Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 21, 2022   #1
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

Default Can I trust b.t. spray?

Can I trust b.t. to do its job while I'm gone for about a week?

I've removed over 20 baby hornworms and dozens of eggs off my small 10 plants since the weekend. Leaving this afternoon. I sprayed with monterey b.t. last night.

There were six more baby hornworms this morning.

It would not be fun returning to my little crop gone that I'm struggling with already. Debating asking the neighbor to check them out, but concerned about liability. I have family that could swing by, although they are elderly and access requires going down stairs without a hand rail. The guilt if they hurt themselves are not worth the potential prevention.

Anything else I can do, or is this one of those just hope it'll work out, and if not, laugh it off and try again next year?

Thank you for your time!
paradajky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2022   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

BT will kill hornworms and effectively and safely for everything but worms. Be aware that the life of the BT is effective between one and four days so the last three days of your absence if you have another infestation there may be hornworms eating leaves. I bet a good dosage will kill everything you have.
Old June 21, 2022   #3
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

I was not aware its life was only 1-4 days. The instructions say to spray weekly.

I appreciate the information, got it and understood, thank you!
Old June 21, 2022   #4
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I've been doing approx weekly for cole crops this year. I use the BT at spec (1 tbsp per gal for mine) so for a 1/2 gal hf sprayer it is a big teaspoon + a drop of dish soap + dribble ~1/2 tsp of molasses. It has been working really well, no worms at all on anything as yet.

I have yet to try it on tomatoes, not too many hornworms here. I'd definitely trust it for a week on cole crops.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2022   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I use a wettable powder that is very concentrated and add some Dawn or wetting solution to the mix and spray my whole garden with it several times a season. I used to just apply bt to problem areas but found that I was having to mix it up and spray more often. So far this year I have only had a few foliage worms, a couple of pickle worms and two tomato fruit worms. I try to spray about every three weeks or so and it has reduced the usual damage from worms tremendously this year. I wish I knew a way to deal with spider mites as easily because I know they will be here soon with the extreme heat and dry weather we have been having.

This is a link to the product I use and it stores for a long time and a little goes a long way.
https://www.domyown.com/dipel-pro-df...de-p-2361.html

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2022   #6
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

I'm back now a week later - family was kind enough to spray again at day 3, and I arrived home to a jungle of tomato plants, with no hornworms, yay!!

b54red: thank you for the powdered B.T. link!! I have liquid concentrate for this year, which has a shelf life of only a year. The powder form lasts 3 years according to the literature, and is only a few bucks more expensive than the liquid concentrate, so I will get some next year.