Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 30, 2017   #91
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2017   #92
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I had to do it! I was compelled by an irresistible force to post this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHNczNvOnGc
It's been too long since I last saw the llama video!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2017   #93
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

So now that it's legal here in MA, I'm wondering how many companies are taking the time to revisit their drug testing policies. This came up a couple of days ago when I was talking to someone who works in HR for a local company.

Most companies that drug test apparently use the national standard of 50 ng/ml urine test level. Based on several sources, including Wiki, medical, science organizations and even government sites, an occasional user can have a reading at or above that level for several days or even a week after partaking, and a heavier user for as many as several weeks.

The standard level has nothing to do with impairment and seems to be strictly a test for use. As it's no longer illegal to use it, I'm wondering if these policies will still hold water when used to suspend or terminate an employee?
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2017   #94
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I'm wondering if these policies will still hold water when used to suspend or terminate an employee?
The old "It's still illegal at the Federal Level" will still be the excuse used for virtually everything. There seems to very very few legislators with the courage do do the right thing.Until that changes,or a corporation demands it (via lobbyists),little will be done.

We recently had a President that many expected would do something about this,but he just left the issue hanging...and I fault him for that.
Old January 31, 2017   #95
4season
Tomatovillian™

Just a minor historical note. I was told mj grew wild along the railroad tracks near Biloxi, Miss. When I was stationed at Keesler Air Force Base, a couple of guys picked a bunch put it in a pillow case and tried to dry it in a dryer at the base laundromat. Police hauled them off.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #96
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Urine testing is not a scientifically accurate way to quantify (or measure) the concentration of THC (or actually the THC-COOH metabolite) in the blood. Just think about what drinking a lot of water would do to the relative amount of THC in the urine. Urine tests can be used to show prior use . . . but because THC is fat soluble . . . the time varies widely.

I just read a case where a teacher was fired from her job for testing positive. But, she was in Colorado sometime before. OTOH, there are plenty of things you can be fired for that are legal.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #97
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have heard people eating bread with poppy seeds test positive.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #98
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

All the common urine screens for marijuana say that additional testing needs to be done to confirm a positive result. I usually send my clients for an independent blood test if they say they haven't used. So far, the blood tests have ruled out any marijuana use 100% of the time.

Then again, my "success rate" reflects the fact that those that have used, are not going to waste the considerable time, money and effort to get a blood test.

Jeff
Old January 31, 2017   #99
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Could you imagine the same blood tests for those who use alcohol if it were still illegal? No ma'am or sir - you don't get the job - your GPA is 4.0, but you drank a Bud Light 4 days ago.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #100
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Saliva test will not show up positive for stuff that happened some time ago.
A urine test will not show positive for someone that takes a puff or two every now and then.
People at work were flabbergasted I always passed my drug tests.
They have spooked people into thinking that the slightest puff will make you fail it just isn't so.

I used to tell the people at work it isn't against company policy to smoke weed it is against policy to fail a drug test.
When you look at it in this manner it is totally different.

I also used to say at work that I haven't smoked weed in a long time now, it must have been two or three weeks.
They would say dont say that too loud they will make you take a drug test.
Fine go ahead paid time off from the job.
I would get to the drug testing place and they would tell me to go in the bathroom and pee.
I dont have to pee right now and sat down and read a magazine.
You can have it when I get darn good and ready to give it to you.
You cant make me pee.
One time I sat at the clinic all afternoon.

I find it amazing that the very people that came up with these drug testing and drug laws and so on dont have to take a drug test.
Are we to assume they dont do drugs or smoke weed.?
I think not.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #101
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
All the common urine screens for marijuana say that additional testing needs to be done to confirm a positive result. I usually send my clients for an independent blood test if they say they haven't used.

Jeff

However, if use is legal, as it now is in MA, then a positive result shouldn't be a problem. And if the basis of a drug policy is to determine impairment, then it seems a positive urine test is meaningless.

I can see a lot of cases like the teacher who visited Colorado popping up if companies don't take the time to research facts and review their policies. It'll be interesting to see how things unfold...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #102
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Please start a Tobacco thread when you get cranked up so us curious folks can follow your progress!
I could provide some help on that one. Born, raised & still live in Burley tobacco country. At one time every farmer around here raised tobacco, but not anymore. I still own all the equipment & barns to cure it in. Lots of labor intensive hard work. But I wouldn't trade my childhood around it for anything. Taught me a work ethic.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #103
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

& yes I've grew/smoked MJ before but can't say that it was legal.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #104
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
However, if use is legal, as it now is in MA, then a positive result shouldn't be a problem. And if the basis of a drug policy is to determine impairment, then it seems a positive urine test is meaningless.
I don't think that follows. A company policy is quite independent of the legality of the substance, except as justification to th company for establishing it. Medical use, however, may constitute a legitimate exception.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #105
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

I agree with dmforcier - legality has little to do with most company policies.

For example, some companies have dress codes - there's nothing illegal about the way you dress . . . though, undressing can get you in trouble!