Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 30, 2010   #1
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Default 10-gallon Smart Pot; mix/fertilizer question

I've read several thread re: mixes for containers, but am still a little confused about the fabric Smart Pots. I use the outstanding Pro-Mix BX for my Earth Boxes, but my understanding is that you should use a mix that is a little more 'water retentive' for Smart Pots. Would a combo of Pro-Mix and the garden mix (loam/shellfish compost, 50/50) from my local greenhouse prove effective? How about Raybo's mix (Peat, bark fines, perlite) amended with some heavier compost?
In addition; what about fertilizer? I use Espoma's line of goodies...in this case; I would be using Tomato Tone for my beauties...does anyone out there have experience with Espoma, and if so; how much for a 10-gallon container? (The directions are a bit vague.) I know this has been discussed a million times, but these Smart Pots are a different animal compared to the containers I have used in ther past, and I don't want to screw up (not with Cherokee Purples, Kellogg's Breakfast, Black Cherry, Paul Robeson, and Vorlons 'on the line'!)

Thank you!
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

This Year I'm using a mix similar to Raybo's mix for my containers which are 5-10 gallons and feel perfectly comfortable with it. I used the same mix last year minus the Bark fines in my 10 gal Smart Pot that I grew Cowlicks in plus all my other containers as well. As far as I am concerned I wouldn't get overly concerned with the mix as long as you have the basics, white peat,coir,perlite and pine bark fines if you so desire you should be OK. Mix in some dolomic lime, ferts with micros and that should cover it. You will have to supplement the ferts later on in the season with periodic soil drenches. Here's a picture that might interest taken last year. Ami
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_0327.jpg (191.1 KB, 108 views)
Old May 30, 2010   #3
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Ami!
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote