Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 8, 2021   #1
johnkaplantech
Tomatovillian™

Default 2021 cherry tomatoes coming in

Top: Fahrenheit Blues - First year with these. Seem healthy and fairly prolific, nice rich cherry tomato flavor with exotic indigo & dark red color.
Right: Green Grape - Grown these a few times. They are relatively delicate and sometimes get heat stress/low yield in the Colorado sun. This year I've got a few healthy plants and am getting a decent yield. Flavor is wonderful; they are sugary sweet with a citrus undertone. I love these, so keep trying even though they are harder to grow.
Bottom: Pink Bumble Bee - First year with these. They were last to ripen compared to the other cherries; first ripe ones this week. They were delicate in the nursery; several got sick, but a couple plants survived and are robust and healthy in the garden with a lot of tomatoes on the vines. Flavor is great - slightly sweet with grassy undertone, and the red/orange stripes are gorgeous.
Left: Coyote - Second year with these. Healthy, vigorous plants grow clusters of these tiny currant tomatoes. The best part is the flavor - which is mild but very sweet, so are much more flavorful than you usually expect with yellow tomatoes.
Upper left corner: A few Matt's Wild Cherries - I grow these a lot. Super-vigorous and disease-resistant plants grow into huge jungles every year. I have one plant this year, and it has already reached the top of the 8-foot trellis. These are usually smaller fruits, more like currant size, but this plant has some bigger cherries. Flavor is OK, a little more acidic than I usually like, but I use these as rootstock for cherry tomato grafts because they are so vigorous, disease-free (and free seed-saving heirlooms for God's sake! When does that ever happen with rootstock?) ...So I grow them every year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3519.jpg (168.8 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by johnkaplantech; August 8, 2021 at 06:40 PM.
johnkaplantech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2021   #2
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Looking good!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote