Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 21, 2018   #31
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

THanks Worth for your 2 cents.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018   #32
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
No they are dependable producers and taste good too.

Worth
Gotch ya!
Old January 21, 2018   #33
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Hi Black Krim,
I grew Garden Gem last year and it was a short node indeterminate that was very productive and tasted great. If you would like to give this new variety a try for your community gardens, PM me.
Dutch
Thanks Dutch . will send PM.
Old January 21, 2018   #34
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Two summers ago I grew 25 plants of FOurth of July. They produced all summer and into the fall. The leaves fell off, mostly, and the remaining fruit ripened.

Looking back I do wonder if this was late blight. (Im still learning.)
Old January 21, 2018   #35
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I grew Fourth Of July for many years. It was the best early golf ball sized tomato plant I could find until I started growing Moravsky Div. My FOJ usually lost most of their leaves to Septoria in mid to late summer and grew more, blossemed, and set fruit in the early fall. It just seemed to be the nature of the plant.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2018   #36
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I feel that it is a matter of nothing ventured, nothing gained. I know from experience that the fresh vegetables that I put on the table at the homeless bag lunch at church are snapped up. There is an appreciation there for fresh food. As far as getting folks from the program to help in the growing effort on the roof, not so much. I haven't really been pushing it though, my fault. You will probably find some folks who will really appreciate the opportunity to grow their own veggies and hope their success inspires their neighbors. Good luck.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2018   #37
garyjr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
Wonderful!!

My children and I have worked on far smaller community gardens, and my two complaints were the food is limited to a few recipients, even when I suddenly lost my job I could not get any of that food that we spent hours every week picking right thru my weeks of unemployment. Second, handing out food does not solve the problem of "teach a man to fish". Lack of food is a complicated issue. In my experience, food supplies are very controlled with lots of rules when big government is involved. Lots of hurdles to jump over....

I live in a community of no high rises. The church steeple is the tallest structure. Hundreds of duplexes lines the streets around the old mills. Meaning each home has a small front lawn.
I agree completely. Having the people receiving the benefit take part in the planting, production, watering, weeding, etc is very important. I think we can all agree that it is very satisfying seeing the fruits of our labor. The community garden route sounds like that might be best. Amazing how much can be grown in just a small area. Good luck!
Old January 22, 2018   #38
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
Two summers ago I grew 25 plants of FOurth of July. They produced all summer and into the fall. The leaves fell off, mostly, and the remaining fruit ripened.

Looking back I do wonder if this was late blight. (Im still learning.)
One thing I've learned here is to give the plants fertilizer once they start to ripen fruit. My foliage health was going downhill as soon as they hit that point of ripening. Feeding them weekly or biweekly stopped that from happening to a large extent.
It actually seems as though individual varieties will just start to get whichever of the local diseases they're susceptible to, as soon as they started to pull nitrogen out of the old lower leaves to fulfill their fruiting needs.

OTOH there are diseases that can do the plants in, but fertilizer has at least removed one cause of decline for me.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018   #39
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
I feel that it is a matter of nothing ventured, nothing gained. I know from experience that the fresh vegetables that I put on the table at the homeless bag lunch at church are snapped up. There is an appreciation there for fresh food. As far as getting folks from the program to help in the growing effort on the roof, not so much. I haven't really been pushing it though, my fault. You will probably find some folks who will really appreciate the opportunity to grow their own veggies and hope their success inspires their neighbors. Good luck.
Nancy, you have captured the essence of the situation. I reduced my expectation from hundreds of families jumping into gardening to one family at a time...lol Start slow....Im thinking giving out a free tomato plant to anyone that can show me a pot filled with soil, or something along those lines.....or perhaps I need to kiss the plants good bye and hope most find a bit of earth to grow in.......
Old January 23, 2018   #40
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
I grew Fourth Of July for many years. It was the best early golf ball sized tomato plant I could find until I started growing Moravsky Div. My FOJ usually lost most of their leaves to Septoria in mid to late summer and grew more, blossemed, and set fruit in the early fall. It just seemed to be the nature of the plant.
THank you--I will look up pictures to see if I can match the problem to septoria.
Old January 23, 2018   #41
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjr View Post
I agree completely. Having the people receiving the benefit take part in the planting, production, watering, weeding, etc is very important. I think we can all agree that it is very satisfying seeing the fruits of our labor. The community garden route sounds like that might be best. Amazing how much can be grown in just a small area. Good luck!
One hurdle to jump is.... apathy. I hear it over and over via school officials. Perhaps that is why one teacher has her class grow a tomato seedling in the classroom window to take home... change thru the children. DO parents feel as obligated as I did to plant that 4 inch yellow pear?? Maybe I can find that teacher and expand that program...

I fI can help people understand that one tomato plant gives a lot in return for a little!

THanks for your support.
Old January 23, 2018   #42
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
One thing I've learned here is to give the plants fertilizer once they start to ripen fruit. My foliage health was going downhill as soon as they hit that point of ripening. Feeding them weekly or biweekly stopped that from happening to a large extent.
It actually seems as though individual varieties will just start to get whichever of the local diseases they're susceptible to, as soon as they started to pull nitrogen out of the old lower leaves to fulfill their fruiting needs.

OTOH there are diseases that can do the plants in, but fertilizer has at least removed one cause of decline for me.

My son grew different varieties in that same locations and did not have the same problems. He did fertilize every week--sandy soil. And those plants pumped out fruit until mid OCtober when he pulled the plants during fall clean up.
Old January 23, 2018   #43
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

If I were to choose one variety it would be Early Girl. It is the most reliable producer that I have ever grown.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2018   #44
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
If I were to choose one variety it would be Early Girl. It is the most reliable producer that I have ever grown.
Thank you!!! I do get requests for this one----reliability is a must.