Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old May 3, 2010   #1
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Default "Off" years for raspberries?

Do raspberries have "off" years?.... Mine did very well last year, but look weak and pale, while still blossoming....Been in the ground for 4+ years, same fertilizing, etc...thanks...
Tom
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I've been growing mine for 6-7 years and haven't noticed any off years.

Do you prune out the old canes? Mine bear heavily for a month in spring and then less heavily for a couple months in the fall. So I prune out the canes that have fruited in late spring, and then thin out the weakest canes anytime from late fall to early spring. Once they're dormant, I add several inches of homemade compost, and sometimes add more compost in the spring.

You're supposed to thin to a strong cane every 4-6 inches, but I don't get around to that every year.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010   #3
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

With all the blight and moisture diseases going around last year, the plants may have been weakened or soil tainted. Check for cane borers too.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010   #4
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

habitat....thanks. yes, I do the pruning every year, so that's not it. My plants bear similarly. The fertilizer I used this year was a littlle lower nitrogen and maybe that's it...I could also do more compost....got quite a few blossoms and fruit forming, but the plants just don't look as robust as last year

dustdevil....thanks for the possibilities, but don't think any of those
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote