Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old March 10, 2013   #1
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Default Canary melons-to heavy for trellis?

Has anyone grown Canary Melons? And if so are they to heavy to grow on a trellis? Any other hints? I have a variety called Amy
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2013   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I don't know if they are too heavy, but I have seen slings used to hold heavy melons up on trellises.

Last edited by Doug9345; March 11, 2013 at 09:25 AM.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2013   #3
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Yep, I've heard of a lot of people using the slings for fairly large melons and squash. (Not like the big watermelons, but some of those winter squash that I've seen have been at least as large as a canary melon)

Just make sure your trellis is REALLY secure and strong. If the melon is near the top, it can easily overbalance in a wind.

Last edited by livinonfaith; March 10, 2013 at 11:47 AM.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2013   #4
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

The mesh bags that store bought oranges come in can be used to support melons on a trellis.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2013   #5
kichaimsten
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
I don't know if they are too heavy, but I have seen slings used to hold heavy melons up on trellises.
Years ago when I was intensive gardening in San Jose, I planted what I thought were Cantaloupes from Orchard Supply, and when the vines went crazy, I tied them up to stakes. When the fruits started to crack the vines,I made slings from discarded pantyhose.... It worked really well. Didn't get any Cantaloupe though, seems some previous lookyloo switched the tags from a Cantaloupe into the tray holding Pumpkin plants... The joke was on me! LOL!!! I did have the roundest Pumpkins I'd ever seen though...
kichaimsten is offline   Reply With Quote