Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old January 14, 2011   #1
Toothless_Kitty
Tomatovillian™

Default Taters in Hay?

I saw a blurb on TV a few days ago about growing potaoes in a bag with hay? We have a rooftop garden and would love to have some taters. If there is some way to grow them in a bag we could hang them off the hand rails. We get tons of sun up there. Also a lot of wind.
Thanks so much, Laura
Toothless_Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2011   #2
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

You need enough soil in the bottom of the bag to grow strong healthy plants. The foot or so of hay/straw or leaves etc on top of that simply keeps light off of the developing tubers.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2011   #3
David Marek
Tomatovillian™

Long story short, I had a zolushka potato seedling planted in a 3 gallon nursery container/pot in late spring after a stevia plant was already living in there and got 5 kiwi sized tubers. Those tubers can plant 5 more pots next season, which will likely produce more per pot, or make one meal.

I just used regular potting soil in the pot. It was sitting in the driveway all summer and got watered every 2-3 days (usually twice in succession). They got 6-8 hours of sun per day, shaded in the afternoon.

I have used hay and straw as mulch quite successfully for plants planted in the ground- made them easy to "pick"- not much digging needed.

An image of 5- gallon buckets hanging from ropes just popped into my mind, not sure if you share that vision.

With lots of heat and light (and water) sweet potatoes would certainly enjoy those conditions.

David
(Heading off to sweep dirt from the floor where I dumped out that pot)
David Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2011   #4
Toothless_Kitty
Tomatovillian™

Haven't decided yet. I'm going to keep turning the idea around in my remaining brain cell. And keep my eyes peeled for inpiration. I've been dwelling on those Aldi's bags. Big and square. Close but not quite.

Thanks for the info.
Laura
Toothless_Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote