Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old March 27, 2015   #1
linuxmoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Fence height for cucumbers?

I've always grown my cucumbers on the ground, but in the interest of saving space, I think I would like to give a try to growing them on wire.
I know that I've seen some other discussions on here of people doing that.
I have approximately 30ft rows, and I was thinking of putting a run of 4ft wire down each, supported by metal "T" posts. Should 4ft be adequate? I know that the vines can get quite long, but I'm hoping to train them down the wire. Anyone doing similar? If so, how much room did you leave between plants? Did you do a double row or single? I'm thinking of doing a double row, alternating sides with the plants.
FYI, I'm growing National Pickling cucumber.
Thanks.
linuxmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2015   #2
reddeheddefarm
Tomatovillian™

4 feet isn't even close. Our trellises ar 7 feet and they still get over run with soya longs and Armenian cukes
reddeheddefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2015   #3
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

4' doesnt seem high enough, but growing them on the ground is even lower! If there is plenty of room between plants, I would think you could train them to grow horizontally and they would still be thrilled to be off the ground.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2015   #4
Marcus1
Tomatovillian™

I grow some pickles on 4 foot fencing to save space. I like Eureka F1, it was breed for trellis production, it puts out more tendrils to grab the fence and the pickles have better length to girth ratio. I space the plants close on one foot centers with 5 feet between rows. Slicing cukes go on a 6' fence same spacing.
Good luck
Marcus
Marcus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #5
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

4' is more than adequate with a 2-1/2' - 3' spacing. As previously mentioned they can go left/right as well as up.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Four feet will work. Some of the benefits of growing on a fence or trellis are obvious. Better air circulation, easier on your back, better/easier insect control, less chance of mold and mildew, and watering them is easier...etc.

Perfect fencing height depends on who is picking the vegetables. My wife stands five foot tall, so I don't run fencing over five foot tall for her. We do grow morning glories on a 7' tall fence, but they're flowers - not something you have to pick.

Something a lot of us don't think about is snakes and rodents like hiding in and under plants that cover the ground.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

One year I put up a 4 foot welded wire fence for my cucumbers.

They ran across the garden and started climbing my tomatoes.
The other end ended up jumping to a mesquite tree and covering it.

The tree looked like it was a cucumber tree.

Then there was the year I had the 20' long by 10' high "The great wall of cucumbers".

When row cropping I plant them about 6 inches apart and let nature thin them out.

Cucumbers are fun, this year I think I will make a cucumber arbor.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #8
JoParrott

Armenian cucumbers are so much fun--and delicious! I had one plant in my rock garden last year that hardly had a good root system, but it rambled and produced like crazy!
Old March 29, 2015   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
Armenian cucumbers are so much fun--and delicious! I had one plant in my rock garden last year that hardly had a good root system, but it rambled and produced like crazy!
How much shade can they handle?
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #10
linuxmoose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
4' is more than adequate with a 2-1/2' - 3' spacing. As previously mentioned they can go left/right as well as up.
So, you leave one plant at 2 1/2' - 3' spacing, or do you do them in hills/groups of several plants?
Old March 29, 2015   #11
linuxmoose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus1 View Post
I grow some pickles on 4 foot fencing to save space. I like Eureka F1, it was breed for trellis production, it puts out more tendrils to grab the fence and the pickles have better length to girth ratio. I space the plants close on one foot centers with 5 feet between rows. Slicing cukes go on a 6' fence same spacing.
Good luck
Marcus
Are you doing one plant per foot, or are you doing multiple/hills on 1 ft centers?
Old March 29, 2015   #12
Marcus1
Tomatovillian™

linuxmoose. Yes one plant per foot. My rows are continuos mounds about 18" high, 12" wide on the top and about 3-4 ft. @ the bottom. I run a double drip tape 2" under the surface, one on each side,top of the mound then I cover the mound with black fabric. You could do multiple hills. Since I use drip tape i've found it easier to lay the tape if it doesn't have to go up and down hills. I hope that helps.
Good luck
Marcus
Marcus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #13
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmoose View Post
So, you leave one plant at 2 1/2' - 3' spacing, or do you do them in hills/groups of several plants?
You could probably get away with 1-2 foot spacing if you were to plant 1 vine per spot. Cucumbers crawl all over the place and thrive. My gardens are all raised beds, because I live on a solid sheet of bedrock with 2" of soil. I space 6 seeds in a square foot area for cucumbers, the next grouping is about 3 foot from that. I only grow 3 vines max from each group planted, culling the others (if they all come up) to avoid crowding. As the vines grow, I put them on the wires and just let them go own their own from there. I think my chicken wire trellis was only about 36" high last year and I had no issues growing or harvesting. My setup changes every year based on what I plant and where ... also based a little on what things I have on hand and what my mood is .

Just to clarify, I generally only plant 4 groups in a 12' row.... growing just for the family, not for commercial sale. I always get way more than I need and end up giving extras to friends, co-workers and neighbors. This year we might try pickling, so there could be a few extra groups if I expand a little more. I have 2 months before planting time so lots of time to think about it. Space allocated for my corn and peppers always gets more priority, but I never seem to get as much corn as I need when I need it.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #14
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

A 4-foot trellis is tall enough for cucumbers here; they will climb over the top at full growth, but are easily trained to stay off the ground. This is what a 4-foot trellis looks like with vines:
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2015   #15
linuxmoose
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the great advice, all. I think I'm going to give it a try with the 4ft wire. Zeedman, yours look great!