Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 24, 2012   #61
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Lyle I usually wait at least a couple of days to see if another spraying is necessary. I have sprayed on back to back days when it was raining each day and the diseases were going crazy; but other than that I have always given them at least 3 days between sprayings. I only spray late in the evening when the sun is down or very very early in the morning so the bleach is already oxidized by the time the sun hits them.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012   #62
deerhunter
Tomatovillian™

been reading all you guyes replys. i'm up here in massachusetts and just set out my plants yesterday after being in the greenhouse for 6 weeks. i do have problems with diseases. mostly septoria leaf spot. nothing is showing up yet. when do you think i should start spraying ? i have dacinol and will try the bleach solution.thanks. bill.
deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012   #63
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I would spray with Daconil today. If you get that out as a preventative, you have a good chance at stalling the onset of disease. The bleach solution is a hail Mary play in my opinion. I don't normally do it, but, if all else fails and I'm desperate, I'll try it. There are other good things you can do to prevent disease onset that you should strongly consider: Actinovate, seaweed extracts, tea's with vinegar and fish sprays too. Other less slash and burn tools than bleach also include Serenade and Excel lg. Prevention before you see the first problem goes a long ways. Good luck.

Dewayne mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012   #64
trout250
Tomatovillian™

have a problem similiar to this and posted about it earlier today then found this post, I am going to try the bleach /water because i found some of the spots onmy "fooled you" peppers will spray and poste results

thanks jim
trout250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012   #65
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Dewayne is right. The bleach is a last resort because it has no real preventative use. It is used when the disease is already present. Saying that I would also caution about waiting too long to use it. If the Daconil or other fungicide is not stopping the disease and it is spreading fast then don't hesitate to use the bleach solution. Once diseases show symptoms there are usually many more infected areas that are not visible to the naked eye and if you wait til the plant shows symptoms on most of the foliage the bleach will demolish all the sick leaves. This will leave you with a large stick with tomatoes on it and a little green spot on top. I have several of those right now thanks to Gray Mold which I had to wait on spraying because of a prolonged period of rain. I should have gone out between showers and sprayed with the bleach solution mixed a bit stronger for use on wet plants.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote