Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 28, 2015   #1
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default Any advice on these strains?

Hello everyone:

Cucumbers are essential, and apart from the spacemaster, munchers, SuperZagross, Calypsos and National Pickling that are already growing, I decided to double down and get more.

These 5 arrived a few days ago and are germinating.

All from Baker Creek:

Delikatesse (a German Variety)
White Emerald (Thai)
Hoffman's Johanna aka Giganta (since it says "European variety" then I guess it must be fancy and cosmopolitan)
Sagami Hanjiro (Banzai!!!!!)
Richmond Green Apple (Aussie)

Anyone have any feelings pro/con about any of these guys? I appreciate all your input. Thanks!

EDIT:

Last edited by Gerardo; July 28, 2015 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Please disregard "strains" and we'll pretend it says "varieties."
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2015   #2
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

I have never grown any you mentioned except National Pickling and it was super productive. I want to grow Metki Armenian cucumber next year. It is actually a melon, but tastes like a cuke. I read it tolerates the heat better. Have you ever tried that Gerardo?
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2015   #3
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Nat Pic has been very productive for me too. I've been meaning to try one of those melons/cukes. I'll include one in the next batch.

I'm hoping for a long growing season, but with the augurs-haruspicy and weather satellites all hinting at El Ñino, it's probably going to be too wet come wintertime.
Old July 28, 2015   #4
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Nat Pic has been very productive for me too. I've been meaning to try one of those melons/cukes. I'll include one in the next batch.

I'm hoping for a long growing season, but with the augurs-haruspicy and weather satellites all hinting at El Ñino, it's probably going to be too wet come wintertime.

I hope the weather is in your favor.
I found seed for Metki White Armenian Cucumber at Lowe's this weekend. You might find seed locally for that one.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2015   #5
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Very cool, next time I'm at Lowe's I'll give it a shot.