Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 13, 2006   #16
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

How much cold can a tomato stand? Not much. They may can survive in it, but they can't thrive in it.

Don
Old February 14, 2006   #17
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

Well, they didnt make it, even with the mulch. Just my luck. The only freezing temps we've had all winter. Its like when I'm playing hold'em and I sit for an hour to draw a pair of kings and go all in and someone else has a pair of aces.
I'll just try again next weekend.
Chuck B
Plantersville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2006   #18
angelique
Tomatovillian™

When hardening-off tomato plants is it okay to expose them to temperatures in the low-mid 50'sF. Sacramento area weather has been in the high 60's-mid 70'sF. This week we were hit by some cold air from Alaska that has brought us into the 50sF. Also, how does windchill factor into temperature for tomatoes. The National Weather Service shows my current temperature as 54F with a windchill of 49F. In this type of weather, can I leave my tomatoes outside? BTW, I usually bring in my tomatoes about 5 pm. With the cold spell nights are in the 30'sF. Until recently, they have been in the mid 40'sF.
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote