Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 24, 2019   #46
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I knew a guy once that bought praying mantis egg cases.
They hatched and all went into the neighbors' yard.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2019   #47
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

A good check of the bees here will happen when the field peas flower. I swear the bees and just about every kind of pollinator in the state of Georgia will be covering those blooms! That will be a while yet as the plants are just 6" tall now.

Meanwhile, they're kind of done with the corn as it's pretty much done releasing pollen. Just some honeybees looking for sloppy seconds.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2019   #48
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I was outdoors a great deal today, at the remote garden that was a rental and still has some road closures from flooding. We finally have a stretch of sunny weather coming here. I planted bush beans ahead of the heatwave. It was a good day except for no bees!
I was there at high noon. Is the time of day a factor in not seeing any bees?

I have a few natives I planted pre-rental, before I knew to buy native to the immediate area. I've gotten some tiny plants from a local native plant group and they document as to the specific hosts of each plant. Very interesting!

I did see two squash babies so something must be around, just not in volumes I am used to seeing especially now when the tomato flowers are going crazy.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2019   #49
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Sadly much of the commercial corn crop is contaminated with pesticides and herbicides (Roundup) which is really bad for the poor bees.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2019   #50
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

At my Urban Garden here in Cypress I am seeing more bees than I have seen in years. Every morning I see them working the Cucumbers and Peppers. Must be the Cleome that are attracting them.

MikeInCypress
Old June 25, 2019   #51
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Sad to say that the honey bees and even the smaller kinds are MIA this summer. We have tons of bumbles enjoying Wejiela, Catmint and Roses, plus everything else that is in bloom. I'm so sad. We are rural, so there has been no spraying for mosquitoes. However it has been very wet this spring and perhaps the nests got flooded out .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2019   #52
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
However it has been very wet this spring and perhaps the nests got flooded out .

Linda
Wild honeybees are almost non existent now and most colonies live in man made beehives which do not tend to get flooded out since they are raised off of the ground.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2019   #53
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I saw a honey bee with a jacket on that said Born To Bee Wild.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2019   #54
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default Bees

Yard is full of clover and the honey bees found it abot 4 days ago..two weeks after the bigger black and yellow bumblebees. The honey bees look smaller than usual. Maybe because of all the rain?
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2019   #55
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I saw my first honey bee today, and a hummingbird moth . They love the catnip, babtisia and weigela

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2019   #56
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

The main pollinators of my tomatoes are sweat bees--I see the little metallic green ones as well as slightly smaller black ones. They're very small bees, but they chew open the tips of the pollen tubes and sonicate to get at the pollen. In the process, they usually expose the stigma, which aids not only pollination but cross pollination between varieties. Tomatoes may not strictly need pollinators, but a study did show larger fruit and better fruit set when sonicating bees are around.

Honeybees don't bother with Solanaceae because the flowers don't produce nectar, and the pollen tubes require sonication to release pollen. Honeybees don't sonicate blooms.

I do see the occasional bumblebee on the tomato flowers, but it's not that common--there's plenty else in my garden that they prefer over the tomatoes. If I'm growing any ground cherries or tomatillos, forget it--the bumblebees will just go to those and ignore the tomatoes entirely. But I'll see dozens of sweat bees on the tomato flowers every day. It could just be my garden, i.e., they found a niche in my particular garden where they don't have a lot of competition. I do see them on the other, more popular flowers, too, but they probably lose out a lot to larger bees.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2019   #57
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I did see a carpenter bee go to the cucumber plants yesterday,so they are around again.
Supposed to have sunny dry weather until Sunday.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2019   #58
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

Honeybees were working my cucumber blossoms hard this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lastfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2019   #59
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfling View Post
Honeybees were working my cucumber blossoms hard this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then cucumbers you shall have.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2019   #60
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Mosquito trucks

In the geographical area where I live it is common practice for city trucks to drive the streets at night in the summertime spraying for mosquitoes. The spray, especially depending on which chemicals are used, can be highly toxic to bees if they come into direct contact with the spray. It is harmful to other pollinators too. Google this.

The problem is that some areas in the country, I remember this a lot from last year, had cases of the West Nile Virus.