Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 15, 2011   #46
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
Tell me more about German Johnson or German Queen. Several of my tomato plants are not doing well and one by one I am removing them and buying some large plants from a local nursery. One big seller is German Johnson and another is German queen. What is the yield on these plants. Are they fairly disease resistant? How do the tomatoes taste?

Elliot

LI, NY
Elliot, I've grown German Queen and while it's one of the most beautiful plants with PL foliage and blemish free large pink fruits as well, I don't think that much of the taste compared to many other varieties I like better. And I see Camo agrees with me on this one.

I haven't grown German Johnson, for it seems to be a variety mostly grown in the south. And Camo has noted that there are both RL and PL versions. I can't remember if it was Keith, who spent a lot of time in NC when he was getting his MS degree with Dr. Randy Gardner, or Farmer Dill who lives in the south and knows more about southern varieties of yore than anyone I know, he posts only at DG, who told me that both the RL and PL versions are legitimate and that one was grown in one area of the south and the other in a different area of the south.

Craig ( nctomatoman) lives in Raleigh and has said that roadside stands always have German Johnsons, no way to know what leaf type whenjust fruits are being sold, and it makes good sense to me that as Camo said, there could be modified leaf forms even within the PL and RL versions.

Mutations happen, crossing happens, but most places I think sell seed for the RL, but see the seed sources for both from the links below.

Aha, Tania remembered about German Johnson and notes that the RL was grown in VA and NC:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/German_Johnson

And some interesting info about the PL version;

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...on_Potato_Leaf

Hope that helps.