Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 15, 2018   #2431
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

What a difference a day makes. Yesterday, our high temperature was in the 80sF. Today, it's 40F at 1pm with constant rain. Living in Texas and it being cold means it's most likely cold in a lot of places to our north. The high for today was supposed to be 47F - it isn't going to make it. Compared to yesterday - it's COLD!
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2018   #2432
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The high was probably last night right after midnight.
I have no idea when it hit here I had my AC turned down to 65.
And I bet that is the reason every mosquito in the country ended up in my garage.
They knew the front was coming.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2018   #2433
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I went swimming last Tuesday in 80F; by Friday it was a high of 50F. Fall has finally arrived here. Might as well pick all the rest of the tomatoes; nothing's going to ripen in the cold.

Days are too short, dank & rainy. My Seasonal Affective Disorder is hitting hard.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2018   #2434
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Don't be SAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
I went swimming last Tuesday in 80F; by Friday it was a high of 50F. Fall has finally arrived here. Might as well pick all the rest of the tomatoes; nothing's going to ripen in the cold.

Days are too short, dank & rainy. My Seasonal Affective Disorder is hitting hard.

Nan
Certainly there is SOMETHING you can grow indoors? African Violets? Herbs? Or go to the grocery store and buy some inexpensive bouquets to brighten up a few rooms. A girl's gotta do what she's gotta do.

Donna
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1015181610a.jpg (336.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 1015181610d.jpg (380.5 KB, 55 views)
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2018   #2435
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Donna, for those cheerful pictures! I'm growing out some F3 tomatoes over the winter; unfortunately they are being devoured by fungus gnats right now, so not much help. What can I do about the gnats? (doing Mosquito Dunks, fan, & mycobacteria currently)

But maybe I do need some flowers in here...
Old October 15, 2018   #2436
bower
Tomatovillian™

Mosquito dunks are the only thing that works. Put some pebbles in the drainage tray too so they can't get the damp soil they crave.

I was going to say how much I enjoy growing a few greens indoors during the winter under lights. The lights add great ambiance in the living area, so don't just hide em in a basement... put em where they benefit you the most.

In weather news, the word of the weatherman today is "bombogenesis". Yes the dreaded weather bomb. A low pressure system which has been raining on Keith in da UP (afaict from the satellite image) is just going to drop the bottom out of the barometer in the 24 hours it takes to get here from there, thus bringing not only masses of rain but whipping up winds gusting 120-140 kph.

Since pot becomes legal here at midnight on Tuesday, we're calling it "high winds" with a grin and a wink!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2018   #2437
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Location: Cold hardy zone 4b-5a, Heat zone 4-5, Sunset zone 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Thanks, Donna, for those cheerful pictures! I'm growing out some F3 tomatoes over the winter; unfortunately they are being devoured by fungus gnats right now, so not much help. What can I do about the gnats? (doing Mosquito Dunks, fan, & mycobacteria currently)

But maybe I do need some flowers in here...
The mosquito dunks work! I do a watering with some peroxide in the watering can when moving plants inside. I then water with mosquito dunks in the watering can the rest of the winter. It's really improved the health of my indoor plants over the last year.

I also have two DynoTrap brand wall plug in traps. Full disclosure, I got them free as a perk from my job. I have one in my kitchen, mainly for fruit flies that always seem to show up around harvest season, and one in my living room near most of my indoor plants. I will be buying a third free standing one for my seed starting setup where I am over wintering some plants too.
I also have used the yellow sticky traps...they're not expensive and they work.

What helps my seasonal affective disorder the best is making sure I have plenty of vitamin d (get your levels checked!) and healthy fats (fish, olive oil, coconut oil, butter or ghee) and using a sunlight lamp in the morning (I have it right next to our breakfast table all winter...in fact I'm going to go get it set up tonight!)
I also have to take vitamin B complex because I have the MTFHR Gene mutation...finding that out really helped my sluggishness and constant exhaustion (especially
during the cold months) ...maybe b vitamins would help you.

It's not a cure or perfect and I still crave spring and sunlight...but it helps.

gwendolyninthegarden.blogspot.com

Last edited by MissMoustache; October 15, 2018 at 07:42 PM.
MissMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2018   #2438
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Having a greenhouse is a great treatment for being sick of winter. Solariums built onto houses for the rich were common in the 1700 and 1800s; the White House had one for a while.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2018   #2439
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Mosquito dunks are the only thing that works. Put some pebbles in the drainage tray too so they can't get the damp soil they crave.

I was going to say how much I enjoy growing a few greens indoors during the winter under lights. The lights add great ambiance in the living area, so don't just hide em in a basement... put em where they benefit you the most.

In weather news, the word of the weatherman today is "bombogenesis". Yes the dreaded weather bomb. A low pressure system which has been raining on Keith in da UP (afaict from the satellite image) is just going to drop the bottom out of the barometer in the 24 hours it takes to get here from there, thus bringing not only masses of rain but whipping up winds gusting 120-140 kph.

Since pot becomes legal here at midnight on Tuesday, we're calling it "high winds" with a grin and a wink!
Old October 15, 2018   #2440
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

seems like its been raining since the beginning of september here.
wishing it would stop raining doesn't help because then we would get snow showers.
careful what you wish for.
getting grouchy.

had some recent local flooding that caused some additional road damage here and there. repairs are still ongoing from the fathers day flood. some areas of damage won't get done this year.
on my road, a culvert got washed out causing a partial collapse on one side of the road.
that is finally being repaired. would have been a problem for the plow drivers otherwise.
supposed to get a couple days in the 50s later this week.
highs have been in the 40s, lows in the 30s. rain, snow or a mix of both. windy from the northwest.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2018   #2441
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith View Post
seems like its been raining since the beginning of september here.

keith
It has been the same way here in this part of Texas. September was the wettest one on record here, and October is looking to set records too. Today was the record breaking coldest high temperature beating out the previous record back in 1923. That was 95 years ago. The U.P., and where I live is a little over 1,350 miles apart. Too much rain is too much - no matter where we live.
Old October 16, 2018   #2442
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Places in France were flooded today.
Old October 16, 2018   #2443
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Hmm, interesting. I know a few Newfoudlanders that will welcome that though never thought
much about it before.

I grow macro greens year round and micro tomatoes and dwarf sunflowers. All started
downstairs but are moved up to the kitchen window shelf when ready to harvest. First round of
sunflowers are about ready to bloom with many more started in succession throughout the winter season.
Salads I start weekly for endless harvest all winter....going on 5 years now.

All plants coming indoors get the 8% peroxide treatment and a food boost. AND a water soaked
mosquito dunk flush. (I had to run a tray outside that had bug hell infestation) last week.
Just gave it another flush.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2018   #2444
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Bower, "Since pot becomes legal here at midnight on Tuesday, we're calling it "high winds" with a grin and a wink! "

Bower, I'm glad you all have the legal rights to choose.

I have seen the results throughout my life. That's the most I will write publically.
Old October 16, 2018   #2445
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Balmy 63F in the house this morning.

Worth