Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 21, 2012   #1
brian zimmerman
Tomatovillian™

Default trying to find out what's wrong with my tomato plants (pics)

I started growing tomato plants this year from seed, my plants were transplanted about 10 days ago and were looking really good.

This morning though I noticed that all 4 of them had something strange about the lower leaves.

And the top leaves are bending up but not curling up

They were a light purple color around the veins with a light yellow tint between them (mostly still green ) and the tint is kind of blotched around.

The tips of the leafs are bending up and the edges on some have tightly curled under the leaf.

I've attached pics to show the color and curling leaves.

Any ideas would be great. it would be really disheartening to lose the first 4 tomatoes that I started
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0336.jpg (271.4 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0339.jpg (139.2 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0346.jpg (198.7 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0347.jpg (81.2 KB, 129 views)
brian zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012   #2
brian zimmerman
Tomatovillian™

update - the tomatoes leaves have started dieing. they are wilting down and turning black, and they have shiny spots on them aswell. the tomatoes in the pots were the first to look this way however the tomatoes in my actualy garden beds are starting to look the same way.

pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0354.jpg (157.7 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0353.jpg (181.2 KB, 115 views)
Old April 24, 2012   #3
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Hi Brian. A little background of what soil mix are you using, your watering habits, any fertilizer applied, etc. would be helpful. Any white flies,stink bugs, or sudden cold snaps?

Last edited by dustdevil; April 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012   #4
babice
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm...these pics are of them "dying"? I'm still a newbie myself but they don't look like they're dying to me? Did you try id'ing the disease/issue with the stickies posted is the garden disease section? Geez I'm hesitant to suggest anything because I'm such a newbie. But, maybe some diluted aspirin water sprayed on them would help?
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012   #5
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
Hi Brian. A little background of what soil mix are you using, your watering habits, any fertilizer applied, etc. would be helpful.
Yes and, also, it looks like you have them in pots, right? Is there enough drainage?
Old April 24, 2012   #6
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Did you spray them with something?
Full Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012   #7
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I don't see any wilting and turning black in the pictures. From those words, it sounds like one potential issue could be a mold. Within that possibility, there are a few types it could be. A black mold seems to get black cherry plants for me nearly every year at some point. If you want to treat for possible mold, there are several options. I've usually removed the visibly diseased leaves and sprayed the rest with Serenade and Excel G and sometimes other things. There has been a threat about a new anti fungal floating around saying that this new treatment actually systemically treats plants with disease. If you determine that a mold or fungus is your issue, you may want to look for that product. Good luck.

Dewayne mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Mine look horrible compared to those and I'm as happy as a clam with them.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012   #9
brian zimmerman
Tomatovillian™

lol, as to my habits

they are planted in 5 gallon pots, they are watered every 3 days, we had a cold snap here over the past 5 days with just roten weather, lots of rain and wind.

they were fertilized with fisth / seaweed hydrox when they were planted about 2 weeks ago and i mixed in some composted chicken manure 4 days beffor that picture ( about 12 days after the fish / seaweed )

im using standered miricle grow poting soil. and as for the drainage they have far more than enough, they have about 20 holes that are about half an inch round on the sides and bottoms of the pots.

i use hydrogen peroxide in a 1 teaspoon per gallon solution every week for mold prevention on my plants, and 1 tablespoon 3 times a week for treating them if they do happen to catch somthing. i havent seen mold like this beffor but if you guys have maybe i should start treating them. ( however i havent used it on my tomatoes since they were transplanted )
(
as for the pictures im having a hard time getting a good snap of the problem because my camera is cheap and wont focus up close enough to see it.

basicly on the worst leaves just go fully limp like the leaves of realy bad store bought lettuse and the color they turn is black.

they have nice moist soil since the storms ended last night, i went down about 6 inches into the soil to see if they were drowning but they were just fine. the wilt and black leaves happend over night last night. aswell as the shiney spots.

the 6 that i have in my actual garden bed are looking the same now as the ones in the pots. i would remove the leaves that have the problem but they all have the spots on them, with the older ones starting to die.

Last edited by brian zimmerman; April 24, 2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old April 24, 2012   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I don't know if what you have is a disease or a mold or what. If it is any type of foliar disease that is not systemic then you can spray with the dilute bleach spray I have mentioned many times on these forums. It sounds almost like you are describing gray mold or late blight which you don't usually see this early in the year; but this is a strange year.

Can you take a plant to your county extension agent? An experienced one can usually diagnose the common diseases of tomato rather easily.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012   #11
brian zimmerman
Tomatovillian™

i dont exactly know what to think of it at this point. every single leaf has these shiney spots on it, if you look at the pictures in my update you can see what they look like. after a while the ( spots ) kind of conect and when they do the leaf goes limp and changes color.

its a strange thing ive never seen beffor on any plants, normaly its brown, black, or yellow spots. ive never seen this kind of shiney silvery colored spots beffor.
Old April 24, 2012   #12
brian zimmerman
Tomatovillian™

ok so after alot of google fun i think i figured out what it is, ive had a huge problem with thrips this year and i think after looking threw it the spots are caused by feeding damage from the thrips.

any idea how to controll these buggers without pesticides?
Old April 24, 2012   #13
babice
Tomatovillian™

You might try scanning this thread to see if there are any suggestions, although it looks like pesticides were mostly used. Can you separate these plants from the others? Might be wise...

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ghlight=thrips
Old April 24, 2012   #14
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Hope that your composted chicken manure is not to strong, plants don't need this strong manure. I would slow down with all fertilizer and MC Potting soil might be enough food
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012   #15
brian zimmerman
Tomatovillian™

i cant seperate them, right now the disease they spread isnt showing any signs of showing up, it just seems like feeding damage, im going to make a thrip pesticide and see if that helps any.