Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old March 28, 2015   #46
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
One thing ive noticed about tree trimmings, its quite a bit different than wood chips, lots of twigs bark and leaves with a presumably higher N content than straight wood chips that might be used for pulp.

Ive had piles of tree trimmings from the chipper get extremely hot. So hot in fact I would worry it might burst into flames!
That is pretty awesome...

It kinda blows my mind, the sort of resources you folks have to work with... I would think I had died and gone to heaven!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2015   #47
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Time for an update. Today I will document the starting soil tests for all three plots, so everyone can see the challenges I will be facing this year. Unfortunately this will be an extreme challenge on my new plot.

As you can see, the north plot (1/10th acre) that has been using the system 2 years now is sufficient in all nutrients except nitrogen..rating 13. However, this is simply the free nitrogen. Biological processes will release nitrogen throughout the growing season as needed in a biology based system. SOM is still only 2.6% but it is rising. That plot I am sure will be fine.

The south plot (1 acre) has only been in the project 1 year. Still slightly deficient in P and K and only 5 in nitrogen. That field obviously needs some help. I am bound to get better yields than last year but I will probably need some form of organic amendments. I'll probably go with mostly a wood chip based compost. I haven't fully 100% decided yet. Partially composted wood chip mulch I can get free by the truckloads. Fully composted will cost 10 dollars a trailer load. Might be worth it as nutrients are needed and SOM is only 1.4% .

The new plot I call north east (1/2 acre and expandable in future years) is pretty bad indeed. Easy to see why this farm was abandoned. Soil is very deficient in nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium. Soil is also slightly acidic (6.0). Nitrogen is only 2 and worse, phosphorus is only 2! SOM is 1.7%. This will certainly be a severe challenge. Besides compost and mulches, I may also need to buy some fertilizer as well. I haven't decided which one yet, but leaning towards Texas Tomato food.

The good news is all three plots are LitB soil type. That's a sandy loam clay that responds extremely well to good organic management practises. It may be terrible now and it may be a challenge, but I suspect that even in this horrible state I should be able to pull a profitable crop with minimal inputs....and improve the soil at the same time. We will see.
Those results look great when compared to mine last summer. They recommended I even lime the area that I'm planting blueberries in!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2015   #48
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Post #45 has a broken link. Here it is fixed.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2015   #49
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

Scott... thanks for sharing these videos, and your experiences. Very informative, and helpful!

-Jimmy
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #50
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Post #45 has a broken link. Here it is fixed.
I cant get the video to run. Keep getting a message there was a problem with the network.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #51
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I keep getting the same "problem with the network" when trying to link all of your videos.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #52
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

The videos work find for me. Perhaps the problem is because they are "https" instead of a "http" links. Some internet browsers are setup to only allow "https" that are specifically given permission to connect.

Interesting video. Thanks Scott.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #53
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
I cant get the video to run. Keep getting a message there was a problem with the network.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
I keep getting the same "problem with the network" when trying to link all of your videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q1VnwcpW7E

or if that doesn't work....try googling "Humus - the essential ingredient: Graeme Sait at TEDxNoosa"

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old April 3, 2015   #54
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q1VnwcpW7E

or if that doesn't work....try googling "Humus - the essential ingredient: Graeme Sait at TEDxNoosa"
I will try again from my computer. I am using an ASUS pad I got for Christmas, and sometimes things dont work correctly like they would from a real computer.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #55
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

The last link worked for me. Thanks.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015   #56
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Time to update my early germination results for the tomato seedling Bioensure trials today. In my pepper trials the Bioensure treated seeds germinated before the controls by a day or two on average. Just the opposite on my tomato trials. The control Rutgers started popping through today, neither The Miracle BPF nor any of the Bioensure treated seeds have started yet.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old May 4, 2015   #57
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Time for an update. The first trial plot of bell pepper seedlings is in the ground at the south plot. 36 bioensure and 36 controls, planted in the field 5/2. They look pretty sad. We had a week of cold rainy wet weather and they definitely didn't like it. Peppers are tough though. If they pull through we should be ok.

Also planted one section of Zapolita Chico sweet corn over the weekend too. 12 short rows ~ 25 each Bioensure and 16 short rows control. Pattern 4c-4B-4c-4B-4c-4B-4c. I'll be adding a new section in one week.

My mower is down, so I wasn't able to plant the newly cleared 1/2 acre across the street. Got to seriously get that mowed and fast. Times a wasting! One good thing. In my 1/10th acre plot I started with, I couldn't mow either, but that means my cover crop of peas and rye is really turning into a jungle! And I was actually able to pick some peas today! Boy were they sweet! In a way I am glad I didn't mow them yet!Who knows? With some luck I may be able to harvest enough to sell before the mower gets fixed! A cover crop that pays for itself! Gotta love it.

I'll try to get some pictures soon.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old May 9, 2015   #58
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Well I lost the first plot of Zapolita Chico sweet corn. It washed away when the creek overflowed. I'll just replant when the field dries out enough to get into it. The peppers after all the rain and hail are down to a couple small leaves just at the growing tip only.... But still alive.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old May 9, 2015   #59
bower
Tomatovillian™

Fingers crossed for you Scott.
The peppers may be okay, I've seen them come back from the worst...
Optimism is, I think, a first requirement for farmers everywhere.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015   #60
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Planted out in the field yesterday south field: 57 tomatoes Took about 1 hour.

10 The Miracle BPF control
10 The Miracle BPF Bioensure treated
10 Rutger's det control
10 Rutger's det Bioensure treated
9 Celebrity myco treated by Dutch....Thanks Dutch!
8 4th of July

We tried to get the tractor out to spread more rows of partially composted wood chip mulch so I could do more, but it was just too wet. Tractor was making ruts in the ground. Will need to wait till the ground dries out more before the south field can get more done. Boy is it a mess.

In my small north field 1/10th acre plot the day before I was able to transplant:
20 California Wonder controls
20 California Wonder Bioensure treated seedlings.

They are looking pretty sad but if I can just keep them alive 2 weeks when the sun finally comes out to stay they might recover.

I also picked a bag of sugar snap peas today from my cover crop (rye peas mix). The rye is waist to chest high and the peas right in there with them! Man those peas are good! What a bonus! This wet cool weather is almost ideal for winter planted early sugar snap peas! That's turning out to be an ideal situation. Higher than average warmer spring, but not too hot because of all the clouds and rain. I will for sure do this again.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison

Last edited by Redbaron; May 15, 2015 at 04:05 PM.