Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old October 4, 2007   #1
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Default Anybody grow pomegranates?

I'm working on planting a small orchard at our new place. There is about a 2 acre patch near our house that already has a mature pear tree and a small fig. I planted my 3 fig trees (which I had been growing in pots at the old apartment). I plan to add a couple of plums, peaches, and maybe one day even grapevines.

One of the fruits I am particularly interested in growing are pomegranates. I love the fruits, and the juice is awfully expensive at the grocery store. I know they will grow around here. When I was a kid a little boy across the street had a tree in his backyard, and I remember lots of stained lips and t-shirts when the fruits were ripe

Does anyone here grow them? I'd like some tips, as well as a good source for the trees. I was really young when our neighbor had the tree, but I don't recall them really having to do much with it.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Jennifer
jenn_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2007   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Hi Jennifer,
Sorry I just saw this, I haven’t been around for a couple of days.
Be careful when you buy a pomegranate.
There are many different kinds out there some are just ornamental.

The one you want is called wonderful this is the type they make the juice from, thus the name.

Pomegranates don’t need a pollinator as some fruits do so you can grow just one.

My little pomegranate has more than doubled in size in the last year.

You can train the (tree) to be a tree by cutting back the suckers or it can be a bush or what ever you want.

I have seen them grow in all types of soil, with neglect they will live with nurturing they will thrive.

This is a better way, here are some links.
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pomegranate.html

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/pomegranate.html

You should be able to buy wonderful pomegranate trees in any good local nursery.
(((Cheap))) Maybe $5.00-$10.00 for a little bush

You have picked a very healthy fruit to enjoy; it goes back to biblical times.

Viva le pomegranate!!!!

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; October 6, 2007 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Spelling :>(
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2007   #3
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Thanks Worth!!

Good advice about not getting an ornamental type. I never thought of that. I will seek out some "Wonderful" bushes.

How old is yours, and do you get fruits yet?

I'll bet jelly made with pomegranate juice would be awesome! Maybe homemade wine, too...hmmm
Old October 10, 2007   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I’ve had it in the ground now for about 1 ½ years the first year was hot and dry and it was about 2 feet tall.
The next season was wet and the tree is about 7 feet tall.
I don’t know how old it is as I don’t know how long it takes to grow two feet tall from seed.
I would just about bet it is a cutting from another tree and rooted.
This year no fruit but I had a few blooms, it didn’t need to fruit anyway, ‘it was too small.

Most trees just hang on for the first two or three years and when the roots take hold then they start to grow faster.

Another tree you should think about is a bay tree.
There is nothing like going out and picking a fresh bay leaf for your favorite soup or stew.
They are slow growing and can grow in a partially shaded area, I have two, the darn dear keep eating on one of them.
Here is a link to bay trees.

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/launobilis.htm

They should grow in your area just fine, ‘that is if you like bay leaves.

If you or anybody else needs help on plants you can eat such as bay or anything else just give me a holler I will be glad to help any time.
If I don’t know off hand I will do the research.

I love to spread the word on edible and medicinal plants.

Worth

Old October 10, 2007   #5
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Default trees

Thanks Worth for that great link about bay laurel. I have one in a pot that I haul in and out in the summer. I've had it for 3 years and it is about 1.5 high and bushy. I did have a problem with scale last year...noticed it when it was indoors for the winter. So far I haven't seen any of those lice looking critters.
What other herbs do you grow?
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2007   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sue I will have to get back with you.
I'm headed south to Texas today.

A big wave to Sue and Sherry.

See you guys in two weeks and you all better have some cold weather when I get back.
Im sick of this 14 degree stuff, 'feels like a heat wave.

Worth
Old October 12, 2007   #7
rodger
Tomatovillian™

JENN, This is Rodger I live in Little Mountain SC and I have a 100plus year old Pomegranite tree, actually two. I have 40 two year old plants that are about 2ft tall. This tree is about 20ft tall and 10ft around and I sually get a couple of wheel barrels full of softball size fruit, however the late freeze this year killed the tree back a few feet and I only have one small fruit. You are welcome to a plant. I will be having them at the Pee Dee plant and flower show April 10-13 along with my Heirloom tomatoes peppers eggplant and other vegetable starts. I can get one too you then if you like. The plants are a little big to ship and I would rather wait for them to go dorment. They are in 4 inch pots. Let me know if interested I am 110 miles from from the Pee Dee market, you can talk to Bobbie she has been to little mountain at the Tomato Tasting which was less than a mile from my house. Rodger
rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2007   #8
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Wow, thanks Rodger!
I would love to buy a couple of trees from you. I can definitely wait until April. (I usually make it to the festivals at the Pee Dee market). Were you at the fall festival last weekend? A shame to think I may have missed you by a week!

I'll email Bobbie this weekend. I remember she went to the tasting in Little Mountain. Hmm...maybe we could take a little day trip up there this fall. She lives close to me and w've met in person this summer, and have emailed back and forth a few times.

Do you have any other fruit trees for sale?

Worth, thanks for the bay tree suggestion. That's a great idea! I love bay leaves in soup and black-eyed peas!

Jennifer
Old October 13, 2007   #9
rodger
Tomatovillian™

I was not at the fall festival. I have had many request to do the fall shows but my work schedule didn't allow it this year but I believe I will do them next year. I would be happy to give you a tree at the spring festival. I do have other fruit trees but none that I have rooted or grown. I grow the pomegranite because I had so many request for it from people who have come by to buy vegetables from me. My greenhouse growing is reserved for heirloom tomatoes, peppers eggplant , melons and squash plants I also grow several ornamental peppers. I will be certified organic for the 2008 season so I wil offer organic plants, seed and seasonal vegetables. I also custom grow plants for individuals and market growers. With this persistant drought other than some collards and a few other greens I have not done a fall garden and I have lost lots of ornamentals in my yard. I look forward to seeing you next spring. Rodger
rodger is offline   Reply With Quote