Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old September 25, 2013   #1
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

Default Cross pollinating tomato's

I posted this question on the main tomato board, and Carolyn suggested I post this question on this forum.

Can someone please explain the merits of crossing tomato varieties. I believe I know how to make the cross (from youtube videos), but after making the cross, and saving the seeds from the cross what do I do next? I assume I earmark the tomato I crossed, and save the seeds. Can I cross an heirloom w/ a hybrid tomato? What can I expect from the crossed tomato seeds?

I want to cross a Juliet tomato with an Indian Stripe tomato.

What I do not understand is if I make the cross, and grow out the crossed tomato, and save the seeds, and plant said seeds next growing season what can I expect from the saved seeds?
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2013   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

First: Have you seen this website: http://kdcomm.net/~tomato/gene/genes.html

Next: What is your goal in crossing these two.

Yes you can cross a hybrid with an heirloom. How much variance you'll get in the next generation will depend on what the hybrids parents were like.

I'm going to give a guess on what the saved seed is going to produce based on what I've read and not experience.

A red tomato maybe with very faint stripes, indeterminate, regular leaved plant. I wouldn't be surprised that the size and shape was variable, unless Juliet's parents happened to have the same size and shape of fruit.

The next generation I'd expect all kinds of shapes, sizes and colors.

I'll wait and see if any of the experienced breeders agree with anything of my guess. I mostly want to see if I'm beginning to under stand tomato genetics at all.

Last edited by Doug9345; September 25, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2013   #3
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Doug. I garden in Hutto Texas, and I have had problems growing tomato's in the fall. Over the last four, or five years I have had grest success with Indian Stripe, and Juliet in the fall. I have grown Juliet in the spring, but I do not like them in the spring. But in the fall they are great if that makes any sense. I use them for a salad tomato. Indian Stripe are great in the spring, and also in the fall. Juliet in the fall have zero disease issues, and are very prolific. They set fruit in the heat of Aug., and Sept. I have three Juliet plants in the ground, and I saw my first "red" tomato last night. I will be picking tomato's as soon as next week. Indian Stripe also set's fruit early, but not as early as my Juliet's, but they will ripen before the first frost. My goal would be to get a tomato that sets fruit early in the fall with minimal disease issues, hopefully a larger beefstake type of tomato that is a very prolific producer.................I know that is a lot to ask, and I will probably be dissappointed, but it would be fun to try. Thank you again
Old September 25, 2013   #4
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

Doug...I just read the link you referenced, and it looks like I would have a better chance to win the lottery. If there was one trait I would pick from the Juliet tomato it would be setting fruit in the heat. The picture linked below was taken approx ten days ago. I planted the all of my fall plants on July 15th. Like I said I have three Juliet plants, and they are all loaded w/ fruit. All of the fruit pictured set fruit in over 100 degree weather with night time temps above 73 deg.....and there is not a yellow leaf on the plant.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps31d4e3cf.jpg

Last edited by hornstrider; September 25, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old September 25, 2013   #5
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornstrider View Post
What can I expect from the crossed tomato seeds?
In the first generation you can expect the children to be more vigorous and yield heavier than either parent. Increase of yield is typically between 30% and 150%. You can expect the traits of the children to be a blend between the traits of the parents. In the next generation you can expect a lot of diversity with some tomatoes like the original parents with traits switched between them, and some tomatoes that are a blend between the two original parents. If you start with two great tomatoes you can expect the children and grandchildren to be great tomatoes.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2013   #6
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Joseph. Sounds exciting. I hope the children taste like the Indian Stripe. That would be awesome. Would I best take the pollen from the Juliet, and mate w/ the Indian Stripe, or the other way around.............or does it matter
Old September 25, 2013   #7
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornstrider View Post
Would I best take the pollen from the Juliet, and mate w/ the Indian Stripe, or the other way around.............or does it matter
The order might matter. But unless you do it both ways and take detailed measurements you probably wouldn't notice a difference.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote