Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 7, 2007   #31
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

10 hours? Wow... I can make the Poconos in a little over 4 hours!

I don't have an ebay store...I'm not a business and I only occasionally throw them up on ebay... if I do it's in the spring, maybe 200-300 varieties in 1 ad. And I usually try to help people out if they are looking for a few varieties all year long, though springtime I usually have them all in one spot to make things easier.

I'll see if I can make a file to post here similar to this one but sorted on production--this one is sorted by brix (sugars.) Many of the paste types have higher sugars than most beefsteaks and slicers, and currant types are high too.

korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2007   #32
where_with_all
Tomatovillian™

Mark -what a beautiful list. I love it. I know brix is not a good measure of flavor- but for lack of other variables i'll take it

Its about 3-3.5 hours to the poconos for me. so that is about right. Remember- I have to go through or around NY city.

thanks

WWA
Old September 13, 2007   #33
where_with_all
Tomatovillian™

Korney

So which would you say has better production?

Kaman’s Hungarian Pink
Speckled Roman
Wagner Italian pink
Sarnowski Polish Plum

I did not see these on your list? How do they compare to joe's plum and ernie's plum which are on your list? any comparisons (more than , less than) is good.

I know I am pumping you for info but I just don't have room in my garden to plant 5 varieties.
Old September 13, 2007   #34
where_with_all
Tomatovillian™

Sorry- I meant to say Kalman's
Old September 13, 2007   #35
korney19

I think it's a toss-up... I think Speckled Roman & Wagner's you get more ripe at one time... Kalman's are bigger/heavier though. Sarnowski, for me, it was like 1 ripe, then a week later 2 or 3 ripe, then a few days later maybe 2 ripe, etc. Speckled Roman I was getting 3-5 ripe at a time. All results I'm talking about are for 1 plant. I think Speckled & Wagner's were maybe the highest of those 4, don't remember Kalman's(--been a few years) & don't think any had the overall production Ernie's Plump had. Sarnowski I'm growing first time this year and season isn't over yet. I harvested 3 last Saturday for the tastetest and it looks like there are 2 more ripe ones now/yesterday... if that means anything.

How many plants are you considering growing? I usually grow 1 or 2 plants of many varieties instead of many plants of 1 variety. This way you get to experience more varieties, tastes, shapes, etc in the same year.
Old September 13, 2007   #36
where_with_all
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Mark,
I think I can do two or three varieties of paste and still have room for other veggies and tomatoes. I like to do at least four plants because you never know what happens during the growing season. You could lose a few plants during the summer to pests, bugs, weather, etc.

I think your comment on kalmans are worth noting because if you do any canning it is hard to just pick two or three at a time without 10 or so plants.

Suze-- you have recommended Sarnowski on several places on this board. I would love to get your input on Sarnowski compared to the others I have mentioned and as a different view from Mark.
Old September 13, 2007   #37
where_with_all
Tomatovillian™

I meant to say I like to do four plants of each variety
Old September 13, 2007   #38
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Suze-- you have recommended Sarnowski on several places on this board. I would love to get your input on Sarnowski compared to the others I have mentioned and as a different view from Mark.

I'm not Suze and I'm sure she'll chime in but since I was the person who introduced Sarnowski Polish Plum I guess I've grow it the most and I think it's a great paste tomato, if that's what you insist on using for sauces, etc.

Mark said he got his plants in late and by now if I were growing it it would be done for the season.

There are lots of good paste tomatoes that Mark didn't mention, and I'll mention just a couple of them, both fairly new.

Perito Italian
Matt D'Imperio

Seeds for both of these, as well as Sarnowski are found at the Sandhill website along with many other pasters that weren't mentioned here.

Actually Glenn lists what he considers to be pasters in a separate section and there are about 40 of them there, although I don't agree with a few of them being in that section.

I'm too lazy to go back up and look at Mark's list but if he didn't mention Heidi, I will, which is becoming a favorite of many. Also Wuhib and Martino's Roma. As I said, I didn't go back up to check/

And I had to chuckle a bit when I read thru Mark's list b/c last week I was trying to remember a variety that someone near Rochester sent to me years ago and there it was, Tyboroski Plum, also a good one. But again, like Kiev and Khirhiv and many others, and I include Amish Paste in this group, they're named a plum or paste, but are far too juicy in that respect. So not all plums are the meaty kinds of varieties that folks who want to use pasters should be using.

But in the end almost everyone I know uses just great tasting tomatoes for sauce rather than sticking to the pasters.
Old September 13, 2007   #39
korney19

Speaking of Matt D'Imperio, did you find your notebook for 2004 yet Carolyn? With which hearts were where?
Old September 13, 2007   #40
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Speaking of Matt D'Imperio, did you find your notebook for 2004 yet Carolyn? With which hearts were where?
No, I haven't Mark and Matt D' Imperio isn't a heart anyway.

Before I get another e-mail from my brother asking me if I found our great grandfathers' discharge papers from the Civil War that has first prioirity.

I can't get to many places here in my home with my walker so my brother said he'd even pay Freda to rummage through the large closet that's off my bedroom.

Are you willing to pay Freda to look for that 2004 growout data?
Old September 13, 2007   #41
wesleythewatch
Tomatovillian™

I have only just started growing tomatos for sauce preperation. I grew ROMA VF and they have been lovely. I'm lead to believe it's the most popular veriety in Italy.
Old September 13, 2007   #42
wesleythewatch
Tomatovillian™

http://www.seedsofitaly.com/product/25

Here's where I got them
Old September 13, 2007   #43
korney19

Hit the jackpot today on Roughwood Golden Plum and Wuhib... a dozen each...

Old September 13, 2007   #44
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Wow those roughwood golden plums look good and would make a very different coloured sauce. Glad I snagged a few seeds of those at the B-NTTF last Saturday. Were any of the Wuhib there, Mark?
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2007   #45
korney19

I just checked the final list that appeared... no Wuhib. But I had Wuhib seeds in my giant shopping bag I brought...