Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 7, 2023   #1
QAGuy
Tomatovillian™

Default My Sun Sugar is still going strong

It's the only plant that has survived to this point. Still producing tomatoes. It's grown over the top of my 6 foot trellis and trails back down to the ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sun Sugar Feb 2023 1.jpg (174.2 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg Sun Sugar Feb 2023 2.jpg (157.4 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Sun Sugar crop Feb 23.jpg (125.0 KB, 199 views)
Old February 10, 2023   #2
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

When did you plant this monster?
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2023   #3
QAGuy
Tomatovillian™

April of last year. Haven't fed or watered it in months.
Old February 11, 2023   #4
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

That plant looks incredible! So healthy, no leaf loss anywhere? I'd say save seeds from if it wasn't a hybrid. Looks like you can keep the whole neighborhood in cherry tomatoes! Will be interesting to see how long you can keep it going!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2023   #5
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
That plant looks incredible! So healthy, no leaf loss anywhere? I'd say save seeds from if it wasn't a hybrid. Looks like you can keep the whole neighborhood in cherry tomatoes! Will be interesting to see how long you can keep it going!
I might save seeds from it, even though it is a hybrid!
Old February 12, 2023   #6
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
I might save seeds from it, even though it is a hybrid!

Of course! If anyone has the space and inclination it's a fun thing to do and they just might get lucky!

Last edited by ddsack; February 12, 2023 at 09:43 AM.
Old February 12, 2023   #7
QAGuy
Tomatovillian™

I am trying to do some cuttings so I have a clone of that plant. I had one going, but after your comment, I decided to add two more.
Old February 13, 2023   #8
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Great idea on the cuttings!

Old February 20, 2023   #9
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

About 20 years ago I had moved out of San Diego temporarily and I was back for a visit--I think it was about this time of year too, definitely after New Year's Day and definitely a winter month. I was staying with friends, and noticed spots of bright red in their Santa Rosa plum tree. I was confused, as it wasn't plum season, and anyway the color was wrong. When I walked up to take a closer look, I realized it was a cherry tomato that had vined right up through the plum tree and was loaded with fruit. That plum tree was fully mature, at least 15 feet tall (you needed a ladder to pick the plums), and there were tomatoes right at the crown of the tree! I remember asking what the variety was, and my friends said that it was just some anonymous cherry tomato they'd purchased at Home Depot. Good flavor too! They joked that the tomato vine's performance was probably due to it being fertilized by the dog.
DK2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2023   #10
Altmer
Tomatovillian™

So cool to see. In Canada it is obviously impossible to get a one-year old tomato plant. I'm envious and amazed!

Taking cuttings in definitely the way to go! You could keep that thing going for years
Altmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2023   #11
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Sunsugar...my favorite cherry tomato has proven to be even better than I thought. I grow sungold and sunsugar each year, and the flavor and split resistance goes to sunsugar each year, with production probably an edge to sungold. Sungold throws more per truss, a bit smaller though.

It would pretty neat to have a sunsugar tomato stick around all year. A decade or so back I read a koontz novel (the one and only ever), and the only thing I really remember about the story was that there were "pepper trees" there in SoCal that stayed alive year round.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2023   #12
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

The "pepper trees" are probably Peruvian or Brazilian peppertrees which were introduced as ornamental trees, although they unfortunately tend to be invasive. These are in the Anacardiaceae (sumac/poison oak/poison ivy/cashew/mango) family. The Peruvian peppertree is one source of "pink peppercorns" (which obviously are not true pepper; true pepper is a vine from a different family). Some people are allergic to thie family in general and should avoid even the edible species like sumac, cashews, and mango.

Peppertrees get quite large--40+ feet tall--and in California are evergreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
Sunsugar...my favorite cherry tomato has proven to be even better than I thought. I grow sungold and sunsugar each year, and the flavor and split resistance goes to sunsugar each year, with production probably an edge to sungold. Sungold throws more per truss, a bit smaller though.

It would pretty neat to have a sunsugar tomato stick around all year. A decade or so back I read a koontz novel (the one and only ever), and the only thing I really remember about the story was that there were "pepper trees" there in SoCal that stayed alive year round.
DK2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2023   #13
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Could be...I would not want to re-read it to find out. But I would like a 40' sunsugar tree. I think the one above might be there in two more years.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2023   #14
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

We used to grow Galinas but switched to Sunsugar years ago. Awesome cherry tomato!!! We love the flavor, the production is insane every year and very little splitting unless we don't get out to pick. I have grown some monsters here in CT, but they die off come hard frosts.

Your plant is amazing! It's beautiful and healthy and I've never seen a tomato plant that big!!!!

Curious, if you take a cutting, what do you do with it then?
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote