Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 24, 2016   #766
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I forgot to write down when I planted my tomato seeds and had to go to my Facebook page to find a post I had done about peppers and tomatoes to retrieve it.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2016   #767
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Tomato seedlings under grow lights:

Have 3 new, to me, varieties of Bell Peppers under grow lights. Alliance, Early Summer and Touchdown. They are the most disease resistant varieties that I could find being sold in small quantity of seeds.
For example Early Summer and Touchdown are resistant to Bacterial Leaf Spot races 1-5, 7-9.
I’m a little puzzled in how they are currently doing. Possibly I could get some opinions from you folks.
I planted the Alliance in seed starter they germinated ok, but all didn’t make it and they are doing well under the grow lights. I planted Early Summer in a poor, free compost. Lots of leaves and sticks. It germinated well and did splendid under the lights, easily outgrowing the other two varieties. I planted the Touchdown in a potting soil, which contains some slow release fertilizer. They were the first to germinate and they germinated very well. However, they almost refuse to grow under the lights. The plants each have two small true leaves and the seed leaves have turned yellow and now are dropping off. I not at all sure the Touchdown seedlings will make it. What do you think? Variety or seedling soil?
Larry
To answer my own question, my Touchdown Pepper seedlings are coming through after all. They have been quite slow but are now just starting their 5th and 6th true leaves. The Early Summer are well into their 7th and 8th true leaves and the Alliance seedlings are also doing well. When the sun shines I put them outdoors. I don't believe that the seedling soil mix had anything to do with Touchdown seedlings being so slow. My guess is it is the variety, but all is well that ends well.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2016   #768
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Hi fellow Floridians; haven't looked at a map, but it rained since early hours this AM.

I've been so lazy re: the garden since I got back from HI. This cooler weather has done wonders for the broccoli, strawberry plants, and bok choi.

Larry - I finally have a large Premium Blend broccoli head ready to pick. So when I pick the head, should I yank out the plant b/c there won't be side shoots? Do you think it is too late for planting new broccoli seeds?

Also earier this season you asked about, the Big Brandy Hybrid; Actually it was not generous with the tomatoes but without doubt they were the best tasting of any tomato I grew this fall. I saw that it's parents were Brandywine and New Big Dwarf; I have given up on Brandywine (except BCD) but tried NBD again this fall and 0 tomatoes. (My dwarfs did terrible this fall except for Sleeping Lady and Arctic Rose).
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2016   #769
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Hi fellow Floridians; haven't looked at a map, but it rained since early hours this AM.
I've been so lazy re: the garden since I got back from HI. This cooler weather has done wonders for the broccoli, strawberry plants, and bok choi.
Larry - I finally have a large Premium Blend broccoli head ready to pick. So when I pick the head, should I yank out the plant b/c there won't be side shoots? Do you think it is too late for planting new broccoli seeds?
Also earier this season you asked about, the Big Brandy Hybrid; Actually it was not generous with the tomatoes but without doubt they were the best tasting of any tomato I grew this fall. I saw that it's parents were Brandywine and New Big Dwarf; I have given up on Brandywine (except BCD) but tried NBD again this fall and 0 tomatoes. (My dwarfs did terrible this fall except for Sleeping Lady and Arctic Rose).
Barb
Typically I have pulled Premium Crop Broccoli (PCB) plants shortly after harvesting the heads. However, I didn’t do that with all plants with my most recent crop. What I learned was that although PCB doesn’t have traditional side shoots such as Packman, it often sends another stalk from lower on the plant that results in a second head of broccoli. The second is smaller than the first but still fairly large. You might give this a try and see if it works for you. Of course you have to keep watering the plant and a bit of fertilizer may also be called for.

I’m going to find out if it is too late to start new broccoli plants. I’ve never tried this late before but today, Jan 27th, I seeded 126 3 ½ seed cups (7 trays) with broccoli seeds. 42 cups with Premium Crop, 42 cups with Castle Dome and 42 cups with Lieutenant. Castle Dome is shorter days to maturity at 50, but it appears Lieutenant at 55 dtm has performed better in trials. Maybe it won’t get too hot in late May early-mid June. Cross my fingers.

I have tomato and pepper plants large enough to transplant but I’m not going to take the chance just yet. Cheers
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2016   #770
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

It sure is good to have Tomatoville back. I was panicking when I thought about not seeing posts in this group.

Mike Mansker has posted his free Pepper Tracker software. I love the program because growing 24 varieties was driving me crazy trying to keep everything sorted out. I have them all entered now and it is a great help.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39525
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2016   #771
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

What is the sweetest tomato you have grown in Florida or any hot humid climate. To date I think Sweet 100 is the sweetest. I grew the golden cherry that is supposed to be sweeter and it might be, but it didn't have much real tomato taste. Anyway, I'm looking for a regular sized very sweet tomato that tastes like a tomato, not fruit. I don't care if it is heirloom or hybrid. Any suggestions?
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2016   #772
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlynnMarcks View Post
What is the sweetest tomato you have grown in Florida or any hot humid climate. To date I think Sweet 100 is the sweetest. I grew the golden cherry that is supposed to be sweeter and it might be, but it didn't have much real tomato taste. Anyway, I'm looking for a regular sized very sweet tomato that tastes like a tomato, not fruit. I don't care if it is heirloom or hybrid. Any suggestions?
Girl Girl's Weird Thing, Pink Berkeley Tie Dye, Iraqi Heart, Grightmyer's Pride, Rebel Yell, Carbon, Dana's Dusky Rose, oh so many more.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #773
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

Tville is back!!!

I thought I would post on my total fall crop. I had about 190 pounds of tomatoes this season from 10 earthboxes! about 19 lbs per earthboxes

New Issues Never Seen: Bird Damage (it got pretty bad)

Root Knot Nematode Damage in 4 earthboxes??? I thought this was impossible but when I pulled out my fall crop they definitely did some damage in 4 of my older boxes.... I think I may of had some of the boxes on the ground last year but now they are all on pavers. I didnt feel like emptying the three boxes and just planted my spring crop in them

Spring Crop: My wife accidentally mislabeled everything when we switched from 2 inch to 4 inch cups. So who knows what well get. I hoping not 12 black cherrys lol, but people love those the most

Last edited by Imthechuck; February 9, 2016 at 06:24 AM.
Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #774
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlynnMarcks View Post

You can grow almost any variety here!!!!!

timing is everything though, and a weekly fungicide/insecticide application is a must at least till the plants get really big and start producing then I back off since they reach their peak and begin to succumb to disease
Old February 9, 2016   #775
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imthechuck View Post
Tville is back!!!

I thought I would post on my total fall crop. I had about 190 pounds of tomatoes this season from 10 earthboxes! about 19 lbs per earthboxes

New Issues Never Seen: Bird Damage (it got pretty bad)

Root Knot Nematode Damage in 4 earthboxes??? I thought this was impossible but when I pulled out my fall crop they definitely did some damage in 4 of my older boxes.... I think I may of had 2 or 3 boxes on the ground this year but now they are all on pavers. I didnt feel like emptying the three boxes and just planted my spring crop in them
I got root knot nematodes in one of mine too. I racked my brain for how, then I figured it out. When the yard man came by with his weed whacker, he often angled it so some of the yard dirt got kicked over the top. Then I would hose off the top to clean it of the dirt. Just enough dirt dropped down the opening I cut where the tomato plants got put, that was all it needed to "inoculate" the earthbox with nematodes. I have to have a talk with my yard man. Grrrr.

You can keep that soil, but it will involve covering and seal the EB with clear plastic after you drain and remove the showercap cover. Then it should sit in our 90+ degree summer heat for at least a week, I would do a month. It will solarize and cook the potting mix, sterilizing it.
Old February 9, 2016   #776
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

What are those little sweet peppers called that are getting so trendy right now? I keep seeing them in grocery stores? They come in all colors??

I think I may want to start growing them
Old February 9, 2016   #777
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I got root knot nematodes in one of mine too. I racked my brain for how, then I figured it out. When the yard man came by with his weed whacker, he often angled it so some of the yard dirt got kicked over the top. Then I would hose off the top to clean it of the dirt. Just enough dirt dropped down the opening I cut where the tomato plants got put, that was all it needed to "inoculate" the earthbox with nematodes. I have to have a talk with my yard man. Grrrr.
hrmmm I have a yard guy too, that makes sense kinda... its just a little bit of dirt though... there are that many nematodes in our cruddy coil that just a little dirtish sand can carry them?
Old February 9, 2016   #778
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
hrmmm I have a yard guy too, that makes sense kinda... its just a little bit of dirt though... there are that many nematodes in our cruddy coil that just a little dirtish sand can carry them?
Yep. They are here microscopically totally infested. By the billions per yard.
Old February 9, 2016   #779
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Yep. They are here microscopically totally infested. By the billions per yard.
do you think I should dump the boxes when I begin to take the plants out in May? or solarizing will kill them?
Old February 9, 2016   #780
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
do you think I should dump the boxes when I begin to take the plants out in May? or solarizing will kill them?
Up to you, but solarizing will do the job once it gets hot enough, if you leave the clear plastic covering on for long enough. Barb did an experiment, black vs clear plastic, turns out the temp got about 25 degrees hotter with the clear plastic than the black. Maybe she will post about it again.