Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 11, 2007   #1
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Default OP Japanese heritage veg and fruit

For multiple reasons, I am looking for good sources for veg and fruit seeds with either a Japanese heritage or used commonly in Japan. I know a bit about Japanese food, my roommate post-uni being Cdn-Japanese like many of my uni friends (my uni being the choice of Japanese princes, well one anyway). And my current Aussie gardenmates have strong links and family there.

But I'm at a loss knowing where to get seeds that aren't hybrid for basic veg and melons, etc. Like in China, too many highly skilled people willing to work (and manually!) for just about peanuts have led to what are commonly known as 'Seed Cities'. Lovely for the corporations, sucks for the rest of the world.

Unfortunately, thanks to events of WW2 Canada was not kind historically to those of Japanese origin so heritage seeds for this culture here are few and far-between.

I have been able to locate a few things, mostly thanks to Jere Gettle's Baker Creek collecting. The Cali firms with oriental seeds won't send over the border. And I am seeing nothing of real interest coming from BC (which is VERY surprising).

I have a few Japanese yams/sweet potatoes, a couple greens, some squash and melons. Oh, and some interesting soybean varieties to satisfy the Edamame lover in me.

Please help, anyone. Point me in useful directions, provide names (botanical and common) for stuff I should seek, etc. etc.

Thanks hugely,
Jennifer
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote