Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 7, 2012   #1
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Default Santa Maria Tomato?

Anyone ever heard of it? My friend who grows tomatoes, and from what I can gather most all from SSE yearbook at one time or another, grows these huge paste tomatoes, has for awhile. He gave me tomatoes to harvest seeds since he has been promising these to me for a few years. Anyway, I googled Santa Maria tomato and nothing. Hoping someone recognizes the name or maybe realizes the name has a mistake like it is Santa Someone else.
The tomatoes are pictured in the middle plate directly above Czech Bush, the big pastes, and they get even bigger than those ones.
tomparty51.jpg
Thanks for your help,
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2012   #2
Texas Blues
Tomatovillian™

Could it be a reference to this town?

http://santamariatimes.com/news/loca...871e3ce6c.html
Texas Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2012   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Remy, I checked a few back YEarbooks b'c you indicated that you thought the person got most of his varieties from the YEarbook.I have them all the way back to 1975, less the 1982 one, but I'm not that motivated to keep looking b'c a person may offer a variety for only one year.

I checked Ventmarin for Santa M, Ste M and Sainte M b'c all are possible, but with no luck.

Texas, I also ran across many links to Santa Maria, a place in CA, but no specific tomatoes were discussed.

If no one else comes up with an answer Remy I'm going to suggest that you ask either Lurley or Carol Knapp to run a search at the online 2012 varieties, not the public catalog, b/c they did that for me for Tadesse and Wuhib and it was very helpful. B'c if you specify one variety for the search you get back all the info that was given for it since SSE started.

As for me, I've opted out of having my varieties listed in the online and I ask Joanne at SSE to do it for me anyway, although she did for 2012, but no more starting in 2013. So I can't do the search for you.

I didn't take the time to Google the alternative ways in which something like Santa Maria as a tomato variety could be spelled, as given above as Ste, Saint, Sainte, b/c often a variety can be expressed in both English and French.

Hope that helps.
Old September 7, 2012   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here's a couple links I turned up on this side of the pond. Ami

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Tomate-Santa-...-/310157609400

http://www.griechische-pflanzen-und-...ilien-10-Samen
Old September 7, 2012   #5
kurt
Tomatovillian™

From what I remember when living in Germany it basically means Brazilian origin and description under the photo has a Greek link to it.Samen are seeds.
Old September 7, 2012   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

If you link on to that ebay international,close out,then go to the American ebay you will get a recently viewed mirror of the int. site with some conversions and some translations.
Old September 7, 2012   #7
remy

Carolyn,
If I can narrow down the time frame, I'll let you know then maybe you can look when you have time.

I was sort of surprised not to find anything about this tomato since he loves it so much. I figure others would too. But maybe he has the wrong saint, lol.

Ami,
Thanks for searching. These do not look like that. They are giant pastes more akin to Romeo or a big ox heart.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Old September 8, 2012   #8
remy

Well, I found out why no one has heard of it before. It in not from SSE like many of his other tomatoes, but from an Italian immigrant, now deceased. The man was a friend or a neighbor of my friend's wife's father here in Niagara county. I will have to talk to her and hopefully she knows more, but if not at least I know it is from Italy.
Remy

Old September 8, 2012   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
Well, I found out why no one has heard of it before. It in not from SSE like many of his other tomatoes, but from an Italian immigrant, now deceased. The man was a friend or a neighbor of my friend's wife's father here in Niagara county. I will have to talk to her and hopefully she knows more, but if not at least I know it is from Italy.
Remy
Remy, your picture of it reminds me a LOT of the variety Giannini, also from Italy to the US and a variety I love and have offered seeds here for it as well as SSE listing it for a few years as well as sending it here and there for trial.

Take a look:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Giannini
Old September 8, 2012   #10
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Remy, I did check in the SSE online yearbook historical listings last night, and did not see that name in either the red or pink sections. How exciting to find a new heirloom among your neighbors! Hope you find out the history, and can offer seeds on your website.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2012   #11
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Remy, I just have to ask, what are those tomatoes in the plate above the SMs? They look like they are colored in half, one side black, one side red. Or does it just seem like that from the angle from which the pic was taken?
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2012   #12
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
Remy, I just have to ask, what are those tomatoes in the plate above the SMs? They look like they are colored in half, one side black, one side red. Or does it just seem like that from the angle from which the pic was taken?
If you could see a close-up, I'm sure you'd see the purple color of anthocyanin on those tomatoes, peebee. I'm sure Remy will chime in about what they are, but they could be a segregation from the OSU Blue she's working on, or one of Tom Wagner's blue cherry lines like Bing Cherry. It's quite a striking look, isn't it?
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2012   #13
remy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Remy, your picture of it reminds me a LOT of the variety Giannini, also from Italy to the US and a variety I love and have offered seeds here for it as well as SSE listing it for a few years as well as sending it here and there for trial.

Take a look:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Giannini
Carolyn, they do look similar though Santa Maria average tomato is larger. Not sure if you can see, but the other paste to the left is Rinaldo which probably run more in the size of Giannini's description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Remy, I did check in the SSE online yearbook historical listings last night, and did not see that name in either the red or pink sections. How exciting to find a new heirloom among your neighbors! Hope you find out the history, and can offer seeds on your website.
Ddsack, It is pretty neat to find a new heirloom. My friend has been bragging about this tomato for a long time and been promising me seeds. So I'm glad he brought me tomatoes finally. I didn't find out much more. It was his wife's father's friend who orginally came Italy and brought the seeds with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
Peebee, No you are not seeing things. Those are Indigo Rose that I grew.
Remy

Old December 16, 2015   #14
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Wanted to bump this since I got seeds for it and still cant find much info on it. Would like to hear any results from growing/thoughts and or pics if you have them. Trying to get my 2016 grow list going and I want to grow these but would like more info.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2015   #15
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

BVV I suggest you check out The Sample Seed Shop for more info on this one.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote