Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 12, 2011   #1
dsulli57
Tomatovillian™

Default Drip Irrigation

I installed a drip system for the first time this year for use on about 36 Celebrity plants here in east central Alabama. We are in the midst of a drought and I am at a loss for how to guage the amt of water to apply now that I am near maximum fruit production.
dsulli57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2011   #2
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I go by the rating of the nozzle and time.
I used large drippers last year. I think they were 2 gal per hour ones , spaced 12 inches apart. One on each side of a plant. Them I applied by time. Such as 15 minutes would put 1 gal to each plant. Then watch for results and change time as needed. Maybe even twice a day in sandy soil and hot days.
I kind of like the bigger drips that don't plug up with out filters and have referred to my system "dribblers".
Kenny
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2011   #3
dsulli57
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloken View Post
I go by the rating of the nozzle and time.
I used large drippers last year. I think they were 2 gal per hour ones , spaced 12 inches apart. One on each side of a plant. Them I applied by time. Such as 15 minutes would put 1 gal to each plant. Then watch for results and change time as needed. Maybe even twice a day in sandy soil and hot days.
I kind of like the bigger drips that don't plug up with out filters and have referred to my system "dribblers".
Kenny
Thanks, that was helpful. I am using T-tape w/ a low flow and have been going once daily for 1 hr. Then I have been going by how the plants are doing.
Old June 13, 2011   #4
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't water daily. I'd give them a good soak once a week or maybe 5 days. If your plants are mulched well, this should be all the water they need with a drip system.
Old June 13, 2011   #5
dsulli57
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reply.