Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 30, 2015   #31
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Overwintering technique is the only way to get production from long season peppers in my climate. My shimatougarashi (Okinawan Island Pepper) is flush with fruit and flowers!
I grow mine in Earthtainers in a sunny south facing window.

Jeff Z3A
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #32
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokutaaguriin View Post
Overwintering technique is the only way to get production from long season peppers in my climate. My shimatougarashi (Okinawan Island Pepper) is flush with fruit and flowers!
I grow mine in Earthtainers in a sunny south facing window.

Jeff Z3A
What about pollination?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #33
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ella,
I sometimes use an electric tooth brush or just jiggle the plant.
JEff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2015   #34
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffrey44 View Post
I don't know that you necessarily have to bring them inside unless your weather approaches freezing point.Just so long as you protect them from frost they should get along ok...They might look a bit unhappy and you might lose a few but they would probably be the natural selection thing at work
Where Luigiwu is (which is warmer than where I am) no peppers would make it outside during the winter. I brought in over 20 last year, albeit in not-so-well-heated space, only one made it -a jalapeno.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2015   #35
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Not sure why that is, Taboule. If it is reasonably lighted, and you water once in awhile, they should mostly survive.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2015   #36
taboule
Tomatovillian™

They were in a room that had plenty of light (7x windows on 3 sides), but well insulated from the rest of the house, and not heated. Probably got too cold for extended durations.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2015   #37
geoffrey44
Tomatovillian™

I can understand the problems. My front patio is a mass of dropped leaves and the chillies are looking sick and on the way out.. We are undergoing a record cold winter with weeks where the temp does not exceed 11c...Sun with warmth is a distant memory. I am quite certain that the chillies will shortly resemble sticks. However based on the past with the return of the sun I will trim off the obviously dead parts ,add some fertiliser and hit them with some good compost and most ( If not all will respond )
Here is the strange one though...
I have a Jalapeno in a pot which is cracked and in any case is too heavy to move so I have had to leave it in the open, uncovered in the cold, frost,rain etc completely exposed and yet it is still bearing ( pic ) and shows no sign of going into hibernation or weather effects....Cant work it out and not asking questions !...Perhaps this variety is either more hardy or has a different genetic makeup...don't know !
Geoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 013 (Custom).JPG (270.1 KB, 91 views)
geoffrey44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #38
Reelcharacter
Tomatovillian™

Sent you a PM Scott - thanks for the offer!
Reelcharacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2015   #39
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I am glad I didn't plant my ghost pepper in the ground then. I was a little worried at how slow it was to grow but now it is loaded with peppers. hundreds of them on the plant... now what do I do with them? I sure am not eating them. I grew them for my BIL and I kept one just to see what it would grow like. It is a beautiful plant with peppers down every stem and few are turning orange now.
Old August 13, 2015   #40
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Ghost peppers make great salsa!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2015   #41
Reelcharacter
Tomatovillian™

clkeiper - share a photo - the plant sounds great!

If you will have a bunch of seed to share, please put me on your list. My son's and I are currently enjoying a little tomato and pepper plant growing rivalry.
Reelcharacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2015   #42
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

You can overwinter sweet pepper plants too as well as the hots. Esecially since the hots are so hard to germinate sometimes, overwintering is the way to go.

Like Scott said, they do look like sticks. A few if they get enough light and warmth from your home they will try and still make peppers. I generally pick those off so as not to stress the plants for spring.

Taboule... and anybody else that has too cold of a room. You might consider doing a pot-in-pot method when bringing the plant in. Just take your pot and find a pot with at least a two inch wider width. Put some soil in the bottom, plop in your plant, pot and all , and then fill dirt in around that pot. Gives your plant extra insulation.

Scott.... I have not tried the Yellow Scorpion. Have you tried the Chocolate Scorpion yet? I had a few seeds at one time, but was never able to get them to germinate. I don't know why, but for me, I have lots of trouble with any chocolate hot pepper seed molding and not germinating.

The Scorpions are neat plants to look at and very...very hot! I say they are not just hot , they burn! A little goes along way with them.

Last edited by Starlight; August 13, 2015 at 10:24 AM. Reason: add word
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2015   #43
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I have not tried the Chocolate Scorpion.

I should, though.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2015   #44
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I'll try to get one up. I haven't been really successful yet... not today, though. I am off to an evening market and tomorrow I bake bread all day and my mom is in the hosp for a knee replacement today and I am sure she will feel bad if I don't make it out there tomorrow... sometime. I am tired already knowing how much I need to fit into the day... Then a market again on Sat...
Old August 16, 2015   #45
lexxluthor
Tomatovillian™

Nice job on the overwinter she's spitting out a ton of pods.
lexxluthor is offline   Reply With Quote