Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 21, 2019   #541
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

And heat containers in early spring to get a jump on things.
One year I had heating cable under my row of cement blocks and was able to plant the 1st week of april.
That is about 2 months early for this area.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2019   #542
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salt my dear friend DO NOT mistake pride in family and trade with pompousness.
Pompousness is a feeling of self importance and and being irritatingly grand.
NOT ONE TIME have you exhibited these traits on this forum.
There is no guilt in pride of trade, race, creed, culture ,or background no matter who or where you came from.
Pride may cometh before the fall but without pride we have no self dignity or shame.

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2019   #543
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Salt my dear friend DO NOT mistake pride in family and trade with pompousness.
Pompousness is a feeling of self importance and and being irritatingly grand.
NOT ONE TIME have you exhibited these traits on this forum.
There is no guilt in pride of trade, race, creed, culture ,or background no matter who or where you came from.
Pride may cometh before the fall but without pride we have no self dignity or shame.

I have to respond to this first. When I wrote about feeling that my post was pompous - I had taken 4 Prednisone pills as prescribed that day which is a corticosteroid. I'm finding that I can't take that kind of medicine. I was not in my right mind. Yesterday, the effects of the corticosteroid left me feeling wasted/stoned and anxiety big-time.

Today, I was better and got stuff done. I did want to start the fall garden seeds on the solstice, but the medicine got in the way.

Thank you my friend.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2019   #544
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

If anyone is new to this thread or any that I start - I write about real-life and I respect that you will do the same. (I write this because the thread is getting pretty long.)

Tonight, my wife of almost 34 years started talking to me about the container gardens. She sees them as the best thing for the grandchildren. One loves tomatoes, and both cannot eat enough of the Nadapenos and Fooled You jalapeño peppers. Everyone loves the Pretty N Sweet peppers. I haven't mentioned this before, but many children visit here. Our son has friends that have very young girls, and my DILs brother brings over his young children. That is why I planted only 0 heat peppers. The Pretty N Sweet was for the little girls, but everyone loves them.

I said to my wife that this fall container garden will be different because I have observed a better sunlight area. It is so close to the containers garden. I know it will grow well as a spring, summer, and fall garden. I explained that means more buckets and pro mix/MG. She is excited.
Old June 23, 2019   #545
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Pompousness = Charles Emerson Winchester the III.

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2019   #546
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Worth, that MASH picture...
I watched the movie, and every episode so many times.
Old June 25, 2019   #547
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

There are times when I still call container gardening "Raised gardening" in my head. Of course there's a huge difference. To me, gardening happens in soil or what I grew up knowing as "Dirt".

I researched dirt in life experience, and then I learned how to improve on it with organic means. Have you ever peed in your compost bin? I have.

The way I am feeding the containers is hydroponic in a way, and then there is aquaponics. I like that idea.

A lot of things to think about. Welcome to my confused world.
Old June 25, 2019   #548
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I want to find a better way. One that makes you feel good with beauty for all ages.
Old June 25, 2019   #549
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

and you don't have to bend over
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2019   #550
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth View Post
and you don't have to bend over
Exactly.

If it's below my knees - it isn't really there - it's just all in my imagination
Old June 25, 2019   #551
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

"The way I am feeding the containers is hydroponic in a way"

I think we who grow in smaller containers end up doing this because the nutrients in the pots get used up long before the plant is done. I seem to need to adjust the ph downward too as the season progresses. I've read that plain tap water can increase the ph in pots over the growing season if the water is high ph.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2019   #552
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

For now, I'm changing plans for a fall garden. Our car broke down for the final time, and that means getting a different car. It would take a new motor and you just don't put a new motor in a car with 200,000 miles on it.
Old June 26, 2019   #553
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Planting in the old car?
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2019   #554
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Planting in the old car?
lol, the oil from it might not be a good soil amendment. It does have a sunroof though.
Old June 27, 2019   #555
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The way it changes the fall gardening idea = money. Car payments and full-coverage insurance. I have no idea how we are going to do it? We could support 6 people when we owned our car - I'm not sure we can do it now? The Fall garden is going to have to wait until another year or who knows. That's enough negativity.

{ONE THOUGHT) It is possible to grow 4-6 fall plants. I have one bucket of mix already ready. I'm not happy with the taste of Red Pear, so that's another bucket of mix that can be used. There are two buckets with Alma Paprika. They are producing but are still really small plants (Not sure what to do)? Then there are two isolated buckets of crossed Japanese Pink Cherry tomato plants. I don't have a clue how as to isolate genes, so why grow them?

(ANOTHER THOUGHT) is to try to over-summer the plants I already have. During any normal summer in this part of Texas - that's very near impossible. Yet, I have done it with Porter tomato, and countless pepper plants. This year, is very different. It has been way cooler than normal. It feels like mid-May here, and it's hard to believe Independence day is near. I have no idea if the weather will cooperate? If you grew up here in my neck of the woods - you would understand. Late June = omg hot and humid - you wonder how anything can live through it. It's not that way here this year.