Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 15, 2011   #1
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Default Sweet-N-Bright

Received some tomato seeds labeled Sweet-N-Bright; is this the same variety as Hellfrucht?
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2011   #2
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I recently bought Hellfrucht and I was told by someone it was the same as Moneymaker, so I shall be thrilled to hear it is not.. shall watch with interest.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2011   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
I recently bought Hellfrucht and I was told by someone it was the same as Moneymaker, so I shall be thrilled to hear it is not.. shall watch with interest.

XX Jeannine
(except for one thing- in the Red tomato OP part she has got listed (Hellfrucht from Germany) and (Moneymaker) which is an old english variety,
Unfortunately the two tomatoes are one and the same,identical tomatoes, moneymaker grown in Germany is called Hellfrucht but it is still exactly the same tomato.)

The above cut and pasted from a UK tomato grower in 2009.

Tania also says that Ventmarin says they are the same.
Old June 15, 2011   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygreg View Post
Received some tomato seeds labeled Sweet-N-Bright; is this the same variety as Hellfrucht?
Gary, this site says they are the same and a couple of other links I saw on Google say the same.

http://www.turtletreeseed.com/section49.html

I don't mean to upset any Brits but I really don't like the taste of most of the older English varieties and that includes Moneymaker and Aisla Craig, which are two that I know I've grown, I can't remember the others right now.
Old June 16, 2011   #5
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I doubt you would upset any Brits with your opinion of Moneymaker, to most of us it like an old music hall joke.. definately the one you don't want to waste ground with..I kid you not. I don't know anyone in the UK who would give them space either.

It is still sold of course but generally to newbies who quickly ger educated to the better ones.

It was the first home grown tomato I ate , my father grew his first tomatoes when I was 10, he lovingly cared for therm with the help of a "how to" book and I was right there next to him all the way. I ate the first one to ripen and thought it was wonderful LOL. In fact I owe my love of tomatoes to Moneymaker and my Dads first greenhouse..however I would not grow them, and am the first one to laugh at them. You can imagine my embarrassment when I bought them under another name.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote