Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 8, 2011   #61
straz12
Tomatovillian™

I too love poblanos for chile rellenos, just simply bbqueing to put in tacos, or to put in eggs and potaotes. Except I don't like chile rellenos with a lot of egg. I just made them for my mom for mother's day with a roasted tomatillo salsa, as I love tomatillos. I just started some tomatillos. It's a bit late but we have a long season in Southern California. I'll see how it go's. Next year poblanos will be on my grow list. I just happen to have a picture of the rellenos that I made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rellenos.jpg (195.6 KB, 58 views)
straz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2011   #62
jgaleota
Tomatovillian™

Those look delicious!
jgaleota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2011   #63
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Yeppers. Makes ya want to reach through the screen and grab the plate.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2011   #64
kerry.heafner
Tomatovillian™

I tried growing CG here in northern Louisiana two years ago. I have to admit, I was more enamored with its looks than anything. I won't be growing it again. It simply didn't do well in this oppressive heat and humidity.
Old June 14, 2011   #65
acorn
Tomatovillian™

Can anyone recommend where I might find some CG seeds. I'm interested in growing this one next year.

- Aaron
acorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2011   #66
jgaleota
Tomatovillian™

I got mine from Tomatofest.
Old June 14, 2011   #67
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

I just cannot believe what you can learn by surfing the threads on this site. I stumbled upon this thread by accident. Kind of killing a few minutes before heading back outside.

I really just got into growing heirlooms big time about three years ago. I bought quite a few seeds from one vendor. One of those seeds was a LARGE RED.

I grew the LARGE RED but they never got too large and they looked really weird. My wife(the raw tomato eater) didn't like them either. Not knowing much, I figured it was just a bad seed or something and tried again last year. The same result......no large tomatoes but really strange looking fruit. I thought to myself, how the heck can these be called Large Red?

I saw the picture on the first page of this thread and almost fell off my chair. That's what I grew for two years!!!!!No mistaking it!

Now I understand about folks saying they got the wrong seed from vendors. I'm still learning about all these different types and what to expect.

There is absolutely no doubting I grew a Costoluto Genovese when I thought I was growing a Large Red. Wow!Wild!
BigBrownDogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2011   #68
jgaleota
Tomatovillian™

Hours and hours of fun!
Old June 14, 2011   #69
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrownDogHouse View Post
I just cannot believe what you can learn by surfing the threads on this site. I stumbled upon this thread by accident. Kind of killing a few minutes before heading back outside.

I really just got into growing heirlooms big time about three years ago. I bought quite a few seeds from one vendor. One of those seeds was a LARGE RED.

I grew the LARGE RED but they never got too large and they looked really weird. My wife(the raw tomato eater) didn't like them either. Not knowing much, I figured it was just a bad seed or something and tried again last year. The same result......no large tomatoes but really strange looking fruit. I thought to myself, how the heck can these be called Large Red?

I saw the picture on the first page of this thread and almost fell off my chair. That's what I grew for two years!!!!!No mistaking it!

Now I understand about folks saying they got the wrong seed from vendors. I'm still learning about all these different types and what to expect.

There is absolutely no doubting I grew a Costoluto Genovese when I thought I was growing a Large Red. Wow!Wild!
And they are LOUSY fresh but cooked...Out of this world!
Old June 14, 2011   #70
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I grew something last year, that Carolyn called "that THING" - it was suppsed to be some sort of heart, but was closer to some kind of large pear - or something. Horrendous fresh, absolutely horrendous. Taste, texture, everything. But it also made a decent sauce.

Brokenbar, I'll have to get on your list to try some of your Costoluto Genovese's next year, if possible.
Old June 14, 2011   #71
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
I grew something last year, that Carolyn called "that THING" - it was suppsed to be some sort of heart, but was closer to some kind of large pear - or something. Horrendous fresh, absolutely horrendous. Taste, texture, everything. But it also made a decent sauce.

Brokenbar, I'll have to get on your list to try some of your Costoluto Genovese's next year, if possible.
No Problem! I saved tons of seed from everything. One of the Forum members gave a scientific reason for the flavor change from fresh to cooked. CG is really BLAH fresh...almost mealy. The new paste I trialed, Venetian Marketplace, was a BIG ugly hunk of a tomato neither heart nor round or anything...just a big lump! It's flavor was fair to good fresh and I used it in Salsa. I just did not have the time or inclination to make a separate sauce using just it alone. Might be able to get my Kid to do it when he harvests in September.
Old June 14, 2011   #72
tam91
Tomatovillian™

"The THING" was very mealy also. Did make a decent marinara though.

Hopefully, I will have something you'd like in return.
Old June 15, 2011   #73
jgaleota
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=brokenbar;218715One of the Forum members gave a scientific reason for the flavor change from fresh to cooked. .[/QUOTE]

I must have missed this. Where can I find it?
Old June 15, 2011   #74
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaleota View Post
I must have missed this. Where can I find it?
It was a t least a year ago. Try searching the threads/posts using " Costoluto Genovese"