Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 17, 2009   #61
duajones
Tomatovillian™

My germination rates seem to be down a little this year but so far everything is up with the exception of Summertime Improved and Goose Creek, the latter of which I did a second sowing and as of this morning it still hasnt germinated. I find myself wishing I had started an early variety, which I didnt even think about until now.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2009   #62
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
These were started last year on Dec 25 in the house.
They spent two weeks in the house from seed planting till I got home under lights.
When I got home I would put them out in the day and when it was too cold they would go under lights,
They went through some pretty cold weather, mid 30's and above.

They aren't the best tomatoes but what do you think, do they look leggy?

I don't want to push my wild ways on anybody but this is how I do it and it works for me.

They were about 12 to 18 inches tall at plant out in March.

Worth
Worth, they look great and I want to follow your wild ways . I missed the first week under lights though, but the tray was by the window (northwest corner of the house). I'm afraid they are leggy now.

Right now they are on the deck (day 7 from seed planting). It's 39F at the moment, but will reach 60F by noon.

They will go under lights tonight.

I hope I'm not messing this up too much.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Annapet

Germination Update:

Last edited by Moonglow; January 17, 2009 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Added Image
Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2009   #63
duajones
Tomatovillian™

went by home depot today and noticed they already have transplants available, decent looking plants too. I wish I could just pick them up when I am ready to plant and not have to deal with taking care of the seedlings for 6 weeks. but then I wouldnt be able to grow what I want
Old January 19, 2009   #64
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

OK I have one KBX trying to poke it's head out. It has a stuck seed coat as of this time but I am sure that it will be ok. Opalka's are now making a comeback as well. None of the ones I planted in my Jiffy container have come up yet. These are for friends. I might have to go get another Burpee tray and start them again.
Duajones I hear you. Last year I put out a few from the depot first in my garden as test subjects. Funny thing. I accidentally put them in at the right time and put the others out too late. So much to learn! I will be glad when it is warm enough to just leave them out at night. They need to learn it is a tough world and you have to be strong to survive!
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2009   #65
Penny
Tomatovillian™

I will be trying some new varities and i cant wait, i am seriously debating on whether to try the wintersown method on a few seeds and see what happens.
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2009   #66
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Goose Creek still hasnt germinated after 3 seperate sowings. Maybe I will replace it with a Chef Jeff plant if they get them soon enough
Old January 19, 2009   #67
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

Goose Creek might be a stubborn thang. I only tried growing it once, when Bully gave me a plant he got from Laurel. The darn thing never did grow more than 8" high all year until I plucked it out of it's misery. Just looked sick from the get-go and never did recover.
Old January 19, 2009   #68
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Goose Creek sounds like my cream sausage of last year. They didn't germinate when the others did. I actually had put them outside and almost forgot about them when I saw they were comming up. Then they got about 1 foot tall and produced this cherry looking white tomato because they were so little then they died. Now for some reason I am wanting to grow them again I think Texas heat was not what they needed.
Kat
Old January 20, 2009   #69
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

Hello, everyone. Having a great day, I hope. Is it possible I have gone Tomato-Mad?

I started some Paul Robeson seeds on my window sill.

In the office!

Old January 21, 2009   #70
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Yup You have it bad! I keep going back and forth on starting more seeds but I have tons for my garden and several friends already.
On a side note the lone KBX is still too little and has the stuck coat that is not comming off. I don't think it is going to make it. So I guess I have reason to start a few more since I need to start some KB
Kat
Old January 21, 2009   #71
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

Good morning, Kat! I'm home sick with a cold today, and surprise, surprise - - - today is when the tree-cutters are scheduled to cut down two pine-trees in front of my house to either:
  1. Make space for tomato plants.
  2. Make space for sunshine and lawn for my honey.
I believe he is the winner of this east-facing showcase .

It's so tempting to start more tomatoes...

Old January 21, 2009   #72
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Goose Creek finally gave me a seedling to work with last night. From my first sowing 15 days ago. Looking forward to this one
Old January 21, 2009   #73
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by duajones View Post
Goose Creek finally gave me a seedling to work with last night. From my first sowing 15 days ago. Looking forward to this one
Duane, GC was also a little slow/stubborn for me as well. About 10 days after my initial sowing, I go though and look at my flats for any vars that haven't come up yet. This has been a pretty good sowing year for me, as I only had 5-6 that made that list out of ~140 tomato vars sowed.

Anyway, at the 10 day mark, I had 1 seed/4 sowed germ on Goose Creek. I was only planning on planting one plant in the garden, but I generally like to have a backup. So I sowed four more seed after doing a presoak in warm water w/fish emulsion added - just in case.

Of course, on day 12, two more from the initial sowing came up. Frequently this ends up being the case, but I still like to go ahead and do that resowing w/presoak at the ten day mark - especially if it's a var I really want to grow. I guess I could wait two weeks, but I don't like to chance it as a solid and early start is so important here (as you know).
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2009   #74
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Suze, I have two more sowings of GC with the last one having a presoak as you mentioned and I only plan on one plant of this variety as well. If more sprout I will have backups. I dont usually do much in the way of backups but this year I will have a few. Worse case scenario would have me replanting the few backups I have and purchasing some early to mid varieties from the local nursery or Chef Jeff from HEB. I may even pick up some of them as soon as they are available and pot up as needed until things are good, then give what I wont use to fellow gardeners, neighbors etc.
Old January 21, 2009   #75
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Kat, what is the seed age for those that haven't germinated and those with low germination?