Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old February 26, 2016   #76
MissionGardens
Tomatovillian™

Ambiorix,
I think Im seeing blue contamination on a cherokee purple growing 4 plants away from an indigo rose.
What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160226_003736.jpg (182.4 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by MissionGardens; February 26, 2016 at 08:30 PM.
MissionGardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2016   #77
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionGardens View Post
Ambiorix,
I think Im seeing blue contamination on a cherokee purple growing 4 plants away from an indigo rose.
What do you think?
Most tomatoes show this level of anthocyanin production, quite independent of potential contamination from Indigo Rose genetics.

Even if this contamination effect did happen, it would only be an issue in plants you grew from seed collected from a plant which was cross-pollinated with Indigo Rose. A plant simply growing near Indigo Rose will have no impact on the fruit produced.
Old February 27, 2016   #78
MissionGardens
Tomatovillian™

Ok, thanks, I understand the implications. Im not concerned, just found it interesting. Im a bit skeptical its not contamination as its the only fruit showing antho shoulders on the plant and there are others, and no other set fruit on any other plants in the vicinity show antho shoulders. The indigo rose was harvested a couple weeks ago so it will be interesting to see if any more antho shoulders show up without antho pollen, as you suggest is normal.
MissionGardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2016   #79
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionGardens View Post
Ok, thanks, I understand the implications. Im not concerned, just found it interesting. Im a bit skeptical its not contamination as its the only fruit showing antho shoulders on the plant and there are others, and no other set fruit on any other plants in the vicinity show antho shoulders. The indigo rose was harvested a couple weeks ago so it will be interesting to see if any more antho shoulders show up without antho pollen, as you suggest is normal.
It does vary by temperature, intensity of light, and presumably other environmental factors which can impact one fruit differently than others on the same plant. The fruit skin tissue is 100% from the parent plant. The seeds in the fruit are where the genetic contamination can be.

Last edited by Darren Abbey; February 27, 2016 at 01:21 AM.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2016   #80
Ambiorix
Tomatovillian™

We notice very well the contamination the following generations: the blue color grows up year by year. I have every year of the people who test my following generations and who observe the phenomenon.

You should not deny this problem because it obliges us has to change opinion and to take useful precautions.

This year, I would have a greenhouse completely protected against bumblebees.
Ambiorix is offline   Reply With Quote