Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 16, 2014   #9
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I have seen four San Marzano variations. I have two from Franchi Seeds of Italy. It is a cool company founded in 1783 and is still family owned. They offer over 400 heirloom vegetable seeds. I bet many traded actually came from this company. I had Costoluto Genovese seed from Nancy whom obtained them from brokenbar. I could not get them to germinate. So i ordered some from this company. About 750 seeds for under 4 bucks! No germination problems. My problem with San Marzano was I sun burned the plants, and having to eliminate some due to space, they were culled. It was my fault. Anyway what I'm growing is Costuluto Genovese sel Valente as that is what Franchi sells. Funny this company formed one year after Thomas Jefferson mentions growing them. Wow, this variety has got to be one of the oldest.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote