Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 7, 2019   #1
4season
Tomatovillian™

Default fertilizer ?

Diesel exhaust fluid is 37% urea dissolved in water. If it is diluted would it be a reasonable source of nitrogen ? My son just brought 8 "empty" 55 gallon barrels home and there are another 30 available if I want them.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2019   #2
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Seems fine. Should be used quite diluted, better more often in small doses, as the ammonium which will form can burn roots, and also it's partly volatile in form of ammonia.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2019   #3
shule1

I would be concerned about the other 63%. Many car substances contain toxic components.
Old August 9, 2019   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

That 63% water is more pure than tap water.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2019   #5
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4season View Post
Diesel exhaust fluid is 37% urea dissolved in water. If it is diluted would it be a reasonable source of nitrogen ? My son just brought 8 "empty" 55 gallon barrels home and there are another 30 available if I want them.
uh, I would really question using this on plants. WHAT else is in DEF ? this is designed to burn through a diesel engine. oh never mind.. I went and looked it up. Worth is totally correct. the rest is just water. Is a great question to ask as I am so allergic to urea its great to know this.

Last edited by clkeiper; August 9, 2019 at 06:56 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2019   #6
shule1

I'd guess that Worth1 knows a lot more about cars than I do, but diesel exhaust doesn't exactly smell like I'd imagine pure urea and water smelling. Maybe it reacts with the metal on the pipe or some such. My prilled urea fertilizer doesn't smell like diesel exhaust anyhow.

Last edited by shule1; August 9, 2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old August 9, 2019   #7
shule1

There you go. I just showed you my ignorance. I didn't know you actually bought diesel exhaust fluid. I thought you meant like the exhaust in fluid form. But yeah, personally, I'd still be leery of hidden ingredients (not impurities, per se, but maybe stabilizers). I don't know what they're required to tell you by law.

Last edited by shule1; August 9, 2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old August 9, 2019   #8
4season
Tomatovillian™

OK, further reading. Diesels are set to run lean so there is no soot, however this leads to nitrogen oxides in the exhaust. With SCR, selective catalytic reduction, the urea reacts with nitrogen oxides so that fewer are released.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2019   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
There you go. I just showed you my ignorance. I didn't know you actually bought diesel exhaust fluid. I thought you meant like the exhaust in fluid form. But yeah, personally, I'd still be leery of hidden ingredients (not impurities, per se, but maybe stabilizers). I don't know what they're required to tell you by law.
Liquid diesel smoke for your next cookout.
There are no hidden ingredients.
Probably one of the purist forms of fertilizer you will ever buy.

It's just relabeled as exhaust fluid.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...fYPinAXh2c9WDH
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote