grew an Indigo Rose last year. It didn't taste bad, but there are varieties that we enjoy more.
Captain Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #24
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Dwarf Shadow Boxing is very beautiful and hopefully tastes as good as it looks..

Last edited by GrowingCoastal; June 22, 2016 at 04:36 PM. Reason: omission
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2016   #25
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Wow. I can't comprehend the amount of work and precision that has been going into this, but I can appreciate someone following their passion

Is the main purpose to increase the anthocyanins for added nutritional value, or is the blue tomato (and other veggies) just for beauty? I keep on reading that the taste is mostly nothing special, at least in the case of OSU Indigo...
Are there ANY blue tomatoes that taste great, to the point of saying, "Hey, this one's a keeper. I'm gonna grow it every year", and not because it's not stable, but because it tastes so good?
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2016   #26
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Neon View Post
To a certain extent, I grow orange varieties for the same reason. Orange is my favourite colour. Just a few plants; not the whole garden. Orange Wellington last year; Anna Banana this year. Still trying to decide between Golden Ponderosa or Yellow Brandywine for next year.

We grew an Indigo Rose last year. It didn't taste bad, but there are varieties that we enjoy more.
My money's on Yellow Brandywine Platfoot Strain, but if you're really looking for "orange" not gold or yellow, try Earl of Edgecombe, Orange Heirloom, or Schellenberg's Favorite.
Old August 16, 2016   #27
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Are there ANY blue tomatoes that taste great, to the point of saying, "Hey, this one's a keeper. I'm gonna grow it every year", and not because it's not stable, but because it tastes so good?
I like Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blue - I would like to see it crossed with Porter - could = A blue tomato with old fashioned taste that can oversummer in Texas and can still live and produce through an RKN infestation from March through November.

I have a basket of 50 or so Porters waiting to be eaten sitting in front of me August 15, and the Porter plants have flowers. In Texas, that's something special in August.

Dancing with Smurfs would work too in place of the HJB. I've grown many blue and Indigos. HJB is #1 and Smurfs are a close second in my book.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2016   #28
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Almost the same choice as AlittleSalt, but Dancing with Smurfs is tops for me followed by Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blues, though there's not much between them. They are both good cherries that do well here, I grow either one or both each year.
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2016   #29
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Marginal leaf curl can be genetically tied to the nipple gene.

You may see marginal leaf curl in tomato varieties where the breeder used the nipple gene to tighten up the blossom scar in hybrid tomato cultivars.

The leaf curl associated with the nipple gene can result in higher susceptibility to Early Blight in those cultivars with the nipple gene driven marginal leaf curl phenomenon.

EDIT: http://tgc.ifas.ufl.edu/vol37/vol37h...l37gardner.htm
I have only seen 3 accessions with the n gene, maybe it got usurped by the beaked gene...?