Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old February 21, 2014   #31
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
that's not a Burpee hybrid or exclusive. there are other companies that distributed that Japanese hybrid before Burpee. I've grown it. In fact, I've grown F2 seeds from Sunchocola and gotten both black and red cherries of excellent flavor and production.

Thanks for straightening me out on that. Burpee's presentation makes it look like it was theirs. If your F2's were blacks and reds I guess Sungold wasn't involved.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #32
travis
Tomatovillian™

Salsa, I've grown out Sun Gold F2s and gotten both orange and reds from them as well. The reds from the Sunchocola F2s were excellent cherry tomatoes, btw, and much better than the Sun Gold F2s that I've had.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2014   #33
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Default Updates on the SG/CP

I was just looking for a post about crosses with Sungold and very pleased to see this thread.

So what's happening with your cross Vince?? I love Sungold and have only ever had seeds fro Sungold F1 (I am not sure if this means it is the first generation of the true hybrid or if it is the original true hybrid).

I was lucky to germinate 90% of the 2004 seeds I received in a trade! Plus I did buy a new seed package last month and started some of them just in case the old seed didn't grow well.

My next favorite cherry is Chocolate cherry then Black cherry, which has too thick a skin for my taste.....so to see someone crossing black cherry with sungold has me very interested. I'm hoping you are having success Vince.

Zeroma
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote