Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 5, 2010   #16
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Looks good to me. Good luck on stabilizing it. You might consider letting some folks grow them to help you out too.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2010   #17
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

I'd grow some out for you.
shlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2010   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLorentz View Post
Looks good to me. Good luck on stabilizing it. You might consider letting some folks grow them to help you out too.

Kevin
If I know Damon he wants to stabilize it himself, as he also said in post #12.

And if I got a good natural cross I'd do the same.

It becomes very difficult when growing out F2's in terms of making selections, doing same with F3's and making selections, etc., b'c one never knows what else might pop up due to reassortment of genes that might be even better than what's shown for the F1.

So really, I think it's best for one person to do the growouts at the various generations from various possible selections, b'c if I see a great one in the F3 and think it's worthy, Damon doesn't, and has to rely on what I think and not what he might think.

But it's Damon's decision as to what he wants to do and since in post #12 he said that he wanted to stabilize it, well, that's what he wants to do, of course looking along the way for anything interesting that might pop up. And of course here I'm thinking of where Green Doctors came from and the possible increased probability of "lurking" genes I'll call them.
Old July 5, 2010   #19
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

I'm usually one to share seeds such as these, but I think Carolyn knows me pretty well, maybe too well. I'm going to pursue this one on my own for now. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2011   #20
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Here is a picture of one of my f2 Green Doctors Mystery Cross. I plan on growing at least three this year. Does this one seem to have finely dissected foilage to anyone? Or is it me?

Damon
Old February 27, 2011   #21
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

That is a really beautiful plant!
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2011   #22
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Kat!

Damon
Old February 27, 2011   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

No, I wouldn't call it finely dissected foliage b/c for that the leaves would be much narrower and the normal indentations along the leaf margin more numerous and deep.

And there's the expected difference in leaf forms at the top of the plant as opposed to the bottom.

The more mature leaves at the top have that mitten look one can see with some PL varieties so I wonder if GD crossed with anything PL in your garden. Were you growing any PL's the summer of the cross?

Summer of the Cross......sounds like a good book title to me.
Old February 27, 2011   #24
Chucker
Tomatovillian™

Is the color really as dark green as the pics show? That is a nice looking plant!
Chucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2011   #25
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

You have been reading too many books this winter Carolyn, but then again I dont blame you with your winters. I thought you were going to say......Summer of the Cross.......sounds like a good name for the stabilized fruit that comes out of this.

I mixed my f2 seeds up really good and rolled the dice before planting, I have 10 seedlings and they are all RL, NO PL so I'm going to assume it wasn't crossed with a PL. Like I said before it was next too Gianinni, but who knows. Maybe the wind blew over a kiss of Kosovo pollen and I have a GD x K!! Lol. I doubt it, but we will see, only time will tell.

Damon
Old February 27, 2011   #26
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Chucker- yes its really that dark green!! I'm not sure exactly why its that dark??

Damon
Old February 27, 2011   #27
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsguy76 View Post
You have been reading too many books this winter Carolyn, but then again I dont blame you with your winters. I thought you were going to say......Summer of the Cross.......sounds like a good name for the stabilized fruit that comes out of this.

I mixed my f2 seeds up really good and rolled the dice before planting, I have 10 seedlings and they are all RL, NO PL so I'm going to assume it wasn't crossed with a PL. Like I said before it was next too Gianinni, but who knows. Maybe the wind blew over a kiss of Kosovo pollen and I have a GD x K!! Lol. I doubt it, but we will see, only time will tell.

Damon
Damon, I think you missed my point, ahem, I wasn't saying that what you show is PL, I was sayin that the mature leaves looked like, well, I'll say, an intermediate between a PL and RL.

And then I asked what other varieties you were growing in the "Summer of the Cross" that were known PL varieties as a possibility for the male pollen parent.

OK?

And for sure I read a lot of books, along with my tennis watching, when I'm not packing up tomato seeds or on the computer, and the already read ones are in a special area in piles. Then I have to decide where I want them to go next as to my local Libe for sale to benefit the Friends of the Library or to an different local libe.

Ah, the decisions I have to make.

You said you had 10 plants above and you're telling me that all 10 F2 seeds gave you identical plants in all ways to what you show? El weirdo if true, as in what happened to gene segregation.

So I guess it's best to wait until you see wee fruits forming and then larger fruits, and then ripe fruits, before any tentative conclusions can be made.
Old February 27, 2011   #28
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Yes there were very few PL in my garden that year, Olena Ukrainian and Earl Faux are the only one's that come to mind.

I looked fairly close at most of the f2 and yes they all look very similar to the one above as far as foilage goes.

Most have been kept inside but a few have been outside dealing with cooler temps and have a lighter green color to them. But again all with the same looking foilage. I guess your right, only time will tell......

Damon
Old May 13, 2011   #29
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Update here. I'm growing 4 f2's out in my limited space. I'm seeing alot of different looks! All are RL. Here are some photo's. One plant has not yet set fruit.

Shape wise this looks the closest to the f1

Damon
Old June 17, 2011   #30
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Update- The plant closest to the f1 is starting to blush and there are no surprises in color or shape, same small red plum shape. The other pictures updates are in the same order as the pictures from the previous post none of which have ripened yet. I'm hoping to find some sort of green or amber colored fruit out of the four f2 I'm growing out. So the wait continues.

The last and most far behind f2 has yet to set fruit.

Damon