Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 9, 2011   #1
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Default Physiological Leaf Curl

Suddenly half of my tomato plants have what I think is physiological leaf curl -- edges curling up and tough, leathery texture -- but no discoloration, holes or bugs.

From what I've read, there will still be tomatoes and it's likely to clear up. However, it sure is scary looking. It makes me nervous.

I wonder if it could have to do with all the rain we had in May. Now it's been hot for a week, which the plants seem to love. They began to grow very fast all of a sudden.

The younger, smaller plants, bought at a nursery and from a friend about two weeks ago, don't have it, although they, too have grown phenomenally.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Christine, overprotective mater mom
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2011   #2
Structure
Tomatovillian™

My climate is so different that it probably doesn't help, but I have heavy leaf roll every year on most plants. I think it's due to our very cool nights (still hitting high 40s...darn marine layer). But then it may be related to other causes.

The good news is that I still seem to get good production and longevity. I wouldn't say that it doesn't concern me at this point (honestly, it still bugs the heck out of me!...), but I no longer worry it's a doom and gloom situation.
Structure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2011   #3
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

Every time I read the words leaf curl, I think of the herbicide residuals that were in the manure I purchased this season.......urrrrgh.
mysidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2011   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I too have found some plants with some kind of unusual leaf growth.

Some of my medium to smaller plants are showing what looks like 2,4,D damage or CO damage -- odd narrow curled and twisted. I found 3 flats in 2 different areas of the greenhouse.

I've seen CO damage before in a greenhouse that had a bad heater. But this greenhouse is hydronic heat from an outside wood/water stove. And the stove has been off for several weeks since it's been cooking hot outside til yesterday.

I put them outside in "isolation" in case it's something else. I'll try to get some pics later today.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2011   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...aqi=g1&aql=&oq=

A general Google search on leaf roll, leaf curl, etc., all you'd want to know.

It isn't unusual to see young plants develop leaf curling or rolling early in the season and has been said to be due to an imbalance between root and foliage growth.

Once the plants get bigger and mature that imbalance corrects itself and the foliage is normal.
Old June 10, 2011   #6
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

cdbva/Christine,

It seems you're a bit concerned and nervous. Based on what you're saying that there is no discoloration, holes, or bugs, I want to assure you there is absolutely no cause for concern. I live about an hour and a half drive north west of you. I have had basically the same weather which caused them to grow a little too fast. So, yes I am seeing the exact same thing you are, only I have no concerns or fears. I like big honkin' tomato plants loaded with tasty fruit and that's exactly what I expect to get.

A few years back I made a post on another web site because there had been a lot of questions about it. I am going to supply the link and hope that I don't get in trouble with the moderators. Here's the link:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...828287141.html

I hope this helps and that you feel better about it.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2011   #7
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

The first picture in Randy's link shows curl identical to a couple of plants in my garden this year. The amount of curl I'm seeing seems to be related to the time the plant has been in the ground and the current size of the plant.

My worst cases are two plants I bought from a nursery in Oak Ridge, TN. One was listed as "Black" and the other as "Cuor di Bui". Both were 18 inches or more when I got them and are now well over 2 1/2 feet tall. My brother also bought some plants that day. All plants we purchased that day were showing some leaf discoloration that you see when the plants have been over-fertilized. We brought this to the attention of the attendants, so the price was cheap - 50 cents each. All were planted with their rootballs intact. Talking with my brother this morning, he says all the ones he bought were showing leaf curl.

Since our weather has been so dry over the past two weeks, I was beginning to think that the intensity of the sun combined with lower wetness in the soil was just causing the plants to go into some kind of "self-defense" mode and curl their leaves to slow down the photosynthesis process. This would agree with the statements above that the plant has more foliage than the root base could comfortably support.

I've seen this occasionately in past years and, as stated, it gives some anxiety for a while and then goes away - probably as the root system catches up.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2011   #8
sweetdz
Tomatovillian™

So glad I saw this post. I am new to growing tomatoes and was getting worried about a few of my plants because the leaves were looking curled. But it fits perfectly with what was described. We had tons of rain about 10 days ago and then record heat this past week. And it is showing up on the guys that were growing vigorously - Paul Robeson, June Pink, and Cherokee Purple. Glad to hear it isn't something to be too concerned about and that the plants will balance out in a few weeks.
sweetdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2011   #9
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Now that I saw the pics, I know that what I have isn't what everyone else is talking about. I have a bit of that type of leaf roll too but we will see a bit of that almost every day before we need to water. Especially on the bigger root-bound plants.

I may have mis-named what I called CO damage. Carbon monoxide. I think the real name is Ethylene damage. It's been over 20 years since I had that problem on the old farm with a maladjusted heater.

But now since we don't have a heater in there, I'm wondering if the extreme heat we had this last week (probably over 120* at times in the greenhouse) caused some kind of chemical out-gassing from the plastics in there. I've Googled Ethylene damage but couldn't get any decent pics tho many sites say to use tomato plants as a "canary" plant in your greenhouse because tomatoes are so sensitive to Ethylene.

Here are 2 pics of the worst flat. One of the whole flat and another closer of the worst plant.

Carol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg curl-1.jpg (179.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg curl-2.jpg (157.7 KB, 96 views)
Old June 10, 2011   #10
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Wi-sunflower/Carol:

I saw your earlier post and meant to comment. When saw the word twisted I knew that what you had isn't what we're talking about. When people use terms like twisted, disfigured, etc. in their descriptions the first thing I think of is exposure to 2, 4-D, gasoline, etc. Many things can cause this type of reaction including areosols. I don't know what you're plants have been exposed to, but you don't need me to tell you it isn't good for them and they don't like it.

Good luck figuring it out and when you do I'd like to know out of curiosity.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2011   #11
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Default Epinastic growth

Carol,

A while back I read an old research paper online (can't find it now) that indicated epinastatic growth in waterlogged tomatoes is the same as that in ethylene damaged tomatoes. In fact, the paper showed ethylene concentration was increased in waterlogged soil and may have been the cause of the epinasty.

If I can find the link to the article I'll post it. Don't know if it is related to your problem but it was interesting to read.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2011   #12
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Well, holy moly. When I went to the garden tonight, 3/4 of it had cleared up -- or at any rate, a bunch. Enough to be cause for rejoicing.

Randy, your 2008 post is terrific, especially the photos. "...torrential rain followed by record setting heat" happens to be just what we've had (and you too, no doubt).

My favorite chum at the garden has leaf curl far worse than I, and all he's growing is hybrids. He'd been watering too much, even with the rain, and a few days ago I finally convinced him to give it a rest. His plants were also much recovered today.

TY for the search link, Carolyn.

Christine

P.S. Curly-leaved tomatoes from Oak Ridge, Ted... It kinda makes a person want to say hmmmm. And maybe switch to something pre-packaged with a lot of high-fructose corn syrup.

(Just kidding
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2011   #13
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbva View Post

Christine

P.S. Curly-leaved tomatoes from Oak Ridge, Ted... It kinda makes a person want to say hmmmm. And maybe switch to something pre-packaged with a lot of high-fructose corn syrup.

(Just kidding
Yeah, you know, when I think about it, I did take down all the night lites in the house and turned off the outside lights and we still see quite well after dark.

Seriously, I did buy a load of mushroom compost from that same nursery and it is "too hot". (Pun intended) So, I'll not use it till next year.

Right now, it is "lighting up" the potatoes and peppers.

With tongue in cheek,

Ted

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2011   #14
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Steve,

You may be on to something with that mention of "waterlogged soil". Last week we had mid to upper 90s for 4 days. The greenhouse was probably over 120 during much of that time so we had to water 2-3 times / day to keep the plants from getting droopy or crispy. There are plants of all sizes in there too. From root-bound to just transplanted. Those that are showing the twisting growth are not the smallest plants but still rather small. they probably didn't need as much water as the big plants so could have been over-watered.

I'll have to check tomorrow and see how they are doing and if any others look bad now that the weather has changed here. I'm too fried from the market to go out there now tho.

Carol
Old June 12, 2011   #15
SaberTooth
Tomatovillian™

I have a number of plants that have leaf curl but the varieties that seems to be impacted the most are Mortgage Lifter and a new variety I obtain from Poland this year (Robin F1). We had a lot of rain this spring and then got hit with 100+ degrees here in western TN. Reading the article, it almost describes my exact situation. I hit the plants today with some high phosphorous, lower nitrogen fertilizer today and we got a nice rain shower this afternoon to hopefully cool things off to the low 90's. It will be interesting to see what if any impacts both will have. So far the plants look green and a few are loaded with fruit much lke the third picture in the article. Glad to see this is not some systemic disease and it gives me hope the plants will live to fruit ripening.
SaberTooth is offline   Reply With Quote