Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old February 24, 2011   #1
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

Default Squash flower question

I have a single (surviving but healthy)squash plant growing right now and it regularly produces flowers. Unfortunately, all flowers are males.

Is there something wrong with my plant or is there a trick/technique to make it produce female flowers?
pinakbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2011   #2
vagardener434
Tomatovillian™

Has it ever made a female ? I have some in my GH, yellow straightneck, that started out with all females, then gradually the males started coming in. I've only got 4 plants. They seem to go in cycles, lots of males, then lots of females. Fortunately, I've been able to catch enough male/female at the same time to get quite a few pollinated.

Bobby
vagardener434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2011   #3
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

I had gray zinni zucchini or something like that do that last year it only produced males, the plants were huge but got nothing from them. Will be planting black beauty zucchini this year as its always has produced.
Old February 28, 2011   #4
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Do you know what kind of squash it is? I grow one variety called (italian) Zucchino da fiore, that is bred to produce mostly male flowers, for stuffing, or for chopping up and stuffing into other things (like poblanos..yum). Anyway, you could replant if you have time as they grow and produce relatively quickly, and in the meantime, search for squash blossom recipes, they are delish.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2011   #5
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Default lack of female blossoms

i have experienced the same problem for about 5 years and it is frustrating. the experience is the same even though i have tried more/less fertilizer, different varieties/locations. i used to have loads of squash but, no more. i am going to contact the state agriculture people and see whats up with this. jon in selmer tennessee
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2011   #6
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Default female squash blossoms

i just talked to a man from the state of tennessee agriculture dept in jackson, and he had no answer for this problem. as regards the male blossoms i have learned to deep fry them but mostly i eat them off the plant or use them in a ramen noodle soup concoction with green onions, garlic chopped celery and lots of HOT pepper along with cajun seasoning, black pepper and vinegar.. that is my breakfast and it certainly gets the day off to a good start.
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2011   #7
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagardener434 View Post
Has it ever made a female ? I have some in my GH, yellow straightneck, that started out with all females, then gradually the males started coming in. I've only got 4 plants. They seem to go in cycles, lots of males, then lots of females. Fortunately, I've been able to catch enough male/female at the same time to get quite a few pollinated.

Bobby
Until today, no female flowers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurley View Post
Do you know what kind of squash it is? I grow one variety called (italian) Zucchino da fiore, that is bred to produce mostly male flowers, for stuffing, or for chopping up and stuffing into other things (like poblanos..yum). Anyway, you could replant if you have time as they grow and produce relatively quickly, and in the meantime, search for squash blossom recipes, they are delish.
Its the every day squash variety here we call "calabasa".

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppero View Post
i just talked to a man from the state of tennessee agriculture dept in jackson, and he had no answer for this problem. as regards the male blossoms i have learned to deep fry them but mostly i eat them off the plant or use them in a ramen noodle soup concoction with green onions, garlic chopped celery and lots of HOT pepper along with cajun seasoning, black pepper and vinegar.. that is my breakfast and it certainly gets the day off to a good start.

We also use the blossoms for cooking. I only get max 3 flowers blooming on the same day.
pinakbet is offline   Reply With Quote