Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 16, 2012   #1
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Default How's your strawberry patch doing?

I picked a ripe strawberry today. It was delicious. There are more out there about ready to pick. The variety is Earliglobe. This is 3 weeks earlier than normal.

For the strawberry growers out there, how is your season shaping up?

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2012   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

I've got a fruit that's a couple days away from ripe with lots of other fruit set already and many blooms. The plants seem very happy and look beautiful but I have had to water here to keep them that way. Looks like our harvest might be earlier than normal, too.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2012   #3
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I've got lots of blooms and a few small berries but I'm having to cover/uncover them often. Freeze warnings again tonight mean I'll be out raking straw in the dark when I get home.

If I can keep them alive they might be 3 weeks or more early.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2012   #4
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Let's just say we had a chicken accident yesterday. 9 year olds and chickens do not belong together adjacent to the garden without supervision.
Okay. I'm done venting now. I'll just keep drinking my sake, chilled.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2012   #5
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

No ripe ones yet. Within the next week or so, I'm thinking. The ones in the front yard got infested with aphids and are just now recovering, but they have lots of blossoms.

The "patch" (it's only 4 plants) in the backyard have all got fruits and lots of blossoms. The aphids didn't find them, surprisingly. Blurry picture: http://i39.tinypic.com/fnwqdg.jpg

Here's one with berries. They aren't the biggest fruits, but they're the biggest group of them that have formed so far. http://i41.tinypic.com/pxd2x.jpg

I bought 6 more plants for my raised bed in March but have been picking off all of the growth that isn't leaves since they've only got 2-3 each.
Old April 17, 2012   #6
nicky
Tomatovillian™

I had to move my strawberry patch a few weeks ago during our raised bed/greenhouse construction. I have only seen 1 or 2 blooms on the couple of hundred plants. Hopefully they will do OK this year. Definately nothing anywhere near ripe.
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012   #7
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

We are in the process of changing tired out strawberry plants for new ones. The old half (Honeyeye -sp?) has lots of blossoms but no berries yet. The new Earlyglo are greening up nicely and beginning to spread their wings.
Old April 17, 2012   #8
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Here is one from Sunday Although I keep loosing to te sow bugs that burrow and eat away at the berries!!! Help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334676421.991039.jpg (219.0 KB, 20 views)
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012   #9
Duets
Tomatovillian™

I originally planted 10 strawberry plants, they produced & did fine.....til the neighborhood kids found them, lol. Now I am back to growing phase again. They must have been good, since they only left me 1 strawberry to sample!

I have since, planted a dozen more & placed them in the garden where they are less accessible!
Duets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012   #10
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Let's just say we had a chicken accident yesterday. 9 year olds and chickens do not belong together adjacent to the garden without supervision.
Okay. I'm done venting now. I'll just keep drinking my sake, chilled.

Oooooh, Ouch. I don't have chickens, but I do have to protect my plants from the (wild) birds or they will go after the red berries. I have several frames covered with chicken wire that I place over the bed. A pain in the neck, but ya do what ya gotta do.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Old April 18, 2012   #11
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I picked a handful of strawberries today, but had to toss most of them. We had 4.25 inches of rain this weekend, and the berries were sitting in mud.

Wet + ripe strawberries = .

Old April 18, 2012   #12
swamper
Tomatovillian™

not a blossom here yet.
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012   #13
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Sow bugs ate another two to death today. Suggestions?
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012   #14
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth_10 View Post
I picked a handful of strawberries today, but had to toss most of them. We had 4.25 inches of rain this weekend, and the berries were sitting in mud.

Wet + ripe strawberries = .
Oh, no! Can you build a little high roof over it? Sort of like a hoop cover but high enough not to hold in heat?
I planted mine in plastic sweater boxes so that I can bring them indoors this summer. I moved them to a shady area a week or two ago as it was getting pretty hot. Strawberries don't do well in AZ except as an annual. I'm hoping. Can grow them under lights for the summer, then back out in the fall.
Old April 20, 2012   #15
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
Sow bugs ate another two to death today. Suggestions?
Use sluggo. Te iron will get them. I have a lot of sow bugs here too.