Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2016   #46
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.
Posts: 37,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertino View Post
I guess I got lucky! I also planted some milkweed in the front, maybe that will be a peace offering this year for the caterpillars.
There is one species of butterfly that eats these vines and nothing else.
If they see your vines you are doomed.
It may be because you are so far north they dont come that far.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...16636494,d.eWE
__________________
A Falling Knife Has No Handle

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #47
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™
 
Vespertino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Southlake, TX
Posts: 711
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
There is one species of butterfly that eats these vines and nothing else.
If they see your vines you are doomed.
It may be because you are so far north they dont come that far.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...16636494,d.eWE
I guess I dodged a bullet there. Then again what I lack in those butterfly caterpillars I more than make up for in green army cutworms. I had issues with those, the Mantids didn't like to eat 'em.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #48
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.
Posts: 37,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertino View Post
I guess I dodged a bullet there. Then again what I lack in those butterfly caterpillars I more than make up for in green army cutworms. I had issues with those, the Mantids didn't like to eat 'em.
Speaking of mantids yesterday was a good reason for me not cutting and pruning in the fall.
I found some eggs on one of my ornamental limbs up front not hatched out yet.
I try to wait till they have hatched out before I cut back anything and look at every limb before I cut.
Seems silly but I go to the extremes not to hurt the good critters.

Worth
__________________
A Falling Knife Has No Handle

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #49
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™
 
Andrey_BY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minsk, Belarus, Eastern Europe (Zone 4a)
Posts: 2,122
Default

Those look so nice, Kelly. Especially the one with orange flowers.

I can only grow them indoor here in Zone 4a... as we do of several Passiflora varieties from Australia (got the seeds from Rose-Mary Lacherez in 2000s)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTycoon View Post
Passionflower is also super beautiful and grows quickly. It does well in our climate, but you'll see it popping up everywhere once it fruits because birds and critters eat the fruit and "deposit" seeds all over your yard. There's a ton of different varieties, all their flowers are so unique and nice to look at:







__________________
1 kg=2.2 lb , 1 m=39,37 in , 1 oz=28.35 g , 1 ft=30.48 cm , 1 lb= 0,4536 kg , 1 in=2.54 cm , 1 l = 0.26 gallon , 0 C=32 F

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; March 15, 2016 at 03:04 PM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #50
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™
 
Vespertino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Southlake, TX
Posts: 711
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Speaking of mantids yesterday was a good reason for me not cutting and pruning in the fall.
I found some eggs on one of my ornamental limbs up front not hatched out yet.
I try to wait till they have hatched out before I cut back anything and look at every limb before I cut.
Seems silly but I go to the extremes not to hurt the good critters.

Worth
If you found a shrub branch with a mantis ootheca on it you can cut the twig (leave a few inches of twig attached on either side of the ooth) that the ootheca is on to move it and tie it to a safer place to hatch.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2019 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★