Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 23, 2012   #16
John3
Tomatovillian™

RayR do you know if the Azoxystrobin is collected into the fruits or just the stems and leaves?
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2012   #17
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Thanks RayR - - that might nix the idea of using the diluted (0.31%) as a soil drench. Question: would the resultant benefits in fungal mitigation outweigh the reduction in myco population??

Raybo

p.s. Seeing your location just reminded me. I had a case of Chef's Pasta Sauce, some Anchor Bar Wings Sauce, Grandma Browns baked beans, and a box of Buffalo Sponge candy delivered here today. Kind of miss the old tastes from there....

I have no idea, I don't know if or how much Azoxystrobin would be taken up by roots and into the leaves. This is new to me, I've just picked up bits and pieces of info since Ami posted this.

You know, I've never thought of Grandma Browns baked beans as being a Buffalo thing. It's made up in Oswego county I think. I thought it was a nationally distributed brand, but I guess not.
Just don't gorge yourself on all that good stuff at once.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2012   #18
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
RayR do you know if the Azoxystrobin is collected into the fruits or just the stems and leaves?
I don't know that either. I guess since it's systemic some of it would make it into the fruit. Maybe Ami knows more about that.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012   #19
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here is a good overview on Azoxystrobin.

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/pesticides/...oxystrobin.pdf

Quote:
Most of the azoxystrobin is mabolized by the plant. Here is a link to a study on the subject.

http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templat...oxystrobin.pdf

And here is the conclusion from the above study.

DIETARY RISK ASSESSMENT
Long-term intake
The International Estimated Daily Intakes (IEDIs) of azoxystrobin based on STMR and STMR-P
values estimated for 82 commodities or commodity groups for the thirteen GEMS/Food regional diets
were 2–10% of the maximum ADI (0.2 mg/kg bw). The results are shown in Annex 3 of the Report.
The Meeting concluded that the long-term dietary intake of azoxystrobin residues is unlikely to
present a public health concern.
Short-term intake
The 2008 Meeting decided that an ARfD for azoxystrobin is unnecessary and concluded that the
short-term dietary intake of azoxystrobin is unlikely to present a public health concern.
Old April 24, 2012   #20
John3
Tomatovillian™

Ami thanks for the links.
I didn't have to read all the information because of the apples. I want be able to use products with Azoxystrobin in them.
Quote:
Azoxystrobin is very toxic to Macintosh apple trees and any apple varieties derived from
Macintosh. Injury to crabapples has also been reported.
a little history of the Macintosh apple
Quote:
Every McIntosh apple has a direct lineage to a single tree discovered in 1811 by John McIntosh on his farm in Dundela, a hamlet near Morrisburg, in Dundas County, Ontario, Canada. He discovered the tree as one of 20 apple seedlings while clearing the farm, which he had just purchased. He transplanted the seedlings, cultivated them, and only one of them was still alive by 1830. The surviving apple tree lived until 1906. The oldest surviving descendant died on July 25, 2011.
A McIntosh as bought, showing colouring

The Snow Apple, also known as the Fameuse, is believed to be a parent of the McIntosh. Offsprings of the Mac include, among many others, the firmer Macoun (a Jersey Black cross), the Spartan (recorded as a Newtown Pippin cross), the Cortland, the Empire, the Jonamac, the Jersey Mac and possibly the Paula Red.

William Tyrrell Macoun of the Central Experimental Farm in Ottawa is credited with popularizing this variety of apple in Canada.

The Apple Macintosh is named after this apple.
Old April 24, 2012   #21
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

If your growing in containers using a soiless aggregate, I really don't see why you would want or need to use an Azoxystrobin product as a soil additive or drench. If you are growing in soil that has fungal problems then the gain would offset the reduction of the microbial population. You can always add microbials later on in the growing season.

Being a systemic, Azoxystrobin could posiibly affect the symbiotic relationship of Mycorrhiza with the roots when being used as a foliar but I have not noticed any problems with my plants in the last 4 years using Azoxystrobin as a foliar. Ami
Old April 26, 2012   #22
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

Ok Ray, now I'm hungry!
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2012   #23
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

EPA fact sheet. http://www.epa.gov/opprd001/factsheets/azoxystr.pdf

Interestingly, they referring to it as a pesticide for turf grass. But, the "pests" are fungal in nature.

Note:

"Dietary exposure assessments were not performed because the
proposed registration does not contain food uses. Dietary
exposure from drinking water is conservatively estimated at 10%
of the RfD due to lack of data. Exposure to Azoxystrobin is
therefore not expected to exceed the level of concern from use on
commercial Turf and golf courses"
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012   #24
Ricefarmer05
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
Ok The company name is Syngenta.
Found their web site and gave them a call and they told me not to use Heritage as the other Other Ingredients added as the product is formulated for turfs. They said though lower in Azoxystrobin to use Quadris [Azoxystrobin: methyl (E)-2-{2-[6-(2-cyanophenoxy) pyrimidin-4-yloxy]phenyl}-3-methoxyacrylate* 22.9%] as the other ingredients are for vegetable crops.
They also said it lasts a long time depends on the way you store the product (that's for both products)
here are links to both products
http://www.syngentacropprotection.co...id=413&MID=466

http://www.syngentaprofessionalprodu...did=50&MID=550

So I don't know about either product - it will take someone with more understanding to be able to read the info sheets (which are in pdf at their site)
I was following this thread when it first came out but was hoping that Daconil would do the trick this year. With all the humidity, I'm starting to loose the blight battle with some of my tomatoes so I started looking into this more seriously.

I found this presentation that has alot of useful info on various fungicides:

http://monroe.uwex.edu/files/2011/02...-Vegetable.pdf

The above presentation confirms that azoxystrobin is the heavy-hitter when it comes to early blight control. It lists four different names that the active ingredient is marketed under (and it appears that all are manufactured by the same company that was mentioned in this thread). The only form that I could find was available was the Heritage formula. I found the 4 oz bottle on Amazon for around $120 (a steal right?). In addition to the heavy price tag, I am hesitant to pull the trigger on this because it seems the company did not recommend this for tomatoes. However, this seems to contradict the info on the Heritage Label which provides application rates specifically for tomatoes:

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/ms...tage_label.pdf

Before I do this, I thought I'd follow up with this thread to see if anyone has tried this yet?

Thanks,
Blake

Ricefarmer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012   #25
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Blake, I would go ahead and e-mail the company and ask the question concerning Heritage as to the conflicting information concerning it's use on tomatoes. Ami
Old May 8, 2012   #26
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

FYI - I'm emailing with a Rep now. Having read the links above, it appears that Quadris is the product that specifically includes a section on tomatoes and how to use the product on them and what disease it stops. What I haven't figured out yet is where to by the stuff or what is the smallest quantities you can buy. At this point, if I can find it and in quantities that make sense, I'm going to buy it to see if helps my disease issue that is out of control.

Dewayne mater
Old May 8, 2012   #27
Ricefarmer05
Tomatovillian™

Default Q

Ami / Dwayne - Thank you both for the follow-ups.

I just spent a couple more minutes looking at the labels for Heritage and Quadris on the Syngenta website and here's what I found.

Interestingly, the Syngenta website lists both a "Current EPA-Approved Label" and a "Previous EPA-Approved Label" for both Heritage and Quadris. It appears that both Heritage and Quadris were previously approved for use on tomatoes but, for some reason, only Quadris is currently approved by the EPA.

Personally, I don't much care for the EPA and I'm not really concerned with whether or not the EPA approves of its use on tomatoes. The fact that the company's website still provides the Previous EPA Approved List (which approves the use of Heritage for tomatoes) on their website tells me that the company also isn't too concerned with the risk of application on tomatoes. However, that's just my own opinion.

I'll be interested to hear what Dwayne finds out from Syngenta.

Thanks,
Blake
Ricefarmer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012   #28
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
What I haven't figured out yet is where to by the stuff or what is the smallest quantities you can buy. At this point, if I can find it and in quantities that make sense, I'm going to buy it to see if helps my disease issue that is out of control.
I too do not understand the quantity issue either. Over here it is sold in liquid form in 15ml bottles for around $12.00 which makes 4 gallons of solution. Like I said before if you guys-n-gals can get together in buying this stuff it would be definately be cheaper. Get 4 people to go in on purchasing a 4oz bottle of Heritage which is around $120.00 and split 4 ways comes out to $30.00 a head. Ami
Old May 9, 2012   #29
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Ami - is the product available in Europe called Heritage, Quadris or something else? I would kinda prefer to find the Quadris product since it is the only product that specifically lists that is for use on tomatoes and multiple other fruits and vegetables, but so far, the only quantity I can find is a gallas about about $340! That's a lot of fungicide and money!

The second contact I had at Syngenta says he only sells the lawn product, Heritage, and I need to talk with the Ag product rep for Texas about getting Quadris. Trying to get in touch with that person now.

Dewayne mater.
Old May 9, 2012   #30
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
Ami - is the product available in Europe called Heritage, Quadris or something else? I would kinda prefer to find the Quadris product since it is the only product that specifically lists that is for use on tomatoes and multiple other fruits and vegetables, but so far, the only quantity I can find is a gallas about about $340! That's a lot of fungicide and money!

The second contact I had at Syngenta says he only sells the lawn product, Heritage, and I need to talk with the Ag product rep for Texas about getting Quadris. Trying to get in touch with that person now.

Dewayne mater.
Dewayne after all the work you have been doing on searching the product maybe they will give you a sample to try when you get a hold of the Texas rep and it might put a bug in their ear about bottling in a smaller bottle for home gardeners even if it's only sold on Amazon.com