Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 17, 2017   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default The Ultimate Cherry?

To me, the ultimate flavor is from Sungold, but, with our intermittent downpours, the splitting stops me cold. Sunsugar is a bit better in cracking, but has pretty small fruit. Maybe Sunchocola will solve this for me and still provide that sweet, tangy taste that I love. Maybe Esterina, although from my plants thus far, I get sweet, but pretty much no tang -- kind of "shallow." (Season is still pretty early, though, so that may change.) Esterina is maybe an 8.5 with me -- certainly a very good cherry and ranks very high.

So what say you, Tomatoville -- what is your favorite cherry (ies), and what do you like about it that sets it above others?

-GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; July 17, 2017 at 11:31 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I grow a circa 2011 variety sold by Franchi seeds (it's not the same as the red cherry they have now). I grow it every year because it has a big, bold tomato flavor in a small package. Sweet cherries have zero appeal to me.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #3
kurt
Tomatovillian™

From our breeders here next to Lake Ochochobee(spelling varies),bhn624,tough,robust,the explosive pop when eating off the vine.Going back to originals,black cherrys from the famous breeder here in fla.Bratka?(spelling on these pads drive me crazy).Tried those fancy designer oranges here in10b,they just won't hold up.
Old July 17, 2017   #4
imp
Tomatovillian™

Ron's Carbon Copy, hands down. Produced well with a lot of neglect, taste is just sublime and no disease down here in hot dry Texas for me. It's a must have every year now.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #5
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Ron's Carbon Copy, hands down. Produced well with a lot of neglect, taste is just sublime and no disease down here in hot dry Texas for me. It's a must have every year now.
I've missed reading about that one -- sounds very interesting. (But don't they all!)

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Japanese Pink Cherry is my favorite sweet tomato.

Porter is my favorite old-time balanced tasting cherry tomato.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

If you like sweet flavor, anything with "Ambrosia" in the name is a winner.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #8
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I like "sweet", but it must be intense too, and most of the red cherries don't do it for me. Of course I love Sungold at first, but as the season wears on I find that the flavor changes and I don't like it as much. It seems to get more acidic and puts my teeth on edge, but maybe that's just me.

I thought I had found the best-tasting cherry in Carbon Copy, but last year I grew Rosella, a purple cherry which is fruity and sweet. I liked it better than CC at first, but CC came into its own later in the season.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #9
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

I am growing out an orange cherry in the dwarf project, it is f3 now, and to me, tastes nearly identical to the f2 from last year, and to sungold f1. If allowed to at least blush before picking, it ripens from yellow to deep golden orange. I had to prune off a branch that had many fruit on it and I left the fruit on the branch and brought it inside and 90% of the totally green tomatoes ripened, they just didn't have the sweetness of the ones that blushed on the vine, but they still had the fresh flavor.
Old July 17, 2017   #10
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Very cool Carrie!

Will be watching for that one. Are we allowed to know the name?

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #11
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

orange zinger has been a good one for me for the past 2 years. firm round and a little zip. nor does it tend to split like sungold (which I have quit growing because of. they attract the SWD and I don't want to keep them picked off at the just blush stage. too many other ones to grow in its place.)
Old July 17, 2017   #12
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

obviously I am not as promiscuous as ya'll, but of the 12+ I have encountered, I do like the sungold the best. it is highly prolific and tasty - my one SG is in full GO mode right now.

I have a rogue/volunteer "cherry" that I let grow this year, and the thing has gone wild with the july rain, but the fruit is the size of a perfectly round Ping-Pong ball - very red in color. seems like a grew a 4th of july in that bed one year, but this plant has the fruiting pattern of a cherry and I can't remember if 04Jul has that trademark.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #13
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
To me, the ultimate flavor is from Sungold, but, with our intermittent downpours, the splitting stops me cold. Sunsugar is a bit better in cracking, but has pretty small fruit. Maybe Sunchocola will solve this for me and still provide that sweet, tangy taste that I love. Maybe Esterina, although from my plants thus far, I get sweet, but pretty much no tang -- kind of "shallow." (Season is still pretty early, though, so that may change.) Esterina is maybe an 8.5 with me -- certainly a very good cherry and ranks very high.

So what say you, Tomatoville -- what is your favorite cherry (ies), and what do you like about it that sets it above others?

-GG
I've only eaten one ripe Esterina F1 so far, but I have to agree with your sweet, no tang, kind of "shallow" opinion. Maybe it will improve as the season goes on, but I doubt it. Esterina was more like Sunsugar F1, in my opinion. I keep falling for some of the "good as Sungold" hype, but nothing yet comes even close to that unique fruity acid zing. The splitting is a nuisance, but the splitters are eaten first, save the whole ones for later. I don't like thick skinned crunchy cherries, so I'll live with it. For a red, I really like Iva's Red Berry.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My dad bought plants at Menards (instead of letting me give him plants) and the tags on them were wrong. I looked at the plants yesterday, and they are all obviously Sungold. He said they are sweet, but he doesn't like the thick skins.

I had Ambrosia Orange for the first time this year, and I think it easily beats Sungold on flavor. The whiteflies agree that it is tasty, too. They like it a lot more than my other varieties.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #15
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

[here is an internet opine I came across] for thread fodder

[I do not know what bx % is....]

Top 10 Cherry Tomato Varieties

1. ‘Golden Sweet‘: Touted as the sweetest and best-tasting yellow grape tomato, the indeterminate vines produce lots of glossy gold fruits that are crack-resistant, firm and meaty.
2. ‘Isis Candy‘: This is a very pretty cherry tomato with golden fruits streaked with red. They are equally delicious and sweet with a 8-9 °Bx. The vines are high-performing and indeterminate.
3. ‘Matt’s Wild Cherry‘: This is one of the sweetest of the currant tomatoes with an 11.5 °Bx. The large vines produce lots of bright red, pungent fruits so one is all you need.
4. ‘Fantastico’: Slightly elongated grape tomatoes still fall into the cherry tomato category, and the bright red, AAS-winning ‘Fantastico’ is one of the best. The glossy sweet tomatoes have a 12 °Bx and are firm, crack-resistant, and sweet. The bushy, determinate vines are also high-yielding and resistant to late blight.
5. ‘Sun Gold‘: This is the classic for cherry tomato lovers because it offers both remarkable sweet, tangy, delicious tomato flavor. The golden-orange fruits have an 8 °Bx, are borne on long trusses, and taste best when growing conditions are slightly dry. Vines are indeterminate.
6. ‘Sunpeach‘: This pink-fruited relative of ‘Sun Gold’ has super long trusses of slightly oblong fruits with excellent sweet, well-rounded flavor. The fruits are crack-resistant, and the high-performing vines are indeterminate.
7. ‘Favorita‘: The glossy, deep red, fruits have a 8.8 °Bx sugar rating and produce early. The indeterminate vines resist Fusarium wilt, Tobacco Mosaic Virus, and nematodes.
8. ‘Sun Sugar‘: The tangerine-orange fruits of ‘Sun Sugar’ are some of the sweetest, tartest, and best tasting around. The disease-resistant, indeterminate vines will stand up to fusarium wilt and tobacco mosaic virus, and they produce long trusses of crack-resistant fruits.
9. ‘Candyland Red‘: Large, rambling vines produce lots of super sweet, firm, currant fruits that are tiny and deep red. Of all the currant tomatoes available, it’s the sweetest with 12 °Bx. It is also a 2016 All-America Selections winner!
10. ‘Supersweet 100‘: The super-sized, disease-resistant, indeterminate vines can reach over 12’ and produce loads and loads of bright red and very tasty. The fruits are the least sweet of the bunch, with a 6 °Bx, but they are still very good and super prolific.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote