Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 12, 2011   #1
kerry.heafner
Tomatovillian™

Default The Dutchman!

Is anyone out there in Tomatoville growing The Dutchman this year? I have to say that it has already won me over. My largest fruit measures 5 1/8 inches in diameter (measured across the top...it's the only way I can reach it) and will probably be picked either Monday or Tuesday. All the vines are loaded; a single vine has already produced more fruit than our single Pink Brandywine did all year last year. The plants seem to be holding up to our notorious summer swelter, and no sign of BER or tomato hornworm (...knocking on wood right now...). I'll try to get a picture of this monster and post it.

(Now watch. I'll grow it again next year and it won't do a thing!)

In other news, Radiator Charlie's Mortgage Lifter just didn't make it. But, oddly enough, the Blue Ridge Mountains we planted at my mother-in-laws were absolutly gorgeous the last time I saw them. HUGE potato leaves and just loaded with flowers. I'm anxious to see what it's doing now. One variety out of the mountains croaked early on. The other seems to be flourishing. Who knows......
Old June 12, 2011   #2
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

My Husband grows Dutchman and I have to say, it is a gorgeous "to look at" tomato. I don't eat them but he says the taste is very fruity. They get HUGE and for such a large tomato, the plants are just packed with fruit. He says he had one two years ago that was just shy of 3.5 lbs. He liked that one slice was "just the size of a slice of bread"! I just asked him if there were any disease/problems and he says he had grown it for at least 6 years and never a problem. Carolyn probably knows it's family tree .
Old June 12, 2011   #3
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
My Husband grows Dutchman and I have to say, it is a gorgeous "to look at" tomato. I don't eat them but he says the taste is very fruity. They get HUGE and for such a large tomato, the plants are just packed with fruit. He says he had one two years ago that was just shy of 3.5 lbs. He liked that one slice was "just the size of a slice of bread"! I just asked him if there were any disease/problems and he says he had grown it for at least 6 years and never a problem. Carolyn probably knows it's family tree .
Your description sounds wonderful--I love "fruity" tomatoes and you say your husband never has disease problems with them--I'm sold. I think they'll be on my list for next year.
Sunsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2011   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing all three that you mentioned but they're still only at the flowering stage and I'll know soon if the mini heat wave we had a negative effect on pollination. Happy to hear that the Dutchman is doing so well for you and hope it likes it up here as well.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2011   #5
frogwash
Tomatovillian™

Out of curiosity--from whom did you acquire your seed?
Old June 13, 2011   #6
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

Dutchman is in the ground here and hopefull now with the good comments that I have heard. My first time growing it.
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2011   #7
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty_b View Post
Dutchman is in the ground here and hopefull now with the good comments that I have heard. My first time growing it.
My Husband got his from Tomato Fest. There are several places offering seed including Reimers and Baker Creek.
Old June 13, 2011   #8
Tania
Tomatovillian™

I am growing The Dutchman this year - looking forward to taste these wonderful tomatoes!

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2011   #9
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2011   #10
lurley
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Dutchman for the first time so good to hear positive things about it.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2011   #11
kerry.heafner
Tomatovillian™

frogwash, I got the seed from Baker Creek. VERY good germination.
Old June 13, 2011   #12
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I should have said that my Husband grew Dutchman both in Wyoming & Mexico..two growing environments that might as well be on two different planets!
He has a "Beefsteak Jones" ( or really large tomatoes whether or not they are truly beefsteaks.) He told me he considers this one of his "top 5" for gynormous tomatoes and not solely because of it's size but for all the other things I described in my previous post as well. And...he said it was pretty early for a giant tomato, about 80 days most years.

I am always giving him a hard time because he likes "The Freaks" of the plant world...big, ugly, weird-colored, misshapen. That's okay, 'tho because he had a sign made for my breeding barn that said "bring me your tired, your lame, your infertile..." I like to "fix" things and also like puzzles and problem solving so a mare that had been declared "infertile" was like crack to an addict for me.

I will give him this...his garden is "interesting"...
Old June 14, 2011   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Seeds for the Dutdchman are also sold by Glecklers. Ami

http://www.glecklerseedmen.com/p80687_160844.aspx
Old June 14, 2011   #14
frogwash
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info. Can't wait til next year now.