Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 16, 2009   #1
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Default Small grape with a "nipple" on the end?

My mother has been raving about the "Stupice" plant that I gave her all summer. She said she was getting hundreds of small fruits that had an excellent flavor. I thought she was exaggerating with the numbers, but oh well.

Anyway...went out there today for the first time in a couple of months and am looking through her tomato varieties on the table. She had one that was grape like..but each had a pointy nipple on the end. I asked here what these were..she said those were Stupice!

They are definitely not Stupice, but I have no idea what they are. PL plant and the blooms are in huge clusters...dozens of blooms of white flowers. The pics are a bit blurry, but I think they may help someone to figure out what these are. I have no clue...maybe Riesentraube, but they are not round fruits...they are closer to grape shape.
Any help is appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(3).jpg (158.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg photo(2).jpg (239.2 KB, 63 views)
Old August 17, 2009   #2
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Cherry Tomato

The tomato you describe sound like Riesentraube; it has a pointy nipple.
Gary

Riesentraube

70 days. (Indeterminate) [German heirloom introduced 1993 by SESE. from seed sent to us by tomato collector Dr. Carolyn Male. Originally from East Germany, it also may have been grown by the Pennsylvania Dutch as early as 1855.] 'Riesentraube' translates from the German as "giant bunch of grapes". One of Riesentraube's outstanding features is the large number of flowers produced per cluster: up to 350 flowers! Flower clusters appear as compact floral sprays giving rise to large tomato we have grown. The cherry-sized tomatoes eigh approximately 3/4 oz. And measure 1-1/2 x 1-1/4". Distinctive red fruits have a rounded pear shape with sharp pointed end. Vine growth is compact, highly branched, with good foliage cover for developing fruits. The red fruits have excellent full-flavor similar to that found in flavorful beefsteak tomatoes. An excellent salad tomato, great for snacks.
Old August 17, 2009   #3
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

My guess would be an accidental cross with a grape or roma.

Many of my small tomatoes seem to have a pointy end when they are small. Some, but not all, will out-grow it as they size up.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2009   #4
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

I've never planted Reisentraube though. Must have been a stray seed mixed in with my Stupice seeds.
Old August 17, 2009   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntoften View Post
I've never planted Reisentraube though. Must have been a stray seed mixed in with my Stupice seeds.
So it was only one plant that gave fruits like that and the rest were true Stupice?

And were the plants from traded or puchased seeds?

if it were Riesentraube, and I don't think it is, you'd see huge blossom clusters with several hundred blossoms on ONE stalk and then about 30-50 of those would set fruits.

The shape isn't right for Riesentraube either.

So stray seed from a commercial pack, crosse seed, traded seed, etc.?
Old August 17, 2009   #6
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

I'll have to check my records, but the Stupice seeds were either purchased from TGS or Tomatofest. I also thought they were the wrong shape for Reisentraube...they are more rounded and these are elongated not quite grape shaped though. As for clusters of blooms...that's their behavior...the one pic doesn't do it justice, but there are close to 100 blooms I'd say in that one cluster.

The flavor is excellent though, so no complaints there!
Old August 17, 2009   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntoften View Post
I'll have to check my records, but the Stupice seeds were either purchased from TGS or Tomatofest. I also thought they were the wrong shape for Reisentraube...they are more rounded and these are elongated not quite grape shaped though. As for clusters of blooms...that's their behavior...the one pic doesn't do it justice, but there are close to 100 blooms I'd say in that one cluster.

The flavor is excellent though, so no complaints there!
Varieties with those huge blossom clusters are called multifloras and there are two others that I can think of off hand that you might want to Google. They are Ildi and there's a Rose Quartz one as well I tihink called Rose Quartz Multiflora.

Maybe the situation will clarify it'self when you see what color the fruits are.
Old August 17, 2009   #8
Tania
Tomatovillian™

huntoften,

Is this mystery tomato potato leaf? If so, this may be a new very cool accidental cross - I am not aware of any multiflora types with potato leaf foliage (although they may exist, but I just did not come across them )

Another multiflora type with similar fruit shape is Geranium Kiss (http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Geranium_Kiss.

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; August 18, 2009 at 09:56 AM.
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2009   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Could be Tania, but I know TGS doesn't list it and I didn't check to see if Tomatofest does so how would that variety get in a pack of commercial Stupice seeds from either place?

Your link went to a blank page so here's another one that goes to your description of Geranium Kiss and some pictures:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Geranium_Kiss

And if Alan only listed it last year, well I forgot which year but I know recent, LOL, I doubt that many have even grown it.

I Googled it and the only place is comes up is at your website.
Old August 18, 2009   #10
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Could be Tania, but I know TGS doesn't list it and I didn't check to see if Tomatofest does so how would that variety get in a pack of commercial Stupice seeds from either place?

Your link went to a blank page so here's another one that goes to your description of Geranium Kiss and some pictures:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Geranium_Kiss

And if Alan only listed it last year, well I forgot which year but I know recent, LOL, I doubt that many have even grown it.

I Googled it and the only place is comes up is at your website.
Carolyn,

thank you for correcting the link, looks like I once again posted in a hurry . No, I did not mean to say that it was Geranium Kiss, just showed it as an example of a multiflora type. Geranium Kiss is a RL. It was first listed at SSE Yearbook in 2008, so it is a very recent introduction.

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2009   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I wanted to share some information with Gary at Tomtofest and took the opportunity to also describe the variety you have, told him it came in a pack of Stupice seeds and asked him what he thought it might be.

When I hear back from him I'll post here.
Old August 22, 2009   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I wanted to share some information with Gary at Tomtofest and took the opportunity to also describe the variety you have, told him it came in a pack of Stupice seeds and asked him what he thought it might be.

When I hear back from him I'll post here.
I did hear back from Gary, but most of the e-mail was about the other subject I wanted to discuss with him.

He did say that if you wanted another pack of Stupice seeds that would be fine, but when I respond to him I want to link to this thread so he can see the pictures to see if it resembles any cherry tomato he offers.

And yes, it could still be the result of a cross, but being PL, if it is, that makes it less probable unless Stupice crossed with another PL that was small fruited, which is possible, but less probable.

Can you confirm for me that the foliage of the nipple one is PL as are the true Stupice plants from seeds in the same pack from Tomatofest?

And how many plants did you put out and how many were true Stupice and was it just the one plant with the cherry sized fruits?

Thanks.
Old August 17, 2009   #13
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Here's a close up of them when they are ripe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(5).jpg (108.9 KB, 60 views)
Old August 17, 2009   #14
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Just checked and the seeds came from Tomatofest
Old August 18, 2009   #15
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Looks something like my Nipples but it's not PL:

Maybe a Riesentraube x Stupice cross somewhere in its history. Nipples is a Riesentraube x cheesmanii cross.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote